Khalil Mack traded to the Bears (Page 19)

RaidersAreOne

I'm hoping the player involved is Amos.

I definitely would have wanted to keep Mack. We'll see why they felt they couldn't afford his contract in the upcoming years. 2 20M+ contracts could be a problem to build and keep a strong roster but it looked feasible from where i stand. Carr better be the answer at QB now. RM is about done.

4 minutes ago, Totty said:

In one of the forums someone said 

"Gruden is in year one of a ten year deal and knows he won't be fired"  That is an excellent point.  Right now I believe JG is running the show... 

What a joke. Smacks of Gruden wanting to be the star of the show. The guys ego is going to be our biggest problem.

23 minutes ago, Totty said:

I do understand everyones disappointment here.  At first I was stunned too, but the more I think about it....

I am a RAIDERS fan first and foremost.  In Oakland or Vegas it matters not to me.  I'll die that way.  

From a business perspective and team building perspective, and given the compensation this is the best possible outcome we could have hoped for.  Now, before you haul off and question my fandom consider a few things.  

I LOVE watching Khalil Mack play in silver and black.  I do.  There is very little we can count on as Raider fans.  One thing that we could look forward to on Sunday was 52 getting his no matter if we were up or down or in the hunt or not.  Opposing QBs needed to know where he was at at all times.  That is no longer.  

Signing Khalil Mack would have strapped us to the moon for the next 5 years.  You don't win championships with a QB, DE, and scrubs.  This is team building 101.  From what I am reading its looking like 2 firsts a second and a player.  Add in we don't have to pay 23 million a year to one guy, this is a win given it was never a certainty he'd resign with us after this hold-out anyway.  The franchise tag would have just backed him into a corner and p'd him off.  (See Lev Bell)  Gruden was right... we had a horrible defense WITH Mack.  If you take those picks and the available money and use it and spread it out over the rest of the team, we become better by subtraction.  Or at least potentially.  

When you look a this move, it sucks.  But football is a business.  If we could win Superbowls with a DE and QB and nothing else, we're foolish.  That isn't the case.  

FWIW Getting something for him in his prime is better than getting nothing once he is a FA.  

Maybe if we drafted well we'd have some good young players to win with, and neither Reggie or Gruden has shown they won't blow the picks or even sign decent FA's.

8 minutes ago, Totty said:

In one of the forums someone said 

"Gruden is in year one of a ten year deal and knows he won't be fired"  That is an excellent point.  Right now I believe JG is running the show... 

According to OTC if we wanted to re-sign Mack with the same structure we used for every player under RM, it had to be done last year. Makes you wonder why we signed Gabe and Roberts instead.

1 minute ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Are we just gonna sit on the $ all year bragging about our cap space or go and get another edge guy?

Cap room is rolling over to next season and we're supposed to be getting a player (and his cap hit) from the trade.

2 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Maybe if we drafted well we'd have some good young players to win with, and neither Reggie or Gruden has shown they won't blow the picks or even sign decent FA's.

Actually I see it a little different.  All signs (I know it early) point to Gruden having a great draft.  Miller (eh) Key, Hall, Hurst, ... it's not all bad.  Before this year, Reggie is 100% responsible for the player on this squad.  Including Mack, Carr, Jackson, Conley, previous starters, and from signing free agents.  It's not as doom and gloom as most are thinking.  You have 8 picks in the first two rounds the next two years.... You hit on 50% thats 4 starters.  If those players don't pan out... Anarchy.  

3 minutes ago, Totty said:

Actually I see it a little different.  All signs (I know it early) point to Gruden having a great draft.  Miller (eh) Key, Hall, Hurst, ... it's not all bad.  Before this year, Reggie is 100% responsible for the player on this squad.  Including Mack, Carr, Jackson, Conley, previous starters, and from signing free agents.  It's not as doom and gloom as most are thinking.  You have 8 picks in the first two rounds the next two years.... You hit on 50% thats 4 starters.  If those players don't pan out... Anarchy.  

Thats why there's already gonna be borderline anarchy. No sane person expects those picks to hit at 50% and even less chance that any are as good as Mack is.

Archived