Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I hate Alabama, but Florida State missing the college football playoffs could indeed be a blessing in disguise. The exclusion signifies a shift towards valuing strength of schedule over mere win-loss records by the selection committee. This change might encourage powerhouse teams to prioritize challenging opponents during their non-conference schedules instead of opting for weaker opponents. Ultimately, this shift could lead to more exciting and competitive matchups for viewers, steering away from predictable outcomes and fostering a higher quality of football games.

Furthermore, expanding to an 8-team playoff format, including all 4 power conference champions (now that the PAC-12 is dead) and 4 at-large teams, would enhance the trend. If the committee maintains its emphasis on schedule strength, this shift would likely lead to even more high-profile games in September and October.

Of course if all of this was just to ensure that the SEC was represented then it’s a travesty. 

The 12-team playoff starts next season I think? I’m fine with FSU missing out, to be honest (and not just cause I’m a Canes fan.) Voters have to thread the needle of ‘which teams deserve to be there?’ and ‘which are the best teams?’ There were 7 teams with exceptional résumés this year (Ohio State’s only loss was to #1 Michigan, Georgia’s 29-game winning streak was snapped by #4 Alabama). If you put FSU against either Texas or Alabama next week, they’re easily double digit underdogs. I know it’s not fair to exclude Florida State strictly because of Jordan Travis’s injury, but at the same time…come on. Let’s all save ourselves from the horror of watching that offence again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

The 12-team playoff starts next season I think? I’m fine with FSU missing out, to be honest (and not just cause I’m a Canes fan.) Voters have to thread the needle of ‘which teams deserve to be there?’ and ‘which are the best teams?’ There were 7 teams with exceptional résumés this year (Ohio State’s only loss was to #1 Michigan, Georgia’s 29-game winning streak was snapped by #4 Alabama). If you put FSU against either Texas or Alabama next week, they’re easily double digit underdogs. I know it’s not fair to exclude Florida State strictly because of Jordan Travis’s injury, but at the same time…come on. Let’s all save ourselves from the horror of watching that offence again. 

Plus the other part of the equation is that players / coaches who are missing the game count in the rankings.    

If Jordan Travis wasn’t out for the season and could play I suspect the Committee would have kept them.    That would have been quite the result to see no SEC team in.    But once Travis was out the FSU chances got really long.  

FSU’s unimpressive win over Louisville reinforced your point about them being a massive dog with the team they have now.   As it stands they are already a 14 pt dog to Georgia (oof).  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I hate Alabama, but Florida State missing the college football playoffs could indeed be a blessing in disguise. The exclusion signifies a shift towards valuing strength of schedule over mere win-loss records by the selection committee. This change might encourage powerhouse teams to prioritize challenging opponents during their non-conference schedules instead of opting for weaker opponents. Ultimately, this shift could lead to more exciting and competitive matchups for viewers, steering away from predictable outcomes and fostering a higher quality of football games.

Furthermore, expanding to an 8-team playoff format, including all 4 power conference champions (now that the PAC-12 is dead) and 4 at-large teams, would enhance the trend. If the committee maintains its emphasis on schedule strength, this shift would likely lead to even more high-profile games in September and October.

Of course if all of this was just to ensure that the SEC was represented then it’s a travesty. 

Eh, I think this came down to Jordan Travis's injury and the marketability of the game. The committee wants a competitive set of games, and FSU likely gets blown out. I think it's a shame FSU didn't get in, because on the balance they won they did everything you'd ask a Power 5 champion to do.

I think the real unintended (or maybe intended) consequence here is the fallout for the ACC. Would not be shocked to see some of the teams in that league try to get out ASAP. Why would they stay? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, broncos67 said:

Eh, I think this came down to Jordan Travis's injury and the marketability of the game. The committee wants a competitive set of games, and FSU likely gets blown out. I think it's a shame FSU didn't get in, because on the balance they won they did everything you'd ask a Power 5 champion to do.

I think the real unintended (or maybe intended) consequence here is the fallout for the ACC. Would not be shocked to see some of the teams in that league try to get out ASAP. Why would they stay? 

I agree. I guess better wording would be strength on the team rather than just W/L. Either way I hope it pushes more teams to have 1-2 tough out of conference games, because we all benefit

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Remember a couple years ago when Cincinnati went undefeated and got into the playoffs? And how Alabama absolutely coasted to the easiest 27-6 win we’ve ever seen? No one wants to watch that again just because FSU beat a terrible Louisville team. 

And again, the ACC will be fine, especially with the 12-team playoff starting next year. Sucks for FSU now, but I’d have Georgia and Ohio State in the playoff before them anyways. 

Edited by broncosfan_101
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Remember a couple years ago when Cincinnati went undefeated and got into the playoffs? And how Alabama absolutely coasted to the easiest 27-6 win we’ve ever seen? No one wants to watch that again just because FSU beat a terrible Louisville team. 

And again, the ACC will be fine, especially with the 12-team playoff starting next year. Sucks for FSU now, but I’d have Georgia and Ohio State in the playoff before them anyways. 

And Oregon. 2 losses to Washington by a total of 6 points. Both games came down to the final play. 

10 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Really? Let me guess: The playoff is going to start after New Year's Day, am I right? If that's true, they want to expand it so they can get the title game in February sweeps. Pathetic.

My only takeaway from tonight is that I truly hope that the rest of the field doesn't find a way to let KC backdoor its way to a bye.   SMH Miami.

I get it was more than just him, but Fangio going full prevent in the last 5 mins of the game.....jeez man.   Nice W for the Titans, signature moment for Will Levis (sushi-raw, but there's some legit talent lying in there).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Broncofan said:

My only takeaway from tonight is that I truly hope that the rest of the field doesn't find a way to let KC backdoor its way to a bye.   SMH Miami.

I get it was more than just him, but Fangio going full prevent in the last 5 mins of the game.....jeez man.   Nice W for the Titans, signature moment for Will Levis (sushi-raw, but there's some legit talent lying in there).

Baltimore has a one-game lead for the one seed but they go to Jacksonville and to San Fran before hosting Miami and Pittsburgh. Miami has a road trip to Baltimore and hosts the Jets, Cowboys and Bills.

KC's schedule is much for favorable - at NE, vs LV, vs CIN and at LAC. 

That loss last night could really come back to haunt the Dolphins. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican