The AFC post-Brady/Belichick Patriots

Championshiporbust

Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are bound to retire from the National Football League soon, within the next 2 to 5 years. Unless they become Patriots executives in the next couple years and keep the New England Patriots competitive Super Bowl contenders with their minds on drafting, scouting from the front office instead of coaching and playing on the field in Foxboro, the AFC powershift will occur.

Who will dominate the AFC post-Brady/Belichick Patriots?

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-herd-with-colin-cowherd/video/1295582787522

the steelers if they retire in the next 1-2 years will have a brief period of dominance; if rudolph is any good then they’ll stay there and thereabouts even post ben

if jacksonville can hold the defense together or get a marginally better quarterback they’ll be there too

the chargers can maximise a small window before old man rivers retires if they stave off the injuries

kansas city could get over the hump post pats and post ben if mahomes cuts the mustard

The Vrabel/Mariota Titans...B|

Honestly though, I have no idea. Brady/Manning/Roethlisberger/the one year of Flacco have ran the AFC for over a decade. With those guys retiring/getting close to retirement, it opens it up for just about anyone.

Mason Rudolph is going to carry the Steelers for well into the next decade. Steelers are a candidate.

Jets could find themselves contenders with Sam Darnold.

The Ravens I don't see dominating necessarily but Lamar Jackson is going to keep the Ravens in the race for the playoffs for a little while.

Above all though, I like the Colts to reclaim dominace with Andrew Luck, a better offensive line than people expect, and a new staff led by a head coach in Frank Reich who I anticipate working out very well for the city of Indianapolis. 

I like Deshaun Watson and the Houston Texans but he's torn his ACL twice already and I do not have faith in their coaching staff.

The last team I'll mention in the AFC is the Oakland/Las Vegas Raiders. I think Jon Gruden and Derek Carr are going to be up and down with "dominant" seasons for a run of several seasons coming up.

That's it. I don't have high expectations for most other AFC teams going forward.

1. Colts

2. Raiders

3. Steelers

4. Jets

5. Ravens

6. Texans

Probably McDaniels and whoever they groom as Brady's replacement. 

In all seriousness you can't predict these things. Nobody would have predicted in 2000 that starting the next year the Patriots would go on to do what they did. Hell after their Super Bowl in 2004 nobody would have assumed that over 13 years later they'd be the team to beat in the AFC

Andy Reid has never proven he can do much more than get to the playoffs then get bounced out. As a Eagle fan, we woulndt have won the SB last year if he were still coach.... As far as the AFC, I watched that Lions game last night on NFLN and the Raiders looked real strong. I really like that PJ Hall pick. I think they had the most underated draft to be honest, getting Hurst and Arden Key that late was a steal. I could see Gruden bringing that team back to the strenght they had in the early 2000's... They got some solid players on that team all around. I also think the Titans could be a big time player in the AFC , I like both the Raiders and Titans to become major forces in the AFC for many years

1 hour ago, What? said:

Andy Reid has never proven he can do much more than get to the playoffs then get bounced out. As a Eagle fan, we woulndt have won the SB last year if he were still coach.... As far as the AFC, I watched that Lions game last night on NFLN and the Raiders looked real strong. I really like that PJ Hall pick. I think they had the most underated draft to be honest, getting Hurst and Arden Key that late was a steal. I could see Gruden bringing that team back to the strenght they had in the early 2000's... They got some solid players on that team all around. I also think the Titans could be a big time player in the AFC , I like both the Raiders and Titans to become major forces in the AFC for many years

There's not much a coach can do when they have Alex Smith at QB. I wouldn't think Reid would win with Nick Foles but MVP Caliber Carson Wentz is another story. Eagles fans sure do hate Andy Reid but he was great coach for the Eagles it's just too bad it never worked out. Besides who do you think taught Pederson all the tricks in the game.

We all know it comes down to QB.  Whatever team has the next great QB and a competent GM (unlike the colts during their previous regime) that can surround said QB with talent.

Let's just hope this is the year father time beats Brady.

Archived