Kawhi Leonard wants out of San Antonio

BStanRamFan

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I would agree with this.  I just think in a vacuum, he'd prefer the Lakers for a number of reasons.

I mean what he prefers we really don’t know. What he views as important may not be the same as what Kawhi views as important. 

You said the Lakers are exponentially more attractive than the Clippers. Which isn’t necessarily true or rather that’s overstated.

10 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

I mean what he prefers we really don’t know. What he views as important may not be the same as what Kawhi views as important. 

You said the Lakers are exponentially more attractive than the Clippers. Which isn’t necessarily true or rather that’s overstated.

The Lakers are definitely more attractive than the Clippers.  When was the last time the Clippers got a big time free agent?  And the two 'superstar' players they have had in Chris Paul and Blake Griffin are no longer even playing for that franchise.  It's not overstated at all.  

51 minutes ago, showtime said:

The Lakers are definitely more attractive than the Clippers.  When was the last time the Clippers got a big time free agent?  And the two 'superstar' players they have had in Chris Paul and Blake Griffin are no longer even playing for that franchise.  It's not overstated at all.  

To be fair. They didn’t have much cap space during the lob city era and pre that Donald sterling didn’t want to pay anyone and no one wanted to play for him. 

1 hour ago, showtime said:

Heck even DeAndre Jordan is gone now. There's really nothing appealing about the Clips other than their geographic location.

12 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

You're right, we don't know what Kawhi prefers.  But in terms of what the Lakers and Clippers have to offer, it's not even close.  The only reason I could see Kawhi preferring the Clippers is if he really wants to be the face of a franchise, and not be the "sidekick" to LeBron.  Other than that, the Lakers are the more obvious choice.  They have better branding, a brighter history, a core in place, and more likely to win a championship as currently constructed.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The only reason I could see Kawhi preferring the Clippers is if he really wants to be the face of a franchise, and not be the "sidekick" to LeBron.

Wasnt there a report that one of the reasons he wants out is to expand his brand? I know the big reasons are the injury and his subsequent treatment of said injury physically and emotionally. However, I am pretty sure there was a report during the season saying that Kawhi's team wanted him out of SA to get to a market where they can expand on his star status and really bring in the endorsement dough. If reason 1 is to leave SA, and reason two is to get to LA, wouldnt this be reason 3? 

4 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Wasnt there a report that one of the reasons he wants out is to expand his brand? I know the big reasons are the injury and his subsequent treatment of said injury physically and emotionally. However, I am pretty sure there was a report during the season saying that Kawhi's team wanted him out of SA to get to a market where they can expand on his star status and really bring in the endorsement dough. If reason 1 is to leave SA, and reason two is to get to LA, wouldnt this be reason 3? 

I mean, does anyone think his brand is affected by playing with the Lakers and LeBron?  I'd make the argument that even as a "sidekick" with Lebron, his brand is bigger with the Lakers than with the Clippers.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, does anyone think his brand is affected by playing with the Lakers and LeBron?  I'd make the argument that even as a "sidekick" with Lebron, his brand is bigger with the Lakers than with the Clippers.

I disagree. LeBron is always going to get the lions share of the credit for team success (and failure) as well as the lions share of the media attention. Thats why endorsements want, those guys getting all the attention. Living under LBJ's shadow, people are always going to say his name first and Kawhi's second. That is not ideal. 

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

I disagree. LeBron is always going to get the lions share of the credit for team success (and failure) as well as the lions share of the media attention. Thats why endorsements want, those guys getting all the attention. Living under LBJ's shadow, people are always going to say his name first and Kawhi's second. That is not ideal. 

But is Kawhi's brand really going to be bigger being the top banana in a Clippers' uniform or is going to be bigger as the second banana in a Lakers' uniform?  Personally, I think it's the latter.

23 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

But is Kawhi's brand really going to be bigger being the top banana in a Clippers' uniform or is going to be bigger as the second banana in a Lakers' uniform?  Personally, I think it's the latter.

I think we will have to agree to disagree. To me, the fact that its second banana to LeBron freaking James makes a big difference. I still think the former even with someone else in that first slot, but the difference between the two options wouldnt be as big. When you aren't the big fish, you share and get less of the media, the attention, the interviews, the face time, etc etc. When you are the only fish, you get it ALL. I think that will do more for him off the court. 

23 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I think we will have to agree to disagree. To me, the fact that its second banana to LeBron freaking James makes a big difference. I still think the former even with someone else in that first slot, but the difference between the two options wouldnt be as big. When you aren't the big fish, you share and get less of the media, the attention, the interviews, the face time, etc etc. When you are the only fish, you get it ALL. I think that will do more for him off the court. 

I mean, Kyrie had no issues getting publicity despite being the Robin to LeBron's Batman.  Add in the fact that the Lakers are more marketable than the Clippers, and it's not really much of a debate.  I mean, last year the Lakers were 10th in average home attendance.  In comparison, the Clippers were 22nd by almost 2000 less per game.

@Danger @CWood21 Y’all are really underestimating the Clippers. Like the world don’t revolve around the Lakers in LA. The Clippers have Doc Rivers who is a better coach than Luke Walton. The Clippers also have Jerry West who is better than Magic when it comes to managing a team. I trust those two guys to build a team to compete for a championship in the future. People didn’t think much about the Warriors but Jerry West turned that team to a dynasty by drafting Steph, Klay, Draymond, and getting Iggy. I do agree that Kawhi wants to be the face of a franchise instead of a sidekick. He would be just that with the Clippers.

12 hours ago, Danger said:

It's a risk worth taking IMO. I will keep harping on what Jalen Rose said about PG staying in OKC. Great players don't want to be on three different teams in three years. Kawhi will be going to a big market and be on a team that could make the finals. Plus the team doctor will be a big plus. Celtics are a lock for everyone to make the finals as long as they are healthy, but Kawhi in Philly makes it a near toss up. 

Archived