Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

3 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

do we owe John Elway an apology that Joe Flacco signing wasn't bad had more left in the tank than I thoughtm

No, we don't owe Elway an apology.   Flacco was a terrible fit here.

Why is he succeeding now?   Well, it's simple - CLE's OL is a top 5, if not top 3 unit.   Flacco's also in better shape than he was with us, he's got a small but critical amount of functional mobility to move around the pocket that he didn't have back in our days.   

Great story, though, either way.

• Like 3

I’m surprised I’m not hearing more about the fact that FSU was afraid to compete, so they just quit (15+ opt outs)

They were like the small town kid who was the best in his region. All growing up people (FSU fans) are asking him where he’ll play college ball. “Definitely a big school so I can play for a Championship! Georgia or Alabama maybe?” But then his senior year comes and the biggest scholarship offer he gets is Oklahoma State (a new years six game but not in the playoffs). Not bad but did not meet his expectations. So instead of competing and proving everyone wrong for next year, he quits. Makes up some excuse about loving his girlfriend and wanting to stay local for the next two years while she finishes highschool (this is Florida after all). It’s the uncle Rico mentality: Better to quit and say you were wronged than to compete and fail. 

• Like 3

On 12/31/2023 at 8:39 AM, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I’m surprised I’m not hearing more about the fact that FSU was afraid to compete, so they just quit (15+ opt outs)

They were like the small town kid who was the best in his region. All growing up people (FSU fans) are asking him where he’ll play college ball. “Definitely a big school so I can play for a Championship! Georgia or Alabama maybe?” But then his senior year comes and the biggest scholarship offer he gets is Oklahoma State (a new years six game but not in the playoffs). Not bad but did not meet his expectations. So instead of competing and proving everyone wrong for next year, he quits. Makes up some excuse about loving his girlfriend and wanting to stay local for the next two years while she finishes highschool (this is Florida after all). It’s the uncle Rico mentality: Better to quit and say you were wronged than to compete and fail. 

So, I wasn't sure what you were talking about so I had to check. I was actually kinda stunned. 25 players and 14 starters decided to opt out of their bowl game. That's maybe the most disgusting "Team Sports" story I've ever heard.

For the rest of the team that game was probably going to be the highlight of their football career. To have 25 people bail for personal interest is inexcusable. 

Well, at least if they make an NFL tem the players on that roster already know what kind of teammate they'll be. I hope each and everyone gets the blanket party they so richly deserve.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

PS2 was shafted. Sauce Gardner 1st team All-Pro and PS2 doesn’t even make 2nd team. East Coast bias much. SMH

I could be wrong but I honestly don’t think surtain had as dominant of a season this year. I’ll see if I can find some stats regarding number of passes given up, targets, etc. Only the one int kinda hurts him too. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Anyone into investing any tips on stocks and such? I won money gambling thanks to @Broncofan this season so im trying to maximize earning potential on it. im not gonna make any money having it sit in a bank account.

Some pretty good high yield savings accounts out there these days with 4.5-5% apy. These can actually be really solid places to park money for emergency funds/money you want to be able to access easily. 

In regards to investment strategies, it is so dependent on how old you are, how much you make/can afford to contribute, what your goals are, etc that it’s hard to give good blanket statement advice. Do you plan on using specific apps/websites? 

57 minutes ago, MontanaBronco said:

Some pretty good high yield savings accounts out there these days with 4.5-5% apy. These can actually be really solid places to park money for emergency funds/money you want to be able to access easily. 

In regards to investment strategies, it is so dependent on how old you are, how much you make/can afford to contribute, what your goals are, etc that it’s hard to give good blanket statement advice. Do you plan on using specific apps/websites? 

I used robinhood in the past before the pandemic did well than the pandemic happened.  I have like 5k to invest. My dad keeps saying buy Boeing stock.

Edited by thebestever6

5 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I used robinhood in the past before the pandemic did well than the pandemic happened.  I have like 5k to invest. My dad keeps saying buy Boeing stock.

I would encourage you to look into index funds. Investing into individual stocks is generally considered to be quite risky and akin to gambling in that it could pay off but you are just as likely if not more likely to take a loss. Buying individual stocks requires a lot of hands on management or else a good deal of luck if you aren’t paying attention. Index funds allow you to invest in a diverse group of stocks that make up the largest share of the stock market which essentially means you are betting on the entire stock market to increase in value over time and not just one stock. Historically the market has increased and people who stayed in long term have done very well. In addition, most people who invest in individual stock don’t consistently beat the return of index funds. 

This article gives a decent overview and explains some of the nuance/details, but tons of other information out there if you want it.

https://www.fool.com/investing/how-to-invest/index-funds/average-return/

• Like 1