Which quarterback has the hottest seat in 2018?

Soko

21 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Dalton shouldn't be in this conversation for "hottest" seat.  100% agree that with a reasonable FO and HC, he should be but let's be real.  Bengals have zero backups that can compete with Dalton for the starting role, and Marvin has a 2 year extension.  After the 2019 season if he continues to keep playing the way he has been, then I agree he'll be on the hot seat.  But as of now, it's his job for the next 2 years barring a major injury...

Like I said, much like Marvin Lewis... He is safer than he should be.

I don't even think Dalton is as terrible as some make him out to be... But I do think he needs to start feeling some pressure.

13 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I've never seen a thread more tailored for the answer to be unequivocally "Joe Flacco and it's not even close".

Ive seen one "Who is better than Tom Brady" 9/10 people replied Joe Flacco. 

Obviously that was on a ravens forum and after the SB win but that thread aged so poorly.

2 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Dalton shouldn't be in this conversation for "hottest" seat.  100% agree that with a reasonable FO and HC, he should be but let's be real.  Bengals have zero backups that can compete with Dalton for the starting role, and Marvin has a 2 year extension.  After the 2019 season if he continues to keep playing the way he has been, then I agree he'll be on the hot seat.  But as of now, it's his job for the next 2 years barring a major injury...

I'd still include him on the list if only because he has no dead money on his deal next year. His contract is actually extremely reasonable next year, but with no dead money, if you want to make a move, there's no better time. I could see them dump Dalton for a Teddy B experiment for example, especially if you can get the latter on a fairly cheap one or two year deal. 

4 hours ago, BAConrad said:

The bolded.... ?...come on man you dont really believe that do you?

You think that given his draft position and the reps hes gotten etc, he has "progressed nicely"? Is your bar for QBs just like way down past the ankles or what? Cause when I watch tape of him from 2015, and compare it to his most recent snaps, they might as well be the exact same tapes on there dude. He STILL struggles with accuracy, making the boneheaded mistakes on (and off) the field, his ball placement and timing of his wrs routes, his ability (or lackthereof) to read a defense before the snap and react and adjust accordingly, hitting those tight windows.....

I mean look at this recent, just, surge of young QBs making huge leaps unexpectedly whether its Wentz and Goff going from either promising or not to legitimate studs in one year. Watson right away looked better his first 7 games than Jameis has at any point ever in his life. Same with Jimmy G...

None of those guys are year 4 into their careers, showing little to no signs of significant growth at all. Winston is though. 

I hate saying it too because I grew up in SW FL and rooted for the Bucs since the days of Joey Jerevicious so i empathise. Tampa has had such abysmal QBs drag their way through town the last 15 or 20 years, and so fans will try to milk any sliver of hope they can when ever they can. Which is why Jameis has been able to somewhat basically just lull by and never play bad enough to cause riots but also never good enough to warrant any hype from anyone not living in the Tampa St Pete area.....

Sorry brotha. It sucks. Jameis is that tease we all have run into once or twice (or thrice) in our adult lives...

Well of course I believe it. In the 80 year history of the nfl no Qb has thrown more touchdowns and yards through age 24 than Winston. I’d say that’s progressing  nicely 

Again, you’re entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.  First you went from “Winston hasn’t gotten better”. The facts showed you were wrong now it’s “well significant growth”. Define significant growth. His passer rating jumped from 84 to 92 in his 3rd season. His completion percentage went from 58 his rookie year to 63 his third season. He set a career low in interception percentage last year

7 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Qbs get replaced when they suck or the team has a clear option for a noticeable upgrade. Not because they didn’t “win” enough. Especially a 24 year old QB

QBs also get replaced when new Regimes come in, which seems like an inevitability if the Bucs don't win. Sure Jameis has looked like a solid starter, but that's it.

No GM is tied to a QB unless that QB is a franchise legend or so good that it'd be stupid to move on/is really young. Unless Jameis has a massive 4th year leap with a Bucs roster that's about as talented as last years.

6 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Marvin Lewis isn't the problem. This tendency to blame coaches every time QBs like Dalton fail is ridiculous. The NFL has this obsession with guys like Tannehill, Dalton, Bortles, etc. The coach is always to blame.

