Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

55 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

An interesting point about the WR discussion is to think who was the last truly elite WR to have won Super Bowl? 

DT won SB 50, Marvin Harrison was on the Colts in 2006 when they won but run down the list of recent champions, how many of those teams had a truly elite WR? There haven't been many in the last 20 years. If you back to the 1990s and before you see Michael Irvin, Jerry Rice, Torry Holt and Issac Bruce but in the most recent era, the most pass-happy and pass-heavy period in NFL history, the number of elite WRs with Super Bowl rings are few and far between. 

Elite WRs like AB and OBJ get a lot of headlines, help win fantasy football leagues and make a lot of money but are they a key ingredient to championship formula? Recent history says no. 

To me some of that is the modern rules allow less talented guys to have major impacts.  Let’s the team allocate resources elsewhere.

Another reason I’m happy rolling with the WRs we have now, wouldn’t mind one of the Iowa TEs though

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

An interesting point about the WR discussion is to think who was the last truly elite WR to have won Super Bowl? 

DT won SB 50, Marvin Harrison was on the Colts in 2006 when they won but run down the list of recent champions, how many of those teams had a truly elite WR? There haven't been many in the last 20 years. If you back to the 1990s and before you see Michael Irvin, Jerry Rice, Torry Holt and Issac Bruce but in the most recent era, the most pass-happy and pass-heavy period in NFL history, the number of elite WRs with Super Bowl rings are few and far between. 

Elite WRs like AB and OBJ get a lot of headlines, help win fantasy football leagues and make a lot of money but are they a key ingredient to championship formula? Recent history says no. 

I've noticed this too. I often wonder if that (at least partially) has to do with the disproportionate amount of cap space those kinds of receivers eat up. OBJ for example is worth nearly 11% of his team's entire salary cap next year and that's after they bumped it up to $188 million for 2019. That's an awful lot of cap space to dedicate to a guy who only accounts for 1300-1500 total yards from scrimmage (especially when you consider a "good" receiver will get you 1000-1200 for half the price). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1234567 said:

I've noticed this too. I often wonder if that (at least partially) has to do with the disproportionate amount of cap space those kinds of receivers eat up. OBJ for example is worth nearly 11% of his team's entire salary cap next year and that's after they bumped it up to $188 million for 2019. That's an awful lot of cap space to dedicate to a guy who only accounts for 1300-1500 total yards from scrimmage (especially when you consider a "good" receiver will get you 1000-1200 for half the price). 

Receivers who move the chains are far more valuable to me than the highlight reels. 

• Like 2

Sometimes I think people put too much stock into trends of money allocation at certain positions. Would we be using the same narrative if the Falcons (with their elite WR) had beaten the Patriots in the Superbowl?

The Patriots don't spend on their LT; does that mean people shouldn't pay for LT's? Let's not forget that the Patriots spent $20.5 mill over 2 years (and this was 10 years ago) on Randy Moss, whilst they also gave big contracts to Gronk and Hernandez because of their pass catching prowess. Oh, and they also gave up a 1st round pick for Brandin Cooks.

At the end of the day, it always comes back to your QB, and importantly, the style of that QB. If you have the best QB of all time that gets the ball out quicker than anyone in the history of the game, you can afford to cut expenditure on your exterior OL. You also don't necassirly need elite WRs who make big plays downfield because the ball is (in general) coming out quicker so precision is more important.

The Browns, without any doubt, can win with money allocated to 2 WR's and especially whilst their QB is on a very cheap deal.

• Like 1

Don’t know that anyone is into college wrestling, but most of these weights are pretty competitive.  However, the heavyweight bracket is maybe the worst weight class I’ve seen in my life.  It’s a tough class to get good wrestlers, but 99% of the time these guys are competing for 5th and 6th place.

So yesterday we had our 5 month old Golden Retriever puppy in her last day of training and the trainer wanted to take her and 2 other dogs on a hike as a reward. Well she took her to almost Winter Park and called us and told us our dog had gotten loose from her and was missing for an hour. Mind you snow was in the forecast and the temperature was as low as 22. We drove up as fast as weekend mountain traffic allowed and tried to search for her for about 3-4 hours really not dressed for 3-4 feet of snow.

Weren't able to find her so had to drive back home and try again this morning and luckily around 1 another dog found her curled up under a tree 150 yards away from the trail. Pretty sure that was the longest 24 hours, can't even imagine how awful it would be for parents to have a child go missing.

28 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

So yesterday we had our 5 month old Golden Retriever puppy in her last day of training and the trainer wanted to take her and 2 other dogs on a hike as a reward. Well she took her to almost Winter Park and called us and told us our dog had gotten loose from her and was missing for an hour. Mind you snow was in the forecast and the temperature was as low as 22. We drove up as fast as weekend mountain traffic allowed and tried to search for her for about 3-4 hours really not dressed for 3-4 feet of snow.

Weren't able to find her so had to drive back home and try again this morning and luckily around 1 another dog found her curled up under a tree 150 yards away from the trail. Pretty sure that was the longest 24 hours, can't even imagine how awful it would be for parents to have a child go missing.

Wow! Glad she is back safe with you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncosfan07 said:

That’s crazy.  My wife’s family has a place in Granby, not far from winter park and our dog minds really well off leash, anyway it wasn’t that dramatic, but we lost her on a trail the first time we went up there for a few hours.  Our dog was 4 years old at the time and not 5 months (which probably made your pup even more disoriented) but I think the thickness of the trees and unfamiliar terriotry can easily throw them for a loop.  Glad you were able to get her back.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, germ-x said:

That’s crazy.  My wife’s family has a place in Granby, not far from winter park and our dog minds really well off leash, anyway it wasn’t that dramatic, but we lost her on a trail the first time we went up there for a few hours.  Our dog was 4 years old at the time and not 5 months (which probably made your pup even more disoriented) but I think the thickness of the trees and unfamiliar terriotry can easily throw them for a loop.  Glad you were able to get her back.

Yeah and the trail its self split off one was for hiking and cross country skiing, the other was for snowmobiles and I guess they were near the exit and a snowmobile whizzed past them and scared her. Which being in Highlands Ranch she had never encountered before.

• 3 weeks later...

It's pretty hard to win a basketball game when you insist on shooting 28 three pointers despite only hitting at 20%. Sometimes you gotta know when to quit and move on to something else. Like wide open shots from 15 feet. That Denver passed on all game long. Stupid.

Edited by 1234567

To you baseball fans - I am thinking of getting a Rockies jersey, and just need some advice on who's name to get on the back. MLB Europe gives me the choice of;

- Arenado
- Story
- Gonzalez
- Blackmon
- (Blank)

Any thoughts? I know Arenado just signed a new deal, but that means nothing in Baseball ...

To be honest, there aren't many baseball fans in the UK anyway so even if the player leaves, it won't require me to burn the jersey or anything.

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

To you baseball fans - I am thinking of getting a Rockies jersey, and just need some advice on who's name to get on the back. MLB Europe gives me the choice of;

- Arenado
- Story
- Gonzalez
- Blackmon
- (Blank)

Any thoughts? I know Arenado just signed a new deal, but that means nothing in Baseball ...

To be honest, there aren't many baseball fans in the UK anyway so even if the player leaves, it won't require me to burn the jersey or anything.

I’d definitely say Arenado, he’s the face of the franchise.  Blackmon is a fun player too and fan favorite.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

- Arenado
- Story
- Gonzalez
- Blackmon
- (Blank)

Probably safe getting an Arenado jersey but personally I go with the blank jerseys in baseball.

• Like 1