Which quarterback has the hottest seat in 2018?

Soko

9 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Jameis Winston passer rating and completion percentage has improved every year he’s been in the league. He also set career bests last season in yards per attempt and interception percentage.  Led the nfl in percentage of throws that went for first downs 

The team around him collapsed last year being at bottom of the league in rushing support and overal defense so the perception was that he regressed as well or hasn’t gotten better but that’s just not accurate 

It isn't accurate but the fact the bucs haven't gotten better (Potentially worse) hasn't changed. 

Jameis is a solid NFL QB at this point (Solid as in, you could be starting Ryan Fitzpatrick and he has the potential to be better) but unless the Bucs start winning/he plays like a top 12-ish QB he won't be the answer they wanted from the 1st pick. 

I think the two hottest seats have to be Flacco and Tannehill. Flacco has a 1st round rookie QB in his mirror and has had a very up and down career. And Tannehill is just one of the players who people expect to break out every year and he just turns out mediocre at best. With Darnold and Allen now in the division Dolphins could be forced into trading up in next years draft for their first round QB.

Flacco is on the list, but I disagree with what most are saying the situation is like. Flacco will be the QB for as long as he is the most effective option. There is no one year make or break (even though he will obviously will be the best option this year). It's not a smart football move to cut costs $18.5M salary in 2019 if it means downgrading at QB. There is no rush at all when we have Jackson's rights in the cheap for 4+1 option years. And the Ravens cap situation isn't even an issue (even this year), but even more so in 2019 and beyond. The second biggest contract is Jimmy Smith, who would easily be the first option to cut costs, even if we had a reason to. In short, the whole contract thing won't be a factor; Flacco IS on the hot seat, because he's got a very talented young prospect behind him, but as long as he's the better QB, he will keep his job.

Also, I think contrary to popular opinion, I think the most likely outcome is that Flacco never gets cut through the 4 years left on his contact. Traded is the bigger possibility. 

36 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Flacco is on the list, but I disagree with what most are saying the situation is like. Flacco will be the QB for as long as he is the most effective option. There is no one year make or break (even though he will obviously will be the best option this year). It's not a smart football move to cut costs $18.5M salary in 2019 if it means downgrading at QB. There is no rush at all when we have Jackson's rights in the cheap for 4+1 option years. And the Ravens cap situation isn't even an issue (even this year), but even more so in 2019 and beyond. The second biggest contract is Jimmy Smith, who would easily be the first option to cut costs, even if we had a reason to. In short, the whole contract thing won't be a factor; Flacco IS on the hot seat, because he's got a very talented young prospect behind him, but as long as he's the better QB, he will keep his job.

Also, I think contrary to popular opinion, I think the most likely outcome is that Flacco never gets cut through the 4 years left on his contact. Traded is the bigger possibility. 

yup Jackson is essentially a 2nd round pick (only cost the ravens 1 second round pick to move up), the first round pick was Hayden Hurst.. If flacco plays like we all expect him to this year l, I can see him playing well into the 2020 season. As talented as Jackson has been touted, he has looked very very bad this preseason

1 hour ago, pigsooie5 said:

Ryan Tannehill

Joe Flacco

Andy Dalton

Jameis Winston

Marcus Mariota 

All have shown to be average at best, without significant improvement I could see all 5 playing elsewhere next season.

Andy, Jameis, and Marcus can all easily be cut with $0 in cap hit so they're all definitely on the hot seat.  Tannehill and Flacco have some ugly contracts so even if they get benched they'll likely still be on the roster for a minute unless they can find trade partners.

Agreeing with the rest of the Ravens fans. Since 2014, Flacco has been more up and down than he had in previous years. The main difference from the rest of his career has been his inability to stay healthy, as he has basically been himself for the latter part of 2016 coming off his ACL and MCL tears.

Lamar Jackson has looked worse than I actually thought he would, so if Flacco can keep the Ravens competetive this year, I could easily see him play another year and maybe another year after that.

3 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

It isn't accurate but the fact the bucs haven't gotten better (Potentially worse) hasn't changed. 

Jameis is a solid NFL QB at this point (Solid as in, you could be starting Ryan Fitzpatrick and he has the potential to be better) but unless the Bucs start winning/he plays like a top 12-ish QB he won't be the answer they wanted from the 1st pick. 

So when the defence is handed a 7 point lead with two minutes to play, it’s on Winston if they choke it away?

You cant measure Winston’s impact on the Bucs purely by wins and losses, especially when the defence has been so prone to blowing leads during his time in Tampa.

Regardless, the Bucs were 7-9, 3-13 and 2-14 in their 3 seasons before drafting Winston. They’re 6-10, 9-7 and 5-11 since. Not a great improvement, but not “potentially worse”.

4 minutes ago, Danand said:

Lamar Jackson has looked worse than I actually thought he would, so if Flacco can keep the Ravens competetive this year, I could easily see him play another year and maybe another year after that.

I just replied to your post in the Ravens thread, but Jackson is absolutely a threat though. Running QBs are competitive right away (at least for a couple years) and Jackson is already better than people think.

