EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

13 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

Dear God, Arsenal have such a toxic fanbase.  I'm not sure which is worse: The fact that ArsenalTwitter moans like someone just backed an F350 over their one-month-old kitten when Willian is brought on... in a match where we're leading 4-1 (and in a match ahead of a string of important matches, including midweek fixtures against Benfica with matches against City and Leicester between them).  Or the fact that Bellerin can lead the side in duels-won, score a goal, and be having one of the Top 2 statistical seasons of his career, and yet ArsenalTwitter is still constantly bemoaning him being "not good enough," "needs to be gone," "should have been benched long ago" all because... the guy has an interest in fashion?

Arsenal fans man. I was kitchen manager at a pub many years ago. Back when US Arsenal fans used to show their faces (early 2010s, before Wenger Out was popular) they were the worst. There was a game that went incredibly deep into extra time against Liverpool, I think it was 2011. We were unofficially a Liverpool bar as two of the owners were Liverpudlian, so the place was hyped for both sides.  

Ultimately it didn’t go Arsenal’s way and these pricks broke things on the way out.  It’s like come on man, I’m also incredibly passionate, but we’re in the Southern US.  Is it really that serious for you?

3 hours ago, EvilenFroggen said:

Arsenal fans man. I was kitchen manager at a pub many years ago. Back when US Arsenal fans used to show their faces (early 2010s, before Wenger Out was popular) they were the worst. There was a game that went incredibly deep into extra time against Liverpool, I think it was 2011. We were unofficially a Liverpool bar as two of the owners were Liverpudlian, so the place was hyped for both sides.  

Ultimately it didn’t go Arsenal’s way and these pricks broke things on the way out.  It’s like come on man, I’m also incredibly passionate, but we’re in the Southern US.  Is it really that serious for you?

I think it depends on when people started supporting.  The guys I started an Arsenal America chapter with in SoCal have all been supporting since the 90's like I have, one of them for longer because his parents are ex-pats from Surrey and after their divorce he spent about half his childhood across the Pond.

A lot of the cats who didn't jump on board until not only post-Invincibles, but in the Fabregas-as-captain days, they're relatively spoiled and that speaks nothing of the non -European/non-US fans who not only don't understand how the logifistics work, I genuinely suspect they don't care because they just see clubs owned by big money from their neck of the globe and think that's how it should be at the club they support too.

I came in as a supporter in Bruce Rioch's first and only season as manager, and I witnessed it still take Wenger 4 seasons to win his first double... and that was with the best back 4 in the country that carried over from the George Graham sides.

36 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

I think it depends on when people started supporting.  The guys I started an Arsenal America chapter with in SoCal have all been supporting since the 90's like I have, one of them for longer because his parents are ex-pats from Surrey and after their divorce he spent about half his childhood across the Pond.

A lot of the cats who didn't jump on board until not only post-Invincibles, but in the Fabregas-as-captain days, they're relatively spoiled and that speaks nothing of the non -European/non-US fans who not only don't understand how the logifistics work, I genuinely suspect they don't care because they just see clubs owned by big money from their neck of the globe and think that's how it should be at the club they support too.

I came in as a supporter in Bruce Rioch's first and only season as manager, and I witnessed it still take Wenger 4 seasons to win his first double... and that was with the best back 4 in the country that carried over from the George Graham sides.

Oh for sure. And I know I didn’t paint a complete picture. These were early 20 somethings, which doesn’t immediately disqualify them. But I also didn’t see their ***** at the pub or any of the other area bars after Arsenal wasn’t successful anymore. And yes, this was Captain Fabregas-RVP era Arsenal. 

14 hours ago, EvilenFroggen said:

That’s pretty much the league I would think. Now to get embarrassed in the CL again!

Careful, I'm pretty sure City overturned two wider margins to Liverpool in fairly recent seasons.

But I would think so too. Not 100% yet, but usually at this time if you're 10+ points up, it's done. 

53 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Careful, I'm pretty sure City overturned two wider margins to Liverpool in fairly recent seasons.

But I would think so too. Not 100% yet, but usually at this time if you're 10+ points up, it's done. 

Well sure, and I’m used to Typical City. But this may be our best side ever, because of all the different ways they can win, and I don’t see anyone being able to catch them. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 1:55 PM, EvilenFroggen said:

Well sure, and I’m used to Typical City. But this may be our best side ever, because of all the different ways they can win, and I don’t see anyone being able to catch them. 

I think the centurion team is better, even if this team is more well-rounded. The competition was much harder in that season and you still got 100 points. Both Aguero and Jesus carving it up. Peak KDB best player in the world, for me.

I'm happy Pep has worked out the defence though. This actually feels like a team more likely to win CL where defence matters more

Edited by Hunter2_1

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think the centurion team is better, even if this team is more well-rounded. The competition was much harder in that season and you still got 100 points. Both Aguero and Jesus carving it up. Peak KDB best player in the world, for me.

I'm happy Pep has worked out the defence though. This actually feels like a team more likely to win CL where defence matters more

We’ll revisit this after a couple more rounds of the CL. In my mind, centennial City was the high flying Colts who dominated the regular season but then got stymied by a rough, defensive team in the playoffs. Theoretically, this City is a balanced Patriot team that can give and take. But right now this is all hypothetical. By May we’ll find out who it right, and who is dead. 

On 2/20/2021 at 12:30 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

The centurion team was more dominant but I'm not sure I'd call it better.  This current City incarnation is drilled and martialed across the board in a manner I'm not sure Europe has seen since Barcelona during the primes of the Spanish 5; they, and not just the choice XI but 2-3 deep in depth at almost every position, have shown a keen awareness of not only where each individual players needs to be at any given movement, but where he can expect the teammates around him to be.  It's damn near streamlined-mechanical in a fashion we'd been used to seeing from the Beckenbauer West German sides (in terms of organization, not necessarily playing style with the perpetual pressing and constant movement, but rather the out-and-out efficiency).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Leeds' Raphinha is so damn good. I wonder how much it would take to get him.

Under have a buy option? Cause Id say 45-50 mil to pry Rap away from Leeds. Probably could get Sarr off Watford for 25-30. With West Brom going down. Likely get Pereira for 15-20.