Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

22 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

What are your thoughts on the HC cycle this year? It’s no secret the last 2 years Dan Quinn and Raheem Morris were at the top of my list for the broncos. I think they landed in the best spots for them as well. think in 5 years they will be considered thusly:

Home Run (multiple deep playoff runs):

Los Angeles Chargers - Jim Harbaugh
Atlanta Falcons - Raheem Morris

Washington Commanders - Dan Quinn

Solid Hire (always competing for a playoff spot):

Seattle Seahawks - Mike Macdonald
Tennessee Titans - Brian Callahan

Still there but on the hot seat:
Las Vegas Raiders - Antonio Pierce

Already fired:

Carolina Panthers - Dave Canales

New England Patriots - Jerod Mayo

Jim Harbaugh was my top choice last year and the year before. He’ll do great things with the Chargers if Spanos gets out of the way. Homerun hire. 

Raheem Morris has a lot of experience under a lot of different HCs, providing exposure to different ways of doing things, he has 2 rings as an assistant as well as prior HC experience, gets good marks for his leadership traits and seems to strike a Tomlin like balance of being liked but also respected by his players. He’s also in a very soft division. Get a QB and I think he makes Atlanta a regular fixture in the playoffs. 

I like what Harris and his group are doing in Washington, very professional operation, which is a complete 180* from the last 25 years. Adam Peters is a homerun hire as a GM. Dan Quinn I’m on record as saying he’s been an overhyped candidate. He had elite talent across the board on his defense in Seattle while working under an elite HC. His only success in Atlanta came with Kyle & Co running his offense. In Dallas, again, talent across the board on defense but not much to show for it. He does seem to have the leadership traits, he’s the right age and has experience. It’s going to come down to a) who does he hire as his OC (Chip Kelly or Kliff Kingsbury, as rumored, are non-starters for me), b) can he handle the media magnifying glass that is the NFCE and c) can he draft the right QB and, building on point a, hire the right OC to develop him. I don’t see a disaster but I don’t see a homerun hire like UK. 

I like both McDonald and Callahan, especially for their situations where they’re not under a bright national spotlight and aren’t expected to compete immediately. If they can build steadily and hit on the right draft picks, I can see them building into something a la Sean McDermott, Zac Taylor and Dan Campbell as rookie HCs going to rebuilding teams. I’d have taken either here for us if we had been in the market this year. 

Antonio Pierce - he’s already screwed up by hiring Luke Getsey as OC and his GM is a proven failure. I can understand Mark Davis wanting to do the popular thing in the locker room after subjecting the players to the McZiegler regime. But you can’t let the inmates run the asylum. They’ll play hard for him but in a division that has the Chiefs and Chargers and a conference loaded with teams with franchise QBs, no way they’ll contend.

Dave Canales seems like a potential up and comer but that’s a dumpster fire of an organization, with apologies to dumpster fires everywhere. The good news is Canales will get a valuable learning experience for 20-25 games before he’s fired. I expect him to get another shot 5 or so years from now where he could find success. 

Bob Kraft did one smart thing in his career - he let Bill Belichick draft Tom Brady at #199 overall in the 2000 NFL draft. Mayo actually seems like a really good guy, and if someone without any exposure to anything other than the Patriot Way is going to succeed, it would happen in New England. But it won’t, I expect to see the Pats return to their early-1990s form. 

I got to wondering if the Chargers had just given Jim the GM title as well as HC but I looked into it and saw they hired Joe Hortiz, who has been with Baltimore since 1998 and steadily moved up from a personnel assistant to Player Personnel Director. I’m sure Jim has final say, either overtly or implicitly, but bringing in a pro like Hortiz from an elite organization who has interviewed for several GM openings lately to serve as Jim’s right-hand man should given us even more concerns as Broncos fans. 

3 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I got to wondering if the Chargers had just given Jim the GM title as well as HC but I looked into it and saw they hired Joe Hortiz, who has been with Baltimore since 1998 and steadily moved up from a personnel assistant to Player Personnel Director. I’m sure Jim has final say, either overtly or implicitly, but bringing in a pro like Hortiz from an elite organization who has interviewed for several GM openings lately to serve as Jim’s right-hand man should given us even more concerns as Broncos fans. 

Chargers have had a fantastic offseason going from Tom Telesco to Joe Hortiz & Brandan Staley to Jim Harbaugh.   The only blemish is the decision to hire Greg Roman as the OC.   Roman is a great run game planner but his pass game being called simplistic is an insult to simpletons.   Still overall it’s a massive upgrade. 

LV’s hire of Antonio Pierce can be justified given his performance but its led to Mark Davis going away from Champ Kelly to Tom Telesco as GM to avoid 2 rookie HC & GM.   What a disaster move.   To then add Luke Getsy as OC - good start, terrible finish for LV.   Typical Mark Davis.   

• Like 1

Just a thought. Looks to me like Nick Casserio, GM of the Texans, has finally broken the mold of NE executives/coaches when they leave the Pats. He's had 3 great drafts with the Texans, engineered a great trade for Watson, drafted the DROY and OROY last year in Stroud and Anderson and seems to finally have landed his HC after 3 tries in Ryans.

Also, NE's personnel dept, what Casserio was in charge of for over a decade, hasn't been up to par since he left in 2020.

Interesting guy to keep an eye on.

On 2/4/2024 at 7:25 PM, Cutler06 said:

With Getsy getting hired, do you believe Fields is more in play for the Raiders ?

