Hard Knocks Discussion

Mind Character

6 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

My takeaways:

Landry is SOOO needed on this team! We need more of him! And I'd bet he had something to do with Coleman getting axed. When that guy comes to me, as the GM, and tells me to get rid of a dude because he has a trash work ethic and mentality, says we can't win with said dude...I friggin listen.

Besides, Haley didn't seem in love with him either. He jumps his butt basically saying, play with some flipping effort, like you actually give a damn.

Next: Todd Haley and Hue seem to have a smidgen of tension. Haley thinks Hue is too soft on players, seems to be the drift, Hue being over worried about injuries. I get both sides, and in the case of a guy like Duke, I get being careful, but I think Hue was being easy on Coleman because of his girly hamstrings. Haley wasn't having it. Might be why Coleman insisted on practicing his off day, because he was catching so much flak from Haley and Landry. Either way, glad he's gone. Can't coach em. Can't win with em.

Defense is looking fast and hungry! Taking on the Greg Williams mentality. I had an idea. Maybe the coaches should put bounties on opposing players, reward our guys for knocking them out of the game. You know, for motivation. Think about it.

Was surprised the left tackle issue never made it to screen. Really thought Joe's retirement and the desperate search for his replacement would have been a story point.

4th string QB, not bothering to learn his name, is a funny dude? Gonna miss whatever his name was.

Dude his name is brogan roback it’s awesome and he’s awesome and I hope he’s our 3rd string qb next year 

1 hour ago, mistakey said:

Dude his name is brogan roback it’s awesome and he’s awesome and I hope he’s our 3rd string qb next year 

I actually do remember him looking pretty decent in video I was watching of Sam Beal. Also, heard he hasn't looked bad in camp. I hope you mean he ends up the #3 QB in 2019. Dorsey and Hue have said a few times how they want Stanton to help Tyrod in game planning early in the week and to help mentor Baker the rest of the time. They were very particular how they constructed their QB room.

But, I could easily see Brogan on the practice squad this year, and after Tyrod moves on next year, become the 2 or 3.

One last thing I forgot to mention, it seemed to me in Hue and Dorsey's convo about Flash, that Josh is Hue's guy. I bet Hue went to bat for Josh with Dorsey. Hue reading his text from Josh to Dorsey seemed to be him selling him on Josh.

3 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

One last thing I forgot to mention, it seemed to me in Hue and Dorsey's convo about Flash, that Josh is Hue's guy. I bet Hue went to bat for Josh with Dorsey. Hue reading his text from Josh to Dorsey seemed to be him selling him on Josh.

I don’t say this often. Good work Hue.

AWESOME AWESOME to see Haley, Kitchens, and Hue's interaction regarding having the players sit out based on the advisement of our medical/performance staff... those interactions are so cool to see...

I thought it was great to see Haley and Kitchens show their old schoolism but wisdom regarding building mental toughness, but even cooler to see the head coach hold firm and be the head coach as our sports performance department is data driven and has recently made strides as it relates to soft tissue injuries...

It's feel-good-guy-ism to say "screw it... if they get injured so be it... this is football..."

The "live in fears" Haley quote sounds and feels good and will stir the loins... but it's shortsighted in the context he was using it in that it ignores a body of sports performance knowledge expertise.... either way.. you want a coach like Haley that is going to push the line when it comes to building mental toughness..

Some staffs don't have such emotionally hot Alpha personality types like Hue, Haley, Williams, Kitchens etc... managing personalities and strong opinions is interesting to be able to watch..... Hue has a task on his hands... and so do the coaching traditionalist like Haley and Kitchens also have a task on their hands to come to grips with

Never Forget that this is Reality TV and things are edited for effect...Both Hue and Haley's answer weren't full context of their comments..

With that said....The mark of a healthy coaching room is one where the coaches feel free to speak their mind even when they oppose what's going on... AND the leader or head coach then can say "I respect your opinion but this is how we're going to do it.."

The back and forth between Hue and Haley about letting our sports performance staff recommend off days for specific players at risk of soft tissue injuries was nothing but healthy discussion... I already see online that people are taking that to say that there is real friction between Hue and Haley... and it's a real problem between them...

Interactions between coaches happen like that ALL the time and literally nothing but "we have football coaches on our team" should really be taken from that interaction...

We haven't been losing b/c Duke takes a day off to avoid a soft tissue injury...

9 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Agree with everything. Only thing that worried me was Haleys/Hue conversation. It seemed like a power stuggle and the coaches looked worried and were not on the same page as one another about where the team and operations currently sit.

The one thing I like however is that Haley, though not liking it, seemed to accept his answer, and the give a positive not to say that hes excited where we are heading.  A good "put your tail between your legs and accept your not the alpha here".  Hard to do but the right thing to do after the final decision has been made

12 hours ago, NateDawg said:

@Mind Character I’m very much not a Hue guy, for many reasons, but the post you brought back does have some good evidence. 

For me, I couldn’t stand Kizer as a prospect when we took him. But, I will comment that the way Hue ran the offense with (around, really) Kizer was beyond reprehensible. It was like he thought we had a veteran QB. No reliance on the run game (even when it was working). Struggled with settling things up. Poor game management entirely. I think I would have respected Hue a lot more if when questioned about things in postgame that were obvious coaching blunders, he wouldn’t snicker at the reporter. 

Like I said, he’s had very little QB talent here. But he seemed in over his head with what he had and seemed to get the least amount out of it. Here’s hoping Haley and Tyrod help turn things around.

Agreed, good post.

To me, a good coach would have built his offense around the running game, read options, familiar passing concepts from Kizer’s time at ND, etc. As @Thomas5737 phrased it previously, we should have lost from running it ineffectively, not because Kizer couldn’t win us the game with his arm.  

We had a raw, inexperienced rookie and he’s calling the most deep routes in the league and abandoning the run for nearly whole quarters at a time.  

Whatever Hue’s resume may be, that was awful coaching.

I definitely felt bad for Hue watching the first episode. I loved the hire at the time, so I truly hope he turns it around and proves to be a good head coach. But he absolutely has not proven that to be the case in two years here, despite having poor QB play.

35 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I definitely felt bad for Hue watching the first episode. I loved the hire at the time, so I truly hope he turns it around and proves to be a good head coach. But he absolutely has not proven that to be the case in two years here, despite having poor QB play.

So far Hue Jackson has proven that he is not a creative offensive coordinator and didn't know how to properly utilize his players.

The thing that I REALLY didn't like about him was how he threw his GM, and his players under the bus, in a save himself role, that is not a leader of men to me.

That being said, Joe Thomas LOVED him, and a lot of players seem to have his back, so I want to give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to being JUST the Head Coach.

See if he is removed from play calling responsibilities and offensive player personnel if he can properly manage the clock or know when to go for it and know the rules.

If he can't i have no use for him, but I've still got hopes that he can be a head coach in this league.  He just can't do both HC and OC....

10 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

I was in my feelings when Hue read that. 

Bless Josh. Bless 'em.

Archived