2018 Draft RB Thread

CalhounLambeau

6 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Mmmmhmmm

I wasn't the first to make the comparison btw, but the person who was first is kind of viewed as a super vilain so I'll just take the credit for now. I also compared Brian Robinson (Alabama) to Jay Ajayi. We'll see how that one works out in a few years once Harris, Scarbrough, and Jacobs are out of the way and he's splitting carries with Najee Harris and the other 5* RB's they'll have added. It was also pretty obvious guys like Cam Akers and Stephen Carr would be great players, and that's already working out for them too. I've also seen a JK Dobbins to Derrius Guice comparison. Kinda makes sense with how he's played so far. I can take credit for that one too even though that isn't at all original to me.

21 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

I wasn't the first to make the comparison btw, but the person who was first is kind of viewed as a super vilain so I'll just take the credit for now. I also compared Brian Robinson (Alabama) to Jay Ajayi. We'll see how that one works out in a few years once Harris, Scarbrough, and Jacobs are out of the way and he's splitting carries with Najee Harris and the other 5* RB's they'll have added. It was also pretty obvious guys like Cam Akers and Stephen Carr would be great players, and that's already working out for them too. I've also seen a JK Dobbins to Derrius Guice comparison. Kinda makes sense with how he's played so far. I can take credit for that one too even though that isn't at all original to me.

I'm just messing with you Dog. Having some fun. I believe you

On 10/22/2017 at 3:30 PM, IDOG_det said:

Compared him to Saquon Barkley before the season. I stand by that comparison.

Kind of reminds me of Dalvin Cook in a lot of ways. Add in some better athleticism and you have JT. You're pretty ballsy with your comparison, but I can see it too. 

6 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

What are the chances Saquon Barkley and Darrius Guice go 1-2 if to the Browns and 49ers if they stay? If I'm the Browns I'm not giving up on Kizer after a season.

I'd be very surprised. I can't see the Browns continuing to sit without a top tier QB prospect. For the 49ers, Barkley is an interesting selection, and I could see it to some extent. But I also believe that Shanny is a believer in scheme > talent at the running back position, and his and his father's history doesn't suggest that they would take a running back that high. In a draft that is "supposed" to be strong in the quarterback class, I feel like this could be a prime opportunity to trade out of #2 to someone who wants a quarterback since Jimmy G allows them to pass on a quarterback and potentially pick up that second round pick they just gave up and quite a bit more depending on the team. 

12 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

What are the chances Saquon Barkley and Darrius Guice go 1-2 if to the Browns and 49ers if they stay? If I'm the Browns I'm not giving up on Kizer after a season.

I'd put at less than 1% chance.  The last time that two RBs went in the top 5?  You have to go back to 2005.  The last time that the top two picks were RBs?  1977.  There just isn't enough value in taking a RB that early, and it doesn't have the positional value to push it up the board.

15 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

52% completions, 3 tds to 11 interceptions.  Obvious issues processing the speed of the game and going through reads (which was plain to see even at Notre Dame).  He's not the answer.  I guess they feel the same way because they tried to trade for McCarron today.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'd put at less than 1% chance.  The last time that two RBs went in the top 5?  You have to go back to 2005.  The last time that the top two picks were RBs?  1977.  There just isn't enough value in taking a RB that early, and it doesn't have the positional value to push it up the board.

Runningbacks went #4 and #8 this year and 2005 is a long time ago, but it also isn't that long ago. Also, it hasn't happened until it happens. I don't look at historical tends as end-all, be-alls.

On your second point, I think we're seeing RB -- specifically, an elite or top RB talent -- being highly valued again as offenses like the Cowboys, Chiefs, Steelers, and Cardinals flourish behind top RB talents. As I wrote, two RBs went in the top 10 this season and one went in the top 5 the year before that.

I don't think it's likely RBs go 1-2 but if both teams stay, I'd give it a fair shot.

On 10/31/2017 at 9:03 PM, Rich7sena said:

Runningbacks went #4 and #8 this year and 2005 is a long time ago, but it also isn't that long ago. Also, it hasn't happened until it happens. I don't look at historical tends as end-all, be-alls.

On your second point, I think we're seeing RB -- specifically, an elite or top RB talent -- being highly valued again as offenses like the Cowboys, Chiefs, Steelers, and Cardinals flourish behind top RB talents. As I wrote, two RBs went in the top 10 this season and one went in the top 5 the year before that.

I don't think it's likely RBs go 1-2 but if both teams stay, I'd give it a fair shot.

I wasn't trying to imply it was an end-all, be-all.  I'm merely looking at the history, since history tends to be the predictor of the future.  Right now, we're in a passing-oriented league and QBs are at a premium and RB value is at an arguably all-time low.

You talking about elite RB talent being of value, I'd argue of those franchise only two of them have meaningful offenses (Cowboys and Chiefs), and the latter I'd argue has gone to the next level because of the play of their starting QB.

Not only do RBs have to be among the best values available, but there also has to be a need.  To me, that's a HUGE stretch.

On 10/31/2017 at 6:39 AM, Rich7sena said:

Guice will need to show a LOT more just to go in the 1st round never mind top 5

Archived