Bell contract 2018

3rivers

3 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

bell might not get more on the open market, time will tell. I don't know the details of what they offered, but what if he has a subpar season and gets a deal next year that was less than what the steelers offered. It could be splitting hairs so to speak, and in such an event it makes one question how much he wanted to retire here.  I hope he sits out 8 weeks and connor/samuels contribute to a good rushing attack.  No need for the drama, time to move on. 

Now if I was to ask them to fix the D , that would be asking too much. That too might wait until about 8 weeks after they finally give up on dupree.

You're right time will tell.  And indeed if he gets hurt or has a bad year, then he probably won't get what the steelers offered him thus far but hes betting on himself.  But if he performs how he has thus far in his career, I'd be pretty surprised if some team with a lot of cap room doesn't offer him 16-17 million a year

27 minutes ago, Steelers22 said:

You're right time will tell.  And indeed if he gets hurt or has a bad year, then he probably won't get what the steelers offered him thus far but hes betting on himself.  But if he performs how he has thus far in his career, I'd be pretty surprised if some team with a lot of cap room doesn't offer him 16-17 million a year

but what are the teams with cap space , need RB and won't be drafting a RB ?  His options appear very limited and then he would also probably be playing for a team that isn't a contender.  I hope he sits 8 games and connor / samuels have a great season. Just tired of all this with bell and last year he showed up slow . Time to move on

1 hour ago, Steelers22 said:

Bell can most certainly get more out on the open market and the steelers, who are cap strapped, offered way above RB market value to get a deal done

Everybody gets caught up with the "per year" number. I know last year it was reported he turned down $13M a year supposedly but what was the Guaranteed amount? I'm curious to know what Guaranteed money was offered this year? 26-30-39, way less?

If they were only guaranteeing say Two years worth of money (25-30), he shouldn't of signed. People like to use the excuse about "paying the position" but the RB position has been exploited financially by Franchise"s for decades while every other position in football has increased.

Heard a stat today that 20 years ago the highest paid RB's (Faulk, LT, Smith,Ect) maxed out around $7M a season. Outside of the Rediculous AP deal (similar to Mike Vick in ATL) over paying far beyond the current market ,why shouldn't today's RB's get a pay increase like the rest? Why should Freeman and McCoy only be making $8m when every other position has had a 30-40% type increase with the cap?

I'm not suggesting Bell should get 17-18M but this idea he's not entitiled to North of 13+ with 35-40 guaranteed (only #'s I believe he cares about) is a joke. When you as an organization can somehow justify paying QB's 30, DE/DT's 20, WR's 18 but are allowed to use ,abuse and run RB's into the ground while on Rookie deals. Why would you change? Sorry but something should be done, taking a stance for future contracts from a players perspective. Unfortunately for Steeler fans, Bells that current player!

If it's not Bell it will be one of the other top tier RB's trying to reset the payscale in the coming years in accordance to the ever growing cap. Zeke, Gurley, DJ, someone! 

I'd love to know exactly what was realistically offered and asked for by both sides. A lot of presumptions being speculated over the "numbers" IMO.

1 hour ago, August4th said:

Steelers should be grateful Bell is a complete retard and turned this deal down. Paying an RB that much, especially one with the injury history and amount of carries/touches already on Bell, would have been one of the dumbest moves of the off-season.

Munchak's o-line will allow any RB to suffice. May not have Bell's skill set, but it's not needed to be a successful offense. Advanced stats support they don't need Bell as well:

11 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

Glad they didn’t pay him.  Way too much wear and tear on those tires going back to college.  Got to imagine they run him into the ground this year assuming he doesn’t hold out.  

the years on a contact dont matter in the NFL. I dont know why people dont understand that. Its basically a 2 yr contract, from what I assume with a majority of the money being hand in the first two years. After that, it might be easy to move on from him. Browns signed a lot of players this offseason. A lot of them could be easily moved after next year because of the way the money plays out. If the players play well, the Browns will keep them. If they dont play well, they will move on from them without any real consequence. Like Jarvis Landry's contract. On paper its 5yrs $75m. But basically has an out after 2 years. So really its like a 2yr $34m contract. Which is a lot in the short run but if he doesnt live up to expectations the Browns can move on from him with a cap hit around $4m. which is better than paying him $12-$14m he is owed per season after 2020. So basically the bell contact seems like its 2yrs +$30m. Makes him highest paid. Allows the Steelers to work him into the ground and in two years, move on from him for cheap than what is owed to him in a contract.

It be interesting to see how contracts work in the NFL, if they ever move to Fully guaranteed contracts like MLB and NBA 

I hope he doesn't decide to half-a$$ it this season like Mike Wallace did in his final year here. I really like Bell, as a player, but I've grown to be so tired of his constant drama. If he really wanted to retire a Steeler, like he claimed, then he would have signed the more than fair offer the Steelers gave him. He playing the victim in all of this is pretty pathetic. I'm glad that the contract situation has finally come to a crescendo.

7 minutes ago, buno67 said:

the years on a contact dont matter in the NFL. I dont know why people dont understand that. Its basically a 2 yr contract, from what I assume with a majority of the money being hand in the first two years. After that, it might be easy to move on from him. Browns signed a lot of players this offseason. A lot of them could be easily moved after next year because of the way the money plays out. If the players play well, the Browns will keep them. If they dont play well, they will move on from them without any real consequence. Like Jarvis Landry's contract. On paper its 5yrs $75m. But basically has an out after 2 years. So really its like a 2yr $34m contract. Which is a lot in the short run but if he doesnt live up to expectations the Browns can move on from him with a cap hit around $4m. which is better than paying him $12-$14m he is owed per season after 2020. So basically the bell contact seems like its 2yrs +$30m. Makes him highest paid. Allows the Steelers to work him into the ground and in two years, move on from him for cheap than what is owed to him in a contract.

It be interesting to see how contracts work in the NFL, if they ever move to Fully guaranteed contracts like MLB and NBA 

And this is exactly why the contract probably didn’t get done.  

Bell will make at least $15 Million a year next year. I don't think there is any doubt about that. I'm just glad the Steelers didn't overpay. With Ben AB and that OL, I don't think it's a stretch to think a Rookie RB can come in next year and pick up the slack. It's the easiest positional transition from College. 

Heard a rumor that quite a few teams heard what the Steelers offered Bell and that he turned it down and their reaction was "good luck getting that again".

Their assertion was that you got a team that knows his health and possible drug relation suspension better than anyone else in the NFL.  So it's going to be hard for teams not having the history of assessing what's going on there to commit as much money.  They also put out there that if he sits out games, and the running game still performs, then the other FO's are again putting another 'red flag' on big money to him because they will question how much of the ground game is from the OL.

44 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Heard a rumor that quite a few teams heard what the Steelers offered Bell and that he turned it down and their reaction was "good luck getting that again".

Their assertion was that you got a team that knows his health and possible drug relation suspension better than anyone else in the NFL.  So it's going to be hard for teams not having the history of assessing what's going on there to commit as much money.  They also put out there that if he sits out games, and the running game still performs, then the other FO's are again putting another 'red flag' on big money to him because they will question how much of the ground game is from the OL.

I agree.  The only way he gets close is if a team thinks he is the missing link to a SB.  Oakland may be that team.  I seriously doubt any other team, cap space or not, will pay over 13M.  10-12M is more likely if he has a good year.  My guess is he sits out 8 games.  That would be smart for him.

Archived