EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

Well Im happily surprised. Forest made a lot of personnel moves this week. Had a couple with min practice with the team. Then some like Dennis coming from Watford didnt clear through physicals in time for the game.

So they played well. Pulled off the win against a good team while not being at their full potential until guys mesh in.

• Like 2

I would like to point out that I was in Vegas this past weekend and 30 minutes prior to kickoff, apparently enough action for United had come in from the tourist crowd that the line shifted an extra 15 points to make Brentford a +300 underdog... which I happily pressed my winnings from the Arsenal match earlier to bet.  By halftime, I was making a damn scene doing laps around the Park MGM sports book whooping up a storm.

For the record, I laid $150 to payout $270 on Arsenal to beat Leicester by at least 2 goals.  I pressed that $270 at +300 on Brentford to just win... paid out $810.  All in all, I'd say a rather successful Saturday morning.

• Like 2

On 8/14/2022 at 7:51 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

Well Im happily surprised. Forest made a lot of personnel moves this week. Had a couple with min practice with the team. Then some like Dennis coming from Watford didnt clear through physicals in time for the game.

So they played well. Pulled off the win against a good team while not being at their full potential until guys mesh in.

What did we do, hit post twice, had a goal disallowed, missed a pen?! Ergh

happy for Forest though. A proper PL team 

On 8/13/2022 at 6:15 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

Post game interviews are going to be a trip. The "Glazers Out" crowd has the fire dept on high alert tonight.

Nothing displays football tribalism and how it distorts your logical thinking more than the way non-United fans speak about United fans wanting the Glazers out.

It's just so ... bizarre. They are parasitical arseholes that have ruined a club. Sure, United have hundreds of millions of fans around the world that means they aren't like every other club.

But, like every other club, they have thousands of loyal (and yes, local) fans that go to every game from working class backgrounds, who have witnessed their community pillar be leeched and destroyed by a family that have ZERO interest in the club.

I spent 10 years as a season ticket holder until I was priced out. I grew up 20 minutes away. I know hundreds of great people who care as much about their football club as any fan of a non 'big' club.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Nothing displays football tribalism and how it distorts your logical thinking more than the way non-United fans speak about United fans wanting the Glazers out.

It's just so ... bizarre. They are parasitical arseholes that have ruined a club. Sure, United have hundreds of millions of fans around the world that means they aren't like every other club.

But, like every other club, they have thousands of loyal (and yes, local) fans that go to every game from working class backgrounds, who have witnessed their community pillar be leeched and destroyed by a family that have ZERO interest in the club.

I spent 10 years as a season ticket holder until I was priced out. I grew up 20 minutes away. I know hundreds of great people who care as much about their football club as any fan of a non 'big' club.

Dan Snyder was my NFL clubs owner. Due to he and Bruce Allen. I have never spent a dime on Wash merch, never attended a game with being just 50 miles from the stadium. Though I have other teams. Eagles and Giant fans were outnumbering Wash fans at FedEx that last year of Bruce.

EPL works differently than the complete profit share style of the NFL. Yet MU fans fork over money to the Glazers by the wheelbarrow load.

Last home Wash/Eagles game under Bruce... https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/12/31/eagles-fans-completely-took-over-fedex-field-it-was-so-depressing/

Nick Foles said afterward. “I’ve said it before, I know we’re not at [Lincoln Financial Field], but playing at the Linc, running out of the Linc, there’s nothing like it. And then you make this the Linc today. They were out there, they were loud, the support, I mean, the whole stadium was green.

Let the whole stadium turn City Blue for a gameday. Hard to draw sympathy when fans fork over the level of loot MU fans do while complaining about owners all the while bragging about top 5 finishes. 

But Im across an ocean, I cant see over there in how it effects the community the way youre over there actually feeling it.

47 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Let the whole stadium turn City Blue for a gameday. Hard to draw sympathy when fans fork over the level of loot MU fans do while complaining about owners all the while bragging about top 5 finishes. 

But Im across an ocean, I cant see over there in how it effects the community the way youre over there actually feeling it.

For you to say that it's "hard to draw sympathy" is just proof you've never lived the life of a football fan that goes to every game, every year, year on year. Not a criticism; just a fact.

It's a routine. For many people, going to the game is escapism for an ever more difficult life as a (Northern) working class member of English society. You sit in the same seat you have for 10, 20, 30, 40 years. You reminisce about sitting with family members who are no longer with us, and look forward to taking new generations in their place.

To not go to the game for some is like ripping away the small shining light in their life. I know this all sounds hyperbolic, but I promise you that there are thousands of match-going fans that feel this way.

Not a clue what you are on about with the top 5 finish stuff. Again, just bizarre thing to say in response to my point about match going fans hating the Glazers. But hey, you lump every single United fan into a single bracket. Seems fair .....

The fact you are putting the onus on the match-going fans for this mess, rather than simply saying, "you are right - the Glazers are absolute dickheads who are fleecing your club" just highlights my point in the initial post.

Edited by lomaxgrUK

10 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

For you to say that it's "hard to draw sympathy" is just proof you've never lived the life of a football fan that goes to every game, every year, year on year. Not a criticism; just a fact.

It's a routine. For many people, going to the game is escapism for an ever more difficult life as a (Northern) working class member of English society. You sit in the same seat you have for 10, 20, 30, 40 years. You reminisce about sitting with family members who are no longer with us, and look forward to taking new generations in their place.

To not go to the game for some is like ripping away the small shining light in their life. I know this all sounds hyperbolic, but I promise you that there are thousands of match-going fans that feel this way.

Not a clue what you are on about with the top 5 finish stuff. Again, just bizarre thing to say in response to my point about match going fans hating the Glazers. But hey, you lump every single United fan into a single bracket. Seems fair .....

The fact you are putting on the onus on the match-going fans for this mess, rather than simply saying, "you are right - the Glazers are absolute dickheads who are fleecing your club" just highlights my point in the initial post.

Like I showed you. You think those Wash fans that let the Eagles takeover didnt have decades invested? They did. Many in the Wash forum did and cut their attendance right on down or out.

Glazers own an NFL team here and run it a WHOLE LOT better than our Snyder. So we arnt privileged to how theyre actually effecting working class Manchester. But I do know how things ran with Wash, and how the 20+year working class season ticket holders responded in kind. Watching the stadium turn Green for the Eagles, and Blue for Dallas/Giants. And then Bruce Allen was gone.

Not trying to argue with you. But last season there was a stadium invasion. Seems fans have been pushed to that brink. Innocent people and officers were hurt. Things should not be carried to the point in which people are getting injured. Which is why I suggest a different route. But youre the one with boots on the ground over there. Were not getting near the input on the matter you are.