Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

16 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Gotta get the Swifties to the Super Bowl. 

Here's the problem with Sharp's premise - the crews are completely different for the playoffs than in the regular season.  

Using reg. season stats with different crews to imply this is the upcoming result for this ref crew is really, really, really flawed reasoning by Sharp.  His star has fallen a long ways from his peak days with innovative data analysis.

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Here's the problem with Sharp's premise - the crews are completely different for the playoffs than in the regular season.  

Using reg. season stats with different crews to imply this is the upcoming result for this ref crew is really, really, really flawed reasoning by Sharp.  His star has fallen a long ways from his peak days with innovative data analysis.

How often do crews change year-to-year? Cause doing some digging, apparently over the last 4 years, Smith’s crews have been pretty neutral with home-road splits with every call except DPI, which is like 65% against home teams. If he’s had the same back judge all those years, that’s probably a dude worth looking into by the league. 

19 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

How often do crews change year-to-year? Cause doing some digging, apparently over the last 4 years, Smith’s crews have been pretty neutral with home-road splits with every call except DPI, which is like 65% against home teams. If he’s had the same back judge all those years, that’s probably a dude worth looking into by the league. 

They only change the crews for playoffs barring normal HR turnover (retirements, etc.).    Year-to-year, they're pretty much the same in the regular season.

For the playoffs, the league assembles all-star crews.    Again, 17-26 isn't that wild of a difference, but to use regular season data for your regular crew and then use it to infer playoff game bias, when it's a totally different crew, is incredibly flawed logic.   

Sharp is rightfully getting skewered by data guys on the math analysis alone; they don't even get to the point we're talking apples to oranges here.   Only total casual / click-bait ppl like Kleiman are taking off with this.  

Edited by Broncofan

This was after news of Fangio parting ways.   Guess he wasn’t a fan lol.    This is a theme from Fangio last days at Denver. 

FWIW it doesn’t sound like it was just Holland either.   Rosenhaus reps 6 MIA guys (not Holland)

NGL his dad’s answer made me chuckle lol.  It’s too bad MIA & PHI played each other this year a rematch would have been spicy.  

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Lamar shows once again that his limitations as a passer make him a regular season darling/postseason detriment. My moneys on the blame going to Monken for the game he had to call to maximize Lamar. 

Agreed.  This is also the problem with the Shanahan tree.  Exceptional coaches, but they want to do it without an exceptional QB.  

• Like 1

It got missed between the bad ref call on their T eligible sub error vs. DAL but Dan Campbell once again showed the difference between being aggressive and being reckless.      His decision to go against the FG not once but twice changed that game, and then going with the run on 3rd down trailing 10 to burn a TO was beyond mind boggling (and Campbell def has input on this).

I know the metrics slightly favored FG but knowing the game flow passing it up 2x (just like trying to score a 2-pt conversion 3x lol) you have to know your limits.   To call run and be forced to use TO on the last drive was just the cherry on top of the one of the all time worst game management decisions.    After going for a 2-pt conversion 3x in a row vs DAL, you’d think he learned about limits to aggression…but nope.   

SMH poor Lions fans deserved better.   You never know when your next shot at the crown comes.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

If only ppl had some clue Hackett was an awful OC…..DEN fans are shocked to read this.  🤨

Paton actually wanted Dan Quinn (according to Mile High View), but Elway (his front office and player personnel team is really running things along with his nephew) ordered him to hire Hackett (to get A-Rod, who was never coming here. That was all a lie). 

5 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Paton actually wanted Dan Quinn (according to Mile High View), but Elway (his front office and player personnel team is really running things along with his nephew) ordered him to hire Hackett (to get A-Rod, who was never coming here. That was all a lie). 

I don’t think Quinn would have been as inept as Hackett - I mean even Mac and Vance looked at Hackett and had to think “damn that’s a bad HC” - but I’m not sure Quinn would have been light years better either. 

I’ve mentioned it then, I’ll say it now, yeah there might be some “run through the wall for…” traits Quinn has but ultimately I see a guy who in his one stint as a HC the only success came with Kyle & Co. running the offense with an established QB and during his two successful DC stints he has had rosters with a lot of all-world talent. 

Maybe the “retread” thing will work - and with Quinn, it appears Washington will provide the proof - and it’s worked before with many, many coaches. But I remain skeptical. He has been passed over year after year but who knows. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I don’t think Quinn would have been as inept as Hackett - I mean even Mac and Vance looked at Hackett and had to think “damn that’s a bad HC” - but I’m not sure Quinn would have been light years better either. 

I’ve mentioned it then, I’ll say it now, yeah there might be some “run through the wall for…” traits Quinn has but ultimately I see a guy who in his one stint as a HC the only success came with Kyle & Co. running the offense with an established QB and during his two successful DC stints he has had rosters with a lot of all-world talent. 

Maybe the “retread” thing will work - and with Quinn, it appears Washington will provide the proof - and it’s worked before with many, many coaches. But I remain skeptical. He has been passed over year after year but who knows. 

Quinn's biggest flaw was his game management - it's hard to know if it's better.   But man, there's about a 0 percent chance he would have been as bad as Hackett.    Maybe it doesn't get us any further, but it's hard to think anyone is as incompetent as Hackett and his cronies were.   

It looks more likely he'll get the WAS gig (he has to be a frontrunner in a meh crowd that's left) - guess we'll find out soon enough.

• Like 2

What are your thoughts on the HC cycle this year? It’s no secret the last 2 years Dan Quinn and Raheem Morris were at the top of my list for the broncos. I think they landed in the best spots for them as well. think in 5 years they will be considered thusly:

Home Run (multiple deep playoff runs):

Los Angeles Chargers - Jim Harbaugh
Atlanta Falcons - Raheem Morris

Washington Commanders - Dan Quinn

Solid Hire (always competing for a playoff spot):

Seattle Seahawks - Mike Macdonald
Tennessee Titans - Brian Callahan

Still there but on the hot seat:
Las Vegas Raiders - Antonio Pierce

Already fired:

Carolina Panthers - Dave Canales

New England Patriots - Jerod Mayo