I mean, anything's possible - but if you pick Getsy, you're almost giving a pass for the CHI pass O ineptitude because you think Fields was the bigger problem.   A big cautionary note on Getsy - he'll be cited as having a really good run O - CHI ranked 2nd in rushing yards, and 6th in YPC - but if you take out Justin Fields' stats, the Bears rank in the bottom half of both cats.   Given their OL improved a lot this year, it raises a lot of Q's on how much CHI's O limitations were on Fields or Getsy.    I'm not sure that's a combo you really want to run it back with.

13 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Just a thought. Looks to me like Nick Casserio, GM of the Texans, has finally broken the mold of NE executives/coaches when they leave the Pats. He's had 3 great drafts with the Texans, engineered a great trade for Watson, drafted the DROY and OROY last year in Stroud and Anderson and seems to finally have landed his HC after 3 tries in Ryans.

Also, NE's personnel dept, what Casserio was in charge of for over a decade, hasn't been up to par since he left in 2020.

Interesting guy to keep an eye on.

David Tepper bailed him out. I'd wager my 401(k) on Casserio taking Bryce Young over C.J. Stroud had he had a choice of both given the Belichick/Saban connection.

And Casserio wasn't "in charge" of New England's personnel department, it's been Belichick with final say ever since 2000 regardless of what other fancy titles that Casserio, Jon Robinson, Dave Ziegler, Bob Quinn, Scott Pioli, Thomas Dimitroff, etc., have held. The game has passed Belichick by - he is still a master strategist and maybe even the best defensive coordinator in the NFL but he's been woeful in personnel management and he cannot relate to the kids coming into the league today. 

But in the end, as regards Casserio, sometimes the best decisions are the ones you don't make, that was the case with C.J. Stroud.  

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 3

Strange day for me today. I know I’ve mentioned this before, and I don’t wanna get to a place where I’m beating a dead horse. But as we’re about to watch the San Francisco 49ers play in the Super Bowl today, I can’t help but acknowledge the obvious connections they all have to Denver. It’s like all the pieces and descendants from our years of actually being relevant have reassembled in another town and now they’ve built the team that should have been ours.

Kyle Shanahan should  have been OUR coach. John Lynch could have been OUR GM. Mcaffery could be OUR running back. Brian Griese could have been our QB coach and maybe, just maybe, he would have developed Drew Lock into a viable starter in this league. And we wouldn’t have traded away ALL of our draft picks for a washed up shell of Russel Wilson or a coach that apparently no one wants to stay and work for. Nor would we be in salary cap hell today. 

I promise it’s the last time I’ll ever say it, but I will NEVER forgive Joe Ellis for the damage he did to this franchise. The spiteful decisions he made over his last 10 years here laid the foundation for the mess we’re in today. I wouldn’t p*ss on that man to put out a fire.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

Strange day for me today. I know I’ve mentioned this before, and I don’t wanna get to a place where I’m beating a dead horse. But as we’re about to watch the San Francisco 49ers play in the Super Bowl today, I can’t help but acknowledge the obvious connections they all have to Denver. It’s like all the pieces and descendants from our years of actually being relevant have reassembled in another town and now they’ve built the team that should have been ours.

Kyle Shanahan should  have been OUR coach. John Lynch could have been OUR GM. Mcaffery could be OUR running back. Brian Griese could have been our QB coach and maybe, just maybe, he would have developed Drew Lock into a viable starter in this league. And we wouldn’t have traded away ALL of our draft picks for a washed up shell of Russel Wilson or a coach that apparently no one wants to stay and work for. Nor would we be in salary cap hell today. 

I promise it’s the last time I’ll ever say it, but I will NEVER forgive Joe Ellis for the damage he did to this franchise. The spiteful decisions he made over his last 10 years here laid the foundation for the mess we’re in today. I wouldn’t p*ss on that man to put out a fire.

I echo this 100%. I’ll also add we wouldn’t have to worry about Drew Lock being developed or not as I’m sure that, when staring at the draft board in 2018, Kyle would have pounded the hard enough for Josh Allen to be the pick over Chubb. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I echo this 100%. I’ll also add we wouldn’t have to worry about Drew Lock being developed or not as I’m sure that, when staring at the draft board in 2018, Kyle would have pounded the hard enough for Josh Allen to be the pick over Chubb. 

My god, Josh Allen in a run heavy Shanahan offense.. That’s our 1998 team all over again. 

• Like 2

Does anyone think Mahomes will finish his career with less than 5 Super Bowl wins? I hate to say it but if Manning/Brady was kind of a modern Magic/Bird for QB play, Mahomes is Jordan. 

Kyle Shanahan blowing three Super Bowls before turning 45 is also crazy. He’s going to get more opportunities in a weaker NFC too. 

13 hours ago, 1234567 said:

Ellis wasn't great, but Shanahan wanted full control. Wasn't going to happen with Elway being here (who has done more damage than Ellis). 

8 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Does anyone think Mahomes will finish his career with less than 5 Super Bowl wins? I hate to say it but if Manning/Brady was kind of a modern Magic/Bird for QB play, Mahomes is Jordan. 

Kyle Shanahan blowing three Super Bowls before turning 45 is also crazy. He’s going to get more opportunities in a weaker NFC too. 

The combination of Mahomes-Reid-Spagnuolo is the best there’s ever been and it ain’t close. We may as well slow build and try to peak in 3-4 years when Reid might get old enough to think about retiring, because right now it feels like that group is inevitable every year, for as long as they want to be.

Was this a Kyle choke job? Maybe. The choice to receive in OT didn’t make sense unless you subscribe to my tinfoil hat theory that he’s still looking for a QB he can trust. Besides that, I thought the game plan was fine. He pounded CMC vs a terrible run D, but Spags had that unit coached up so hard. 

• Like 2