Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

1 minute ago, broncosfan_101 said:

The combination of Mahomes-Reid-Spagnuolo is the best there’s ever been and it ain’t close. We may as well slow build and try to peak in 3-4 years when Reid might get old enough to think about retiring, because right now it feels like that group is inevitable every year, for as long as they want to be.

Was this a Kyle choke job? Maybe. The choice to receive in OT didn’t make sense unless you subscribe to my tinfoil hat theory that he’s still looking for a QB he can trust. Besides that, I thought the game plan was fine. He pounded CMC vs a terrible run D, but Spags had that unit coached up so hard. 

what spags did with the blitzing to get purdy off his spot was the key to the game. Mahomes that was the quietest 300 yard game I can remember. 

2 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Ellis wasn't great, but Shanahan wanted full control. Wasn't going to happen with Elway being here (who has done more damage than Ellis). 

Don't agree with this - Elway wanted Kyle Shanahan and Ellis blocked his appointment as HC. After Joseph's first year, Elway tried to bring back Mike, Gary and Wade and bring in Cousins as QB - Ellis again blocked it. The personal animosity that Ellis had towards Mike Shanahan and by extension his son has seen the Broncos mired in almost a decade of failure.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Does anyone think Mahomes will finish his career with less than 5 Super Bowl wins? I hate to say it but if Manning/Brady was kind of a modern Magic/Bird for QB play, Mahomes is Jordan. 

Kyle Shanahan blowing three Super Bowls before turning 45 is also crazy. He’s going to get more opportunities in a weaker NFC too. 

The thing that will always keep me from viewing Mahomes as Michael Jordan-esque is that he’s is easily the most protected player in the history of the league, and that’s including Tom Brady. Defensive players refuse to hit him. I’ve never seen anything like it. There are literally dozens of videos out there at this point showing defenders either trying to handle him with kids gloves, or avoid having to touch him at all, even on plays where they have a wide open chance to lay him out. I’m not saying he isn’t talented, because he is. But it’s a hell of a lot easier to play that way when you never have to worry about getting roughed up. Meanwhile, guys like Elway were out there getting helicoptered. Vick got his ribs broken by Dawkins. Cam Newton took two of the worst physical beatings of his life at the hands of our defense. You never see ANYBODY do that to Mahomes, even when they have the opportunity to. It’s inexplicable to me. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 1234567 said:

The thing that will always keep me from viewing Mahomes as Michael Jordan-esque is that he’s is easily the most protected player in the history of the league, and that’s including Tom Brady. Defensive players refuse to hit him. I’ve never seen anything like it. There are literally dozens of videos out there at this point showing defenders either trying to handle him with kids gloves, or avoid having to touch him at all, even on plays where they have a wide open chance to lay him out. I’m not saying he isn’t talented, because he is. But it’s a hell of a lot easier to play that way when you never have to worry about getting roughed up. Meanwhile, guys like Elway were out there getting helicoptered. Vick got his ribs broken by Dawkins. Cam Newton took two of the worst physical beatings of his life at the hands of our defense. You never see ANYBODY do that to Mahomes, even when they have the opportunity to. It’s inexplicable to me. 

I noticed that too.  I was going crazy about the defense not hitting Mahomes, especially since he wasn't sliding. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

The 49ers had to put their foot on the throat with that putrid Chiefs 1st half display. Instead, they did the total opposite and after the punt muff, the ending was all just too inevitable.

I think the difference between Kyle and his dad is that, daddy would have run CMC left, CMC right, CMC up the middle for a TD in overtime.  Kyle gets cute with the play calling where dad would just wear running backs down until they couldn't run anymore.  With CMC, Kyle didn't really need trick plays, he just needed to hand the ball of to him. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I noticed that too.  I was going crazy about the defense not hitting Mahomes, especially since he wasn't sliding. 

The one that killed me was the cornerback blitz on that 3rd and 4 late in the game. He was completely untouched and had free release. Instead of leveling Mahomes, or at least running AT him, he curled in front of him and stuck his hand out as he went by. Like he was trying to block a punt without hitting the kicker. Shocker, Mahomes easily completed the pass. I was just sitting there like.. what did I just watch?

12 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

The combination of Mahomes-Reid-Spagnuolo is the best there’s ever been and it ain’t close.

I hope everyone pays attention to your post. Reid and Spags are as good as they get. It doesn't stop there either. They have a great coaching staff with a perfect mix of older established veterans and smart young assistants. They are the epitome of stability, professionalism and  "draft and develop". 