Actually.... Come at me NFL General:

Just now, wackywabbit said:

Here's my broken-record auto-post:Jackson's performance was MUCH better than people thought. 

Yep, I saw those wildly inaccurate passes on the first two drives, the numbers on the box score, and that one decision to run where he almost fumbled was the second worst thing I saw last week (after the Ronnie Stanley injury). But, that outing overall was another perfect data point for my (internet-forum) thesis that what people see and track for mobile QBs doesn't correlate with what really matters: successful drives that lead to points (1st) and changing field position (2nd). The collective takeaways from Jackson' vs Colts couldn't be more negative, but ii you are tracking from the drive success lens:

Jackson had 5 drives:
-The first 2 he didn't move the ball at all. No first downs. But (barely) didn't turn the ball over. 
-Then he rebounded with a strong 10-play 56 yard FG drive
-Then on a short field (Indy 27), he maximized it, taking it all the way to the end zone, with some nice throws
-Finally he got the ball inside his own 5 after a goal line stand and took it 7 plays and 43 yards to near mid-field before stalling and punting. At worst, flipping the field there was a neutral outcome for that drive.

And that^ got the most pessimistic reception of any QB outing this preseason. Hey, it's not cherry-picking if you highlight a metric beforehand and report it every week. I'll do it again after I get to watch tonight's game. I don't know if you guys are tracking the other rookie QB's, but (23 year old, 1st overall pick) Baker Mayfield only had one scoring drive in his last outing. A field goal drive. It went for negative 1 yard. Is every writer jumping on him like they did Lamar? Nope. Last week against the Bills when his first 3 drives (not counting end of half) only had one first down (a Nick Chubb 14 yard run) did everyone panic like they did for Lamar's first two drives? Nope. I already talked about my favorite data point: Darnold's first game. THE most hyped up outing of any rookie QB this preseason ----> moving the ball one out of SEVEN drives. But, "poise" doe. 

The true catch is that we know it's not physically sustainable over the long-term (multiple seasons) to take hits like Jackson as, but my takeaway is that for a short stretch, I see know reason why Jackson can't come in with the first-team in the regular season and be effective enough to survive. I don't know if you guys remember Flacco's first preseason but THAT was a dreadful preseason. He didn't move the ball at all and turned it over a bunch. Yet, Flacco had a strong rookie year. LJ8 has been much better in the preseason (2 years younger than Flacco was as a rookie) and his entire viability as a QB has been questioned.

6 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

I love how people act like how everytime the Bucs lose. They always blame Jameis. I guess you can blame him for the 72-6 collapse last night. I have said this a thousand times on here but... Last year. The Bucs had no run game, no offensive line help, terrible coaching, a soft defense, and kickers who are the epitome of Scott Norwood. Not to mention Jameis had a shoulder injury. Jameis looked a lot better at the end of last year when he was healing up and so far in the preseason. He has looked really good.   

Here is a cool fact. Last year Jameis Winston put his team in a position to win about 4 or 5 times last year for the defense or special teams to screw it up. 

7 hours ago, Jimmy Austin said:

If the Bucs cut Winston. It will not be because of his play. It will be because if he does more crap off the field. 

I would say Joe Flacco, Ryan Tannehill, and Eli Manning. 

Unless Jameis is accused of rape or something that serious he's not getting cut period.

6 hours ago, Jimmy Austin said:

I love how people act like how everytime the Bucs lose. They always blame Jameis. I guess you can blame him for the 72-6 collapse last night. I have said this a thousand times on here but... Last year. The Bucs had no run game, no offensive line help, terrible coaching, a soft defense, and kickers who are the epitome of Scott Norwood. Not to mention Jameis had a shoulder injury. Jameis looked a lot better at the end of last year when he was healing up and so far in the preseason. He has looked really good.   

Here is a cool fact. Last year Jameis Winston put his team in a position to win about 4 or 5 times last year for the defense or special teams to screw it up. 

Like it or not the QB gets the blame regardless of whose fault it is, Dirk Koetter's on the hot seat and Jameis is in year 4 with essentially a "prove it year". The bucs have a terrible team around him save for some playmakers on offense, agreed on that part but at the end of the day the QB falls on the sword.

11 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Mariota and Winston are both going into year 5, if they don't convince their teams they're the real deal both clubs could reset the QB salary and go with young guys in the next year or two with a more veteran team around those rookies. 

Year 4 but you're not wrong. 

9 hours ago, Buc Ball said:

So when the defence is handed a 7 point lead with two minutes to play, it’s on Winston if they choke it away?

You cant measure Winston’s impact on the Bucs purely by wins and losses, especially when the defence has been so prone to blowing leads during his time in Tampa.

Regardless, the Bucs were 7-9, 3-13 and 2-14 in their 3 seasons before drafting Winston. They’re 6-10, 9-7 and 5-11 since. Not a great improvement, but not “potentially worse”.

Yes you can, it's called winning and if a QB doesn't win he's not doing good enough. Jameis has had a solid 3 seasons and is not the biggest Bucs problem at all, but still if a QB doesn't win it doesn't matter. 

Archived