Browns trade WR Corey Coleman to the Bills

Texansfan713

19 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

Tyrod Taylor was a capable starter but he is not a capable passer. He is a bottom 5 QB in terms of passing and anticipation but his legs create boom or bust plays, and he also scrambles a ton to avoid sacks.

The Bills and everyone else knows who and what Tyrod Taylor is now. Hence why they wanted to see what the rookie Peterman had last year. Josh Allen is the most capable arm talent and it's not really even close.

Getting a speedster on the other side of Kelvin Benjamin is a good idea for Allen's development whenever he takes the field.

I like this. It's a good way to describe him

40 minutes ago, Crickett said:

This doesn't follow for a couple of reasons.

Calling Tyrod Taylor terrible doesn't make him the worst in the league.  Buffalo had a terrible quarterback in Tyrod Taylor.  But they have managed to find a way to downgrade the position.  It's like how Cleveland had terrible quarterbacks in Josh McCown and Johnny Manziel, but managed to find a way to downgrade to Robert Griffin III and Cody Kessler and then managed to find away to downgrade again to DeShone Kizer.  Just because Kizer was the worst doesn't make RG3, Cody Kessler, Johnny Manziel or Josh McCown good, it just makes them better by comparison. 

But quarterback isn't the only position the Bills offense downgraded.  In fact, without the new addition of Corey Coleman, you could argue the Bills had an across the board degradation in talent with the sole exception of TE, where they stayed the same. 

Teams can get worse from one year to the next without an appreciable roster change.  Players get hurt, don't live up to their prior performances, etc.  Just ask the 2017 New York Giants.  We have a thread in NFL General asking which playoff contending team will collapse this year.  Because playoff contending teams collapse every year. 

I'd say the label "terrible" would certainly mean bottom 2 or 3 in the league. If fact, fans of no other team in the league would say their QB is terrible heading into this season. KC and Chicago are pretty much unknown but if you polled FF Teddy isn't going to be labeled terrible in NY. That just leaves Tyrod. The 8th, 18th and 16th rated passer the last three years as the only terrible QB in the league.

Unless of course anyone being below average is "terrible", then never mind but that is pretty vague.

41 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I'd say the label "terrible" would certainly mean bottom 2 or 3 in the league. If fact, fans of no other team in the league would say their QB is terrible heading into this season. KC and Chicago are pretty much unknown but if you polled FF Teddy isn't going to be labeled terrible in NY. That just leaves Tyrod. The 8th, 18th and 16th rated passer the last three years as the only terrible QB in the league.

Unless of course anyone being below average is "terrible", then never mind but that is pretty vague.

Passer rating is skewed in Tyrods favor because he didn't take any chances and would either throw it away or scramble if his first read wasn't there. I don't think he's a terrible QB, he's a capable starter, but if he's ever down by more than 2 scores - very rare he'll bring you back.

27 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

In the case of Tyrod Taylor, I'd say bottom five, bottom seven at best; but there is a case to be made he is a bottom three starting quarterback in the NFL, especially if you're assuming that a not-terrible Teddy Bridgewater is the starting quarterback for the Jets and not counting unknowns.   Just the same, if you polled FF, the worst QB situation in the league is without question Buffalo. 

Now, if the Browns have a surrounding cast of Josh Gordon, Antonio Callaway, Jarvis Landry, David Njoku, Duke Johnson, Nick Chubb, Carlos Hyde and possibly Dez Bryant, that's a group of talent that can elevate Tyrod Taylor. But subtract a few of those and things don't look nearly as rosy given the Browns offensive line situation. 

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Allen throwing bombs to Coleman could be nice for Buffalo. They don't need a consistent #1 as much as they needed some deep speed. They got that here for virtually nothing. As a Browns fan, I'm annoyed we let Coleman go for essentially nothing.

Too bad Allen couldn't throw the ball into Lake Erie.

2 hours ago, Elky said:

You don't know if anyone would be willing to trade for him at the deadline though. It speaks volumes about Coleman that they traded him for essentially a bag of Cracker Jack.

Then worst case scenario if they can't trade him is they simply have more depth at WR. I'm highly skeptical of their move given the off field history's of Gordon/Callaway and them still being on the roster. Just doesn't make sense to me given the investment they had in Coleman as a recent 1st round pick that has shown flashes the past 2 years. 

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

I would take him 100x over EJ Manual or Nathan Peterman. Jury is still out on Josh Allen or AJ McCarron, so he's the most competent of the group until proven otherwise. 

I agree he's not good, but he's better than the list above.

So you settle for mediocrity instead of trying to get better? Gotcha

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I like this. It's a good way to describe him

I was the BIGGEST Tyrod fan his first year starting. He’s deep ball was money, he made plays with his feet and rarely took sacks, then he regressed hard. His deep ball was non existant, he held onto the ball foreeeeverrrr, and he’s had one come from behind win in his career from more than i think 6 points and that was against the Bucs last year where Tre White stripped the ball and set everything up.

I’ll say this again. Tyrod is a PREMEIER backup. I will take him in that role 100000% but he’s not a franchise QB, and IMO if you don’t have a franchise QB, you try and try again until you have one. Josh Allen might bust, or he might be great, I have no idea and i see the reasoning from both sides, but I’d rather take that gamble than roll with what I know Tyrod Taylor is. 

I really hope he succeeds in Cleveland and proves me wrong and goes back to what he was his first year in Buffalo because he’s a grade A person, and professional. Great locker room guy, and player. 

7 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

So you settle for mediocrity instead of trying to get better? Gotcha

The Browns did get better by signing Tyrod Taylor who is an improvement over their QB's from last season. They also took a QB with their 1st overall pick, who may end up being a franchise QB. I'd hardly consider adding 2 upgrades to the QB spot in the offseason "settling for mediocrity"

6 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

The Browns did get better by signing Tyrod Taylor who is an improvement over their QB's from last season. They also took a QB with their 1st overall pick, who may end up being a franchise QB. I'd hardly consider adding 2 upgrades to the QB spot in the offseason "settling for mediocrity"

Going to a different franchise to be a potential stop gap is different than the situation he was in though.

7 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

And i was talking about the Bills not the Browns. They obviously don’t see Tyrod as part of their future either. 

4 hours ago, DawgX said:

A seventh in 2020? LOL. Coleman being a locker room cancer is the only way this trade makes any sense.

This. Unless there is something else "off the field" that hasn't come out yet being a cancer is the only thing that makes sense.

I've seen people bashing the move because they have "Josh Gordon" look what they allowed him to do, he's still a Brown etc,etc. However what if this is to help Gordon remain a Brown in the future? Meaning Coleman might be doing things to contradict Josh's recover? Purely speculative on my part of course but possible?

Honest question. Coleman ever have a Drug issue in college? Raging Alcoholic? Clearly his work ethic wasn't up to par but something else has to be at play here to give up so quickly.

You don't trade a high 1st Rd pick after two seasons for essentially a box of Juicy Fruits!

Archived