Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

On 2/18/2024 at 12:44 PM, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

You're actually seeing something that started gaining steam in the late 90s. There was a study that showed professionals (I want to say European soccer?) players were disproportionately born in the late fall/ winter months. This was soon found to be the case for all professional sports around the world. People theorized/realized that this was the result of them missing the cuttoff for school which meant that they were bigger at the start of playing team sports (a time when developmental size matters) thus they were better. This lead to increased confidence/investment on the part of the athlete as well as naturally increased investment on the part of the parents and coaches. This led to a small benefit growing exponentially over the years. I think it was around the time I joined this forum that I first heard about this from a coworker who was saying he was going to delay stating his son in preschool a year (until he was 6) so that he would get the benefit without having to repeat a year (he’s now a starting PG at a P5 school). Many kids who’s parents think they have a shot are now being “redshirted” their grade 7/8 year for similar reasons. This means they will get more varsity time in HS, and more likely to get a scholarship to college. And thus you have a bunch of 19/20 yo freshmen 

If anyone's curious to read more about this, Malcom Gladwell has a great book on this called Outliers. Definitely worth a read. 

2 hours ago, MontanaBronco said:

This must be why I was always picked last….

In all honesty though that’s an interesting concept and something I feel like I have seen play out anecdotally. Sounds like the next book for me to read 

As a December baby, agreed. Totally why I was picked last too. 

27 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Anyone else see the irony that Sean Peyton has literally been linked to every draft QB and FA QB on the market, many does he fall in love fast and often....😂

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Albright and Cecil are just throwing **** at the wall. Seems like every thread leads back to one of them. I’ve yet to see anything of substance other than the broncos meeting with Pratt at the senior bowl 

• Like 5

On 2/24/2024 at 4:47 PM, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Albright and Cecil are just throwing **** at the wall. Seems like every thread leads back to one of them. I’ve yet to see anything of substance other than the broncos meeting with Pratt at the senior bowl 

Clickbait season. Believe nothing you read and half what you hear.

• Like 2

Denver announced their new DL coach, Jamar Cain. This is his first season in the NFL but he's had 20 years coaching front 7 positions in college for 20 years. 

Should be a significant upgrade and a perfect fit for developing young players.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. How would you like to trade places with the Packers right now?

Rising star at HC in Lafleur, what looks like a legit franchise QB in Love, the youngest roster in the league and a compliment of 11 draft picks including 5 (#'s 25, 41, 58, 88, 91) in the top 100. Oh, and they have $31m in cap space.