What Do You Need To See For Tyrod to Be Re-Signed?

Mind Character

What Do You Need To See For Tyrod to Be Re-Signed?

--------------------------------------------------

There are some with the perspective that no matter what ...it's better to let Baker takeover at some point this year or the end of the year... they cite some of the following reasons:

1.) Why hold the number 1 pick back if he's that good... he's the future so let him takeover sooner rather than later.

2.) Opportunity cost money... it's better to go with Baker and use the money that we save by not re-signing Tyrod for other purposes to improve the team...

3.) Baker is better than Tyrod when it's all said and done... the team can go further with Baker than Tyrod.

4.) A QB controversy will eventually bring the team down and split the locker room... if you have to choose... go with the young talent

-----------

While many of those opinions have validity ... I disagree with the belief that "we shouldn't re-sign Tyrod" b/c of the extreme extreme scarcity of talented, winning, & quality leadership QBs. This leads me to the conclusion... that WE HAVE TO RE-SIGN Tyrod for the following additional reasons:

1.) Football is a contact sport & one injury to the QB position can change the entire destiny and outcome of a football team... putting us back in the position we were before: Trying to acquire a quality QB in an extremely scarce market... the one difference then being that unlike before our team's talent would be so elevated that getting one through the draft at the top would be impossible...

2.) Eventually it will figure itself out... Tyrod will regress or elevate to the point where it makes it clear who should take over.. by re-signing Tyrod... it buys us time to acquire a QB via the draft or FA that we can believe in to replace the consistent quality or thereabouts that Tyrod provides..

3.) It takes too much capital to acquire a quality QB again.. right now it just takes money and we have the cap space..

----------

What I I need to see is leadership and the ability to impact the game in ways that leads to winning and belief in the ability to win for the team... that could be 6+ wins... more so than the actually number is the feel and mindset of the team and whether the product on the field is of a quality and competitive with other winning franchise's...

We have to franchise Tyrod after this year assuming he has a solid/good year...

IMO.. I'd even give him a longterm extension 4 years... with 2 guaranteed and have Baker sit in the wings for as long as possible...

We are in such a good place Salary cap wise.. where the money invested won't hurt us for a while... and at that point we could've strategically made moves to protect the salary cap anyway

He would have to have an absolute monster year stat wise and win a playoff game which I'm sure is unlikely.  You do not invest your #1 overall pick in Baker Mayfield and sit him in year 2.  If Mayfield had been picked in the 20's I could see it but not #1 overall.  

Peace!!! 

I’d need to see him winning games.  Not the team, but him.  

He’d have to be beating teams regularly with his arm, leading an explosive offense, etc.

3500 yards, 25 td’s, < 10 picks, >%65 completions at a bare minimum if you want stats, ideally more like 4K, 30+.

He’s got to show it would be nuts to start a number one overall pick over him.

That he has a great trade value. If he could fetch something hire than a 3rd pick, I’m resigning him and trying to shop him. Hopefully to a place he wants to go. Taylor has to be loving Hardknocks because it’s going to get him paid if he had a solid year. If 

Mediocre play and willingness to be a solid backup. If he’s looking to start past this year, no thanks, he’s barking up the wrong tree. We took Baker first overall. You are pot committed to him as the starter, at the very latest, at the beginning of next season. I think both sides know what this is.

6 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Mediocre play and willingness to be a solid backup. If he’s looking to start past this year, no thanks, he’s barking up the wrong tree. We took Baker first overall. You are pot committed to him as the starter, at the very latest, at the beginning of next season. I think both sides know what this is.

He’s a FA at season end, can’t think he’d want to come back as a backup if he has anything that resembles decent success.

I was in on Resigning him after we traded a 3rd round pick for him.

But after he's done all that he has as far as leading the team, paying for players to come to off scripted summer workouts. I would talk to him about signing a 2 year extension, with a voidable last year. Give him an even higher bump in salary this year, have his base in the 2 extended years make him the highest paid backup in the NFL (low starters money) and then tie the rest to playing time incentives. If he keeps baker on the bench he will be compensated handsomely, if he doesn't, he will be the highest paid backup in the NFL. Make the 3rd year voidable by the player, if he hits certain numbers in year 2 or if he starts less than 8 games (make the 3rd year easily voidable if he plays REALLY well, or he plays really well this year, and we still decided to go with baker in year 2...he'd sit one season then a FA at 31).

Franchise tag could be just south of 30 million or half our free cap space for next year. 

As other have mentioned , he would have to play extremely well to get that kind of pay. 

for me it would have to be 4.5k yards 30 TDs and AFCC game.

Archived