Julio Jones to skip start of Training Camp

Raves

So here is a problem players are going to have going forward, and no you don't get to have your cake and eat it too.  You don't get to sign a big long term deal with lots of guaranteed money and then complain a few years down the line when everyone is getting paid more than you or you get to be paid the highest in the league every year but you don't get the long term safety.  You either get the big money long term "safety and security deal" that'll be significantly less than what guys are getting two years down the line or your contract gets to be the highest in the league because you're signing a new one every year.  You don't get both.  Contracts increase every year, the money lesser players are getting is increasing every year.  If you don't like that, don't sign that long term contract.  But players want that long term contract because they want the safety and security of a long term deal. 

Safety and security of a long term deal.

Getting to be the highest paid player in the league at your position for longer than one or two years.

Pick one, you don't get both. 

Now, I once saw Hines Ward argue that every player in the NFL should sign/receive a one year deal  in order to get a deal commensurate with their value.  But I would think that would significant harm to the league (and subsequently the pool of money that could go around to sign NFL players) if it was possible for every team to have a close to 100% turnover rate from year to year.  Stuff like that is why I don't like college football. I  sometimes watch it for scouting purposes, but only for those reasons. 

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

"That glass looks half full to me"

"I dunno, it looks half empty to me"

"Whoa hey now that's a pretty crazy conclusion to jump to"

“Hopeful he reports to training camp” does not mean, “are going to be unhappy if he doesn’t report to training camp” and is a false conclusion to jump to. Don’t change people’s words just to build your argument.

The bottom line is, nobody put a gun to Julio’s head and forced him to sign the contract. He did it on his own accord and therefore it’s on him.

2 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

“Hopeful he reports to training camp” does not mean, “are going to be unhappy if he doesn’t report to training camp” and is a false conclusion to jump to. Don’t change people’s words just to build your argument.

The bottom line is, nobody put a gun to Julio’s head and forced him to sign the contract. He did it on his own accord and therefore it’s on him.

Equally just as bottom line, nobody put a gun to the Falcon's head and forced them to sign the contract. They did it on their own accord and therefore, it's also on them.

45 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Equally just as bottom line, nobody put a gun to the Falcon's head and forced them to sign the contract. They did it on their own accord and therefore, it's also on them.

So it’s Atlanta’s fault the market went up and the contract, which Julio agreed to, is not what he wants anymore? Nope. He could have taken shorter deals for more money and gotten paid based on how the market played out each year. Instead, he chose long term security knowing that the market fluctuates.

ignoring the awful comments by a particular poster....

i dont think this is a big deal. falcons cant rework a deal two years in, tgat sets an awful precedent. jones should have been smarter two years ago, but him missing some camp isnt an awful thing.

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

So it’s Atlanta’s fault the market went up and the contract, which Julio agreed to, is not what he wants anymore? Nope. He could have taken shorter deals for more money and gotten paid based on how the market played out each year. Instead, he chose long term security knowing that the market fluctuates.

seriously dude? logic? thats what youre gonna bring into this. it makes posts like "no one forced the falcons to sign the contract" just that much more cringeworthy if youre gonna use things like common sense.

I never see any problem with any player wanting to hold out for a better contract honestly.  Yeah, they signed a contract, but so did the team, which never stops the team from cutting someone mid-contract or trying to push them into taking a paycut.

7 hours ago, Danger said:

He signed a deal a few years ago and his guaranteed total money is 47/71 MM

He took most of it up front. If you don't like that then he should have explored other options. Unless it's a matter of a Rookie deal, I usually can't sympathize with players like this. You signed the deal, if the FO doesn't want to renegotiate that's on you and your agent.

I think any player needs to start looking at getting shorter fully guaranteed deals, go out and prove your worth then cash in again and again.

Yeah you are risking things a bit, but chances are you get way more money.

NFL contracts are trash, I commend guys like Howie Roseman for finessing the hell out of the league with deals...but from a players perspective they gotta be better at looking at the bottom line and not the optics of the biggest number because it's almost a myth that that is attainable to like 98% of them. They play on the emotions of guys to be team players and they end up hurting themselves. 

Like how often when a player does the team a solid is it returned on the next contract? 

I mean Julio agreed to a deal but I don't get why players are held to such a high standard whereas teams will toss players left and right every year.

Just now, Kiltman said:

I think any player needs to start looking at getting shorter fully guaranteed deals, go out and prove your worth then cash in again and again.

We've already seen LeBron and KD do this sort of thing in the NBA. Taking the 1 and 1's with player options.

Here's a Q&A on the topic of fully guaranteed deals, just to share some of the potential problems it would create

Anthony from Milwaukee, WI
Vic, would contract negotiations be easier if the NFL forced all contracts to be guaranteed? Is that something you would like to see?

"It would be a game killer. Incentive would be extinguished. Anybody who thinks these guys don't play for the money is either naive or chooses to delude themselves. The number of games lost to injury would explode. Effort would suffer. The old college try would be replaced by the guaranteed money flop. The only way to cope with the problems associated with guaranteed money would be to shorten contracts. One-year contracts would become the norm, which means the players would be free after every season. Roster turnover would be huge and the subsequent loss of identity would erode a team's fan base. I don't think it would be good for the game." 

We all saw how Deion Sanders made "business decisions" on the field, choosing to keep his jersey clean instead of making a hit. I think that's what would happen across the league if you take away the incentive part of earning a big deal. Its just human nature. With no incentives, the game would suffer immensely as players would opt to sit out with a hangnail instead of fighting for snaps on Sunday.

34 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Here's a Q&A on the topic of fully guaranteed deals, just to share some of the potential problems it would create

Anthony from Milwaukee, WI
Vic, would contract negotiations be easier if the NFL forced all contracts to be guaranteed? Is that something you would like to see?

"It would be a game killer. Incentive would be extinguished. Anybody who thinks these guys don't play for the money is either naive or chooses to delude themselves. The number of games lost to injury would explode. Effort would suffer. The old college try would be replaced by the guaranteed money flop. The only way to cope with the problems associated with guaranteed money would be to shorten contracts. One-year contracts would become the norm, which means the players would be free after every season. Roster turnover would be huge and the subsequent loss of identity would erode a team's fan base. I don't think it would be good for the game." 

We all saw how Deion Sanders made "business decisions" on the field, choosing to keep his jersey clean instead of making a hit. I think that's what would happen across the league if you take away the incentive part of earning a big deal. Its just human nature. With no incentives, the game would suffer immensely as players would opt to sit out with a hangnail instead of fighting for snaps on Sunday.

q&a from who? Sounds like bs to me personally, we see guaranteed contracts in other sports and effort rarely is an issue. if good players are taking one year deals in those other sports its usually by their choice. none of his concerns really seem that valid tbh.

Archived