Listen, Dalton has had trouble dealing with pressure since college. So it's no surprise he has limitations in the NFL. The solution is to get a different QB, not waste 7 years trying to fix Andy Dalton and firing the coach when he fails.

The Bengals could have traded for Bridgewater or another high end backup. Dalton may have a good season this year but that will be scheme dependent. He's not an irreplaceable piece at the QB position. I wouldn't have waited like Marvin has for Dalton to turn it around. There are QBs that can play well with AJ Green; they just need the reps.

5 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I've never seen a thread more tailored for the answer to be unequivocally "Joe Flacco and it's not even close".

The answer is Joe but Jamie's is going to give him a run for his money if he scews up 1 more time by next year's draft.

20 minutes ago, celestial said:

Marvin Lewis isn't the problem. This tendency to blame coaches every time QBs like Dalton fail is ridiculous. The NFL has this obsession with guys like Tannehill, Dalton, Bortles, etc. The coach is always to blame.

Listen, Dalton has had trouble dealing with pressure since college. So it's no surprise he has limitations in the NFL. The solution is to get a different QB, not waste 7 years trying to fix Andy Dalton and firing the coach when he fails.

The Bengals could have traded for Bridgewater or another high end backup. Dalton may have a good season this year but that will be scheme dependent. He's not an irreplaceable piece at the QB position. I wouldn't have waited like Marvin has for Dalton to turn it around. There are QBs that can play well with AJ Green; they just need the reps.

Not sure what you're arguing here.  No one is blaming Marvin for Dalton's flaws.  What I'm blaming Marvin for is not bringing in competition for the starting QB job.  Right now the Bengals have Matt Barkley and Jeff Driskel as the backups, with Barkley most likely getting cut shortly.  People saying Dalton is on the hot seat, do they think Driskel is a starting QB?

Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown love Andy Dalton.  Also the team is talented enough at the skill position players and defense to have at least another mediocre season, that will keep Dalton safe into 2019...

4 hours ago, Forge said:

I'd still include him on the list if only because he has no dead money on his deal next year. His contract is actually extremely reasonable next year, but with no dead money, if you want to make a move, there's no better time. I could see them dump Dalton for a Teddy B experiment for example, especially if you can get the latter on a fairly cheap one or two year deal. 

Very logical thinking, but you're dealing with Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis.  Yes, they could have brought in Teddy B to challenge Dalton, but instead they bring in Matt Barkley whose about to get cut.  None of you guys need to convince me that Dalton should be on the hot seat, I'm just saying he's not currently and his position is safe until the 2020 offseason at least...

18 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Very logical thinking, but you're dealing with Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis.  Yes, they could have brought in Teddy B to challenge Dalton, but instead they bring in Matt Barkley whose about to get cut.  None of you guys need to convince me that Dalton should be on the hot seat, I'm just saying he's not currently and his position is safe until the 2020 offseason at least...

Especially since next drafts QB class is less than inspiring 

40 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Especially since next drafts QB class is less than inspiring 

The other thing people need to take into account is that Marvin Lewis signed a 2 year extension.  You guys think Marvin is going to roll with a rookie or FA QB in the last year of his contract (Barring injury to Dalton)?

On 8/29/2018 at 7:22 PM, frenchie said:

Tannehill -  In a similar category as Dalton, Tannehill is not a top 10 QB, but he has been quite solid for most of his career.  He showed steady improvement from year 1 to year 4.  Had a bit of a hiccup in 2016 where he did complete 67% of his passes, but only managed 19 TDs and 2995 yards.  Then missed all of 2017 with an injury.  In 5 seasons, Tannehill has thrown 106 TDs and has a career completion rate of 63%, behind one of the worst offensive lines in football.

His TD % was the highest in his career in 2016, 4.9%. Went along with career highs in completion %, QB rating, YPA. Led the NFL in redzone QB rating.

He missed the last few games of 2016 with the same injury that kept him out in 2017.

The answer is Tannehill. If he doesn't play well or gets hurt again... shoot, if they have a mediocre or bad record, Miami is getting a QB next year. Miami is probably getting a QB anyways, but that person would be seen as the franchise guy rather than somebody just being Tanny's back-up for competition. You can't sell the fans on Tannehill anymore. 

Archived