2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

Trading down should the Jets first option.   Is Nick Bosa and Josh Allen that much better than the other draft prospects that can rush the passer?  Nick Bosa is building a injury history while Josh Allen is This is supposed to be a strong defensive draft.  Some other defensive player may show they are worthy of team trading up for like a Clelin Ferrel or a Rashard Gary.   I think the Jets would be a great position to trade down on draft day.   Let's hope Kyler Murray blows up the combine and pro days.   The #3 pick would be that much more valuable.   All the Jets need is for one team to be desperate enough on draft day to want to trade up to get their player.   

Anyone else starting to get the feeling Bell will go someone where else? 

What would you do as a plan B at RB? 

Tevin Coleman and McGuire are too similar. We may just have to draft someone. Anyone good RBs in the 2nd and 3rd? I have not looked at RBs at all

7 hours ago, JetsandI said:

As long as Maccagnan is in charge, we already know the answer. lol.

DE class in this draft is weak so it is clearly stupid to pass on either Bosa or Allen or both.  And that is for with OR without Barr. 

For whatever reason Jets would pass on both in favor of extra mid rounder, I do hope Gary, Ferrell and Sweat show something legit as DE at next level as a highly acceptable consolation. I have been reading around the draft prospects for DE after 2nd round and there are a lot of them are either undersized or developmental or specialized. That would be a miracle if Jets find a gem in that department.

edit: Dr. O beat me. What is up with the speed of FF? eh?

I think this is one of the stronger pass rushing classes that has come along in a while.  Bosa, Allen, Polite, Sweat, Ferrell., Burns, Gary, Omenihu are all potential first rounders.  That is 8 guys right there, that would be a full quarter of the first round.  There are other guys too.  Ferguson, Wonovich, Walker, Miller, Nelson just to name a few that will go in the 2nd and potentially 3rd.  I think the only 2 position groups that might be as deep are DL and MAYBE WR.  

• Like 1

A few combine snubs that could help out any team that ends up drafting these guys.  Just a few that jumped out were Penny Hart, and Divine Ozigbo.  If Ozigbo is there in the 5th or 6th(in the event of a trade back, i know we don't have a 6th) I'd grab him in a heart beat.  Averaged 7ypc and also was a threat catching the ball out of the backfield while being a 230lb back.  He isn't a track star but looks like he could run in then mid to high 4.5's which is fine for a guy of his size.  His thing is he has great contact balance which is a super under rated trait for a RB.  Kareem Hunt's main trait is his contact balance.  

I think it’s impritantnto point out that beingnthat this is a strong edge rusher draft at the top... IMO that’s even more so if a reason to big time look into trading back. Guys like Ferrell, Gary and Burns are very good edge prospects. Obviously Bosa and Allen are ranked higher, but that’s a guess by experts. I like using the 2014 NFL draft as a good guide to show hype isn’t everything. I’ve used the comparison of Bosa to Clowney and Allen to Mack in previous posts. Not necessarily from a talent perspective just from a hype perspective. But to go one step further no one really talks about the other edges innthat 1st round that year that have had just as good of success. Barr and Ford were both in that same draft class and chosen in Round 1. My point being that we can trade back add picks and still get a star edge if that’s what people want. Ferrell, Gary and Burns all have the type of talent.

• Like 1

I mean, I realize we are all hung up on DE's in this draft but I prefer getting someone proven from FA and then going BPA. Same as we have done the last few years.

DeMarcus Lawrence or Trey Flowers as the big splash signing 

Then add a second tier good quality guy like Sheldon Richardson (he said he wanted to come back) 

I can see us drafting a guy like Greedy Williams at #3 and everyone get mad and call Mac the worst GM on the planet again as we do every year. FA IMHO is more stack in the front 7 than the draft and I prefer guys we have seen on the field rather than hopefuls. 

Greedy's stock is kind of working it's way down draft boards.  There are lots of mocks that have him going later than 15.  There are some question marks about his effort and his game.

I wouldn't be a huge fan of resigning Sheldon, he is a good run defender, but hasn't offered much as a pass rusher since like 2014.  

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think it’s impritantnto point out that beingnthat this is a strong edge rusher draft at the top... IMO that’s even more so if a reason to big time look into trading back. Guys like Ferrell, Gary and Burns are very good edge prospects. Obviously Bosa and Allen are ranked higher, but that’s a guess by experts. I like using the 2014 NFL draft as a good guide to show hype isn’t everything. I’ve used the comparison of Bosa to Clowney and Allen to Mack in previous posts. Not necessarily from a talent perspective just from a hype perspective. But to go one step further no one really talks about the other edges innthat 1st round that year that have had just as good of success. Barr and Ford were both in that same draft class and chosen in Round 1. My point being that we can trade back add picks and still get a star edge if that’s what people want. Ferrell, Gary and Burns all have the type of talent.

I agree 100%.

Montez Sweat, Brian Burns, and Clelin Ferrel would be top 10 picks in most drafts. They are tremendous prospects in their own right. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them turn out to be the best edge rusher in this class.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jetfan8178 said:

I mean, I realize we are all hung up on DE's in this draft but I prefer getting someone proven from FA and then going BPA. Same as we have done the last few years.

DeMarcus Lawrence or Trey Flowers as the big splash signing 

Then add a second tier good quality guy like Sheldon Richardson (he said he wanted to come back) 

I can see us drafting a guy like Greedy Williams at #3 and everyone get mad and call Mac the worst GM on the planet again as we do every year. FA IMHO is more stack in the front 7 than the draft and I prefer guys we have seen on the field rather than hopefuls. 

Maybe I’m alone on this, but I don’t think we end up with Trey or one of the really big name FA’s. I think we’ll end up with Quinn after he gets cut and a draft pick