Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

18 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Wow. How would you like to trade places with the Packers right now?

Rising star at HC in Lafleur, what looks like a legit franchise QB in Love, the youngest roster in the league and a compliment of 11 draft picks including 5 (#'s 25, 41, 58, 88, 91) in the top 100. Oh, and they have $31m in cap space. 

Well they have definitely done things the "right way." That's actually with a lot of their former draft picks not working out too btw. They have a knack of trading assets while they can sell high and know how to develop guys many moons beforehand. You just get the feeling they are constantly looking at 3-5 years out for every decision.

I know people got on them for not drafting Rodgers receivers for a while, but they were stocking up on defense those years which was pretty nasty. The reality is Rodgers often couldn't deliver in a bunch of those (more recent years) playoff matchups. He often would hold the ball for eternity and would play favorites with who he would throw to which got him in positions to get sacked. There's a reason they played better as a true "team" last year.

Rodgers only won a ship on a rookie deal. It will be interesting if Mahomes can break the 15% glass ceiling over the next couple of years (his cap hit skyrockets starting this season) or if the rule continues to holdz thus far only TB12 in TB and maybe manning here (he took a pay cut that year so…) have won when they took up 15%+ of the cap. I still contend that TB12 was very good, but will go down as the goat cuz he was vastly underpaid this allowing a team to be built around him.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

sports talk radio in Denver is trash lol. I live in New Jersey Philadelphia sports talk so much better.

What in particular don’t you like about Denver?

I listen a lot and I was a regular caller to Sandy Clough for years and years. I’d call in and he’d move me to the front of the line and go “we have one of favorites on the line, Dan in Loveland, Dan, hello.” 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

What in particular don’t you like about Denver?

I listen a lot and I was a regular caller to Sandy Clough for years and years. I’d call in and he’d move me to the front of the line and go “we have one of favorites on the line, Dan in Loveland, Dan, hello.” 

is he on koa maybe I was listening to the wrong stuff.

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

is he on koa maybe I was listening to the wrong stuff.

Clough is now on Mile High Sports 4-6 MST. But he was the Mike Francesa of 104.3 The Fan for 30 years, going back to when it was 950 The Fan. 

KOA is homer radio, it’s the team’s “partner,” so, like Klis/9news, they toe the party line. Dave Logan is really the only one there with enough standing to be critical and even his criticism is nuanced. 

• Like 1

104.3 The Fan is passable, there’s some I like and some I don’t. Altitude 92.5 is the same, some good, some bad, the problem with them is they stray from sports and end up having some bizarre conversations and then there are a handful of hosts there that act like 14 year olds. 

48 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Clough is now on Mile High Sports 4-6 MST. But he was the Mike Francesa of 104.3 The Fan for 30 years, going back to when it was 950 The Fan. 

KOA is homer radio, it’s the team’s “partner,” so, like Klis/9news, they toe the party line. Dave Logan is really the only one there with enough standing to be critical and even his criticism is nuanced. 

ok I was listening to the wrong stuff they were comparing Jake plummer to great qbs lol.

28 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Why was Warren Moon undrafted? I never knew that lol.

Because he didn’t want to be a backup. He was told he would likely be a late round pick or possibly undrafted as this was the first year they cut the number of rounds to 12. Instead of doing that he signed with the CFL a month or so before the draft and his agent informed teams he would not sign with them ergo they didn’t draft him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Because he didn’t want to be a backup. He was told he would likely be a late round pick or possibly undrafted as this was the first year they cut the number of rounds to 12. Instead of doing that he signed with the CFL a month or so before the draft and his agent informed teams he would not sign with them ergo they didn’t draft him.

That's insane to me he had a strong arm too. What was it like when he transitioned to the NFL was it like a crazy Peyton Manning free agency tour? I can't imagine a 28 year old hall of fame talent being available. 

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

That's insane to me he had a strong arm too. What was it like when he transitioned to the NFL was it like a crazy Peyton Manning free agency tour? I can't imagine a 28 year old hall of fame talent being available. 

How 'bout Kurt Warner? UDFA, floated around in the minors, signed with the Rams, learned Gilmans system and is now HOF.

I really like @broncos_fan _from _uk use of the term "threshold talent". A guy that can make all the throws, is accurate, has some pocket presence but is not an exceptional athlete. That pretty much describes guys like Fouts, Brees and Warner. What separated them was their mental grasp of the game. All three became HOF in our present system. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Because he [Warren Moon] didn’t want to be a backup. He was told he would likely be a late round pick or possibly undrafted 

i thought he was being told he wouldn't be used as a QB in the NFL.