That's what we're trying to compete with and it will take time. I think our hiring of Leonhard is a great step in that direction. Hopefully it's only the first coaching upgrade. Last year Sean had to scrape just to fill the staff. No quality coaches wanted to come here. Keep your fingers crossed that that is changing.

Anyway, there are no shortcuts. There isn't a QB in history that could make us competitive on a KC scale right now. Good drafts and great coaching will get it done though.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I hope everyone pays attention to your post. Reid and Spags are as good as they get. It doesn't stop there either. They have a great coaching staff with a perfect mix of older established veterans and smart young assistants. They are the epitome of stability, professionalism and  "draft and develop". 

That's what we're trying to compete with and it will take time. I think our hiring of Leonhard is a great step in that direction. Hopefully it's only the first coaching upgrade. Last year Sean had to scrape just to fill the staff. No quality coaches wanted to come here. Keep your fingers crossed that that is changing.

Anyway, there are no shortcuts. There isn't a QB in history that could make us competitive on a KC scale right now. Good drafts and great coaching will get it done though.

I think this point is huge especially with the stuff being talked about on the radio. Kansas City isn't even a complete team this year and they just won the Superbowl whereas 49ers are EASILY more stacked with 9 probowlers on paper and you'd never know from their run this playoffs (they almost lost to every team they faced). I think it shows it's about so much more than good players, though you need those too.

To your point, we need a team and a system where we can get the most out of the players we do have. Hopefully Sean can give that clear image going forward and can start bringing in certain types of players which can create said system. I'm all for it being a process especially since KC isn't going anyway. However, I'll also say we shouldn't just write off the next few years either. There will be a year or two where KC will have significant injuries and it could be an opportunity to get in there so we need to be ready when that happens.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

To your point, we need a team and a system where we can get the most out of the players we do have. Hopefully Sean can give that clear image going forward and can start bringing in certain types of players which can create said system. I'm all for it being a process especially since KC isn't going anyway. However, I'll also say we shouldn't just write off the next few years either. There will be a year or two where KC will have significant injuries and it could be an opportunity to get in there so we need to be ready when that happens.

This is why I'm on the "fire sale" and "tear it down to the studs" camp. We have no money to spend and limited draft resources, go get what you can within reasons. The Walmarts are all-in on Sean for at the very least the next two years, barring a major scandal, let him the build the team he wants, bring his guys that align with his vision.

• Like 3

Tell me what years you Americans go to school. In Canada, you start kindergarten the year you turn 5, which means you graduate high school the year you turn 18. What’s different down there?

I ask this because it always confuses me that NCAABB one-and-done’s enter the draft the year they turn 20, not 19 like they would here. 

9 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Tell me what years you Americans go to school. In Canada, you start kindergarten the year you turn 5, which means you graduate high school the year you turn 18. What’s different down there?

I ask this because it always confuses me that NCAABB one-and-done’s enter the draft the year they turn 20, not 19 like they would here. 

Depending on when your birthday is your parents might’ve had the option to keep you back a year, starting at 6 instead of 5.  for instance I had a few kids in my class that graduated at 19 but the majority turned 18 that year 

On 2/15/2024 at 10:44 PM, broncosfan_101 said:

What to have up there is same as here. Most schools want the kids to be over age 5 to begin kindergarten; I was 5 years and 5 months when I started, my daughter will be 5 and 6 months when she starts in August.

I believe in our home (public) school district you need to be 5 and 3 months+ to start kindergarten. However, our daughter’s school, which is an elite private school, requires 5 and 6 months or 5 years old with 2 years of preschool. So, our daughter just made the cut this year age wise but did 2 years of preschool at the same institution before so she is more than prepared and ready to start full time school.

On 2/15/2024 at 10:44 PM, broncosfan_101 said:

You're actually seeing something that started gaining steam in the late 90s. There was a study that showed professionals (I want to say European soccer?) players were disproportionately born in the late fall/ winter months. This was soon found to be the case for all professional sports around the world. People theorized/realized that this was the result of them missing the cuttoff for school which meant that they were bigger at the start of playing team sports (a time when developmental size matters) thus they were better. This lead to increased confidence/investment on the part of the athlete as well as naturally increased investment on the part of the parents and coaches. This led to a small benefit growing exponentially over the years. I think it was around the time I joined this forum that I first heard about this from a coworker who was saying he was going to delay stating his son in preschool a year (until he was 6) so that he would get the benefit without having to repeat a year (he’s now a starting PG at a P5 school). Many kids who’s parents think they have a shot are now being “redshirted” their grade 7/8 year for similar reasons. This means they will get more varsity time in HS, and more likely to get a scholarship to college. And thus you have a bunch of 19/20 yo freshmen 

• Like 2