Which quarterback has the hottest seat in 2018?

Soko

Which quarterbacks can’t afford to have bad seasons in 2018 & could potentially lose their gig? For discussion’s sake, let’s forego bridge QBs (like McCarron, Taylor, McCown, etc.) and rookies. 

Joe Flacco (the most obvious)? Andy Dalton? Eli? Tannehill? Kirk? 

Hottest seat, debatably, is Winston IMO. Tampa has been a dark horse for a couple seasons now, and are talented on the offensive side of the ball. Combine his tangible gunslinging with his intangible...”leadership”, I think Tampa would look to move away from Winston if he stinks this year.

Flacco would have to win another Superbowl to be with the Ravens next year in my opinion. The only reason he got the contract he did was because of his one Super Bowl run... And the Ravens have been regretting it ever since.

I'd say Andy Dalton is on the hot seat... And maybe he is... But considering they keep holding on to their mediocre coach year after year... Maybe he is safer than he should be.

I think all ofthose listed are squarely on the hot seat. 

Hottest? Probably Tannehill. 

Flacco and Eli have rings and we've seen them play well in the past. While their seats are decidedly hot, Flacco has the possibility of bouncing back and neither backup seems to be putting gameday pressure on just yet. Eli has a warmer seat, but we know he's nearing the end. I'll be suprised if he is still starting by week 12 without being squarely in the playoff hunt and playing well. 

Dalton has played well enough too. Certainly not excellent, but good enough for the most part. I think he's safe all season, absent a total Jake Delhomme style meltdown. But I think the Bengals begin looking towards a future without him by next year. 

Tannehill has yet to really stand out (or stand up). Of the QBs listed, I'm most perplexed that he still has his starting spot. No ring, no history of solid to really good play to loom back to in hopes of him "turning around". Heck, we're kind of still waiting on him to show what he can do. That puts him on the hottest seat, imo.

30 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Flacco and Eli have rings and we've seen them play well in the past. While their seats are decidedly hot, Flacco has the possibility of bouncing back and neither backup seems to be putting gameday pressure on just yet. Eli has a warmer seat, but we know he's nearing the end. I'll be suprised if he is still starting by week 12 without being squarely in the playoff hunt and playing well. 

Dalton has played well enough too. Certainly not excellent, but good enough for the most part. I think he's safe all season, absent a total Jake Delhomme style meltdown. But I think the Bengals begin looking towards a future without him by next year. 

Tannehill has yet to really stand out (or stand up). Of the QBs listed, I'm most perplexed that he still has his starting spot. No ring, no history of solid to really good play to loom back to in hopes of him "turning around". Heck, we're kind of still waiting on him to show what he can do. That puts him on the hottest seat, imo.

Flacco's backups are far more capable than anyone behind Tannehill. The only way Tannehill gets benched is if the Dolphins season goes SUPER south and they plan on scrapping both Tannehill and Gase come seasons end.

41 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Highest QB rating in the redzone in 2016 (his last season), statistically virtually identical to both Luck & Carr (despite taking more sacks/hits over the same span), went 7-1 over his last 8 games with Gase as his HC.

stay sleep, can't wait for this season

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

The last time Tannehill played (2016) he was 12th in TD% with 4.9 compared to Daltons 3.2. He was 12th in QB rating with 93.5 compared to Daltons 91.8, he was 7th in y/a with 7.7 compared to Daltons 7.5 y/a, and 6th in comp% with 67.1 compared to Daltons 64.7, and lastly had 1 more TD than Dalton despite only playing 13 games.

So exactly how has Dalton played well enough to start but Tannehill has not? I'm certainly not saying Tannehill is a great QB but I would have no problem putting him in the same tier as Andy Dalton. Tannehill was top 12 in most major passing categories, I would say he's played well enough too.

6 hours ago, KellChippy said:

I think if Ei regressed even more and holds back the offense, this will be his last season. 

You would think that, but the reaction to him getting benched in New York is was so insane that I have no doubt that if he cries about it again they'll find a new scapegoat to ignore how bad Eli's been

Eli Manning because he's on his last legs as a 37 year old.

Joe Flacco has his replacement on the bench, but the ravens are paying him too much to not let him have this season to reestablish himself for a potential trade.

Andy Dalton because the Bengals haven't done Jack in the playoffs and something has gotta give at some point.

Ryan Tannehill because he's coming off two brutal injuries back to back and Gase is on the hot seat, his backups are trash though but he needs to play well this year. 

Jameis could lose his Job to the Fitz curse because we've seen that happen like 5 times at this point.

Tyrod is clearly a stopgap but if he plays well he can set himself up for his next spot.

Sam Bradford's seat isn't hot so much as it is 1 kick from falling over.

Josh McCown if he's the starter for some reason.

I think the most obvious choice here is Joe Flacco since the Ravens just spent a 1st Round pick on his eventual replacement (and his contract is almost up).  The problem for the Ravens is that Lamar Jackson is not an NFL QB in my opinion, and I've thought his skills would't translate at the pro-level for a couple of years now.  Regardless of my opinion on Jackson (which I admit could be totally wrong), if Flacco absolutely tanks it this year he will be outta there.  The Ravens are clearly tired of his inconsistency and poor play and if they knew how he was going to perform after signing his big post-SB deal they never would've given him that money in the first place.  Its funny though because I really believe the drafting of Jackson was the best thing for Flacco because he now faces a legitimate threat to his job, and the last time his job was threatened he went on to have one of the most remarkable playoff runs in NFL history culminating in a championship.  I think the Ravens could actually be a legit threat to Pittsburgh this year.

I think Jameis Winston's act is really starting to wear thin in Tampa as well.  He just doesn't seem to get it on the field, which is a problem because he's got enough experience under his belt at this point to be showing some significant improvement by now (especially in his decision making) but it just hasn't materialized.  I think Tampa would be a great landing spot for Teddy Bridgewater and serious competition for his job might be the one thing that could motivate Winston to actually try to improve.

Miami would be another team that is probably looking to move on from their formerly-considered franchise QB.  Tannehill has been a huge disappointment for them ever since he was drafted and the constant refrain in south beach has been "Next year he'll be great" but its just never happened.  He did have a nice season a couple years ago but then tore his ACL, didn't get it fixed, and had to miss the entire next year as a result.  They'll likely draft a QB next year (and Miami would be another potential suitor for Bridgewater).

Other guys who might be on a "warm" seat this year are Blake Bortles (the Jags just gave him an extension but if he is the reason they miss the playoffs this year he'll be gone), Marcus Mariota (Tennesse is still all-in on Mariota but he has been largely disappointing considering his stock coming into the league), Case Keenum (can he play as well as he did last year in Minnesota?), Sam Bradford (Rosen in the future but Bradford will start if he can stay healthy and plays well), and Andy Dalton (who is the definition of mediocre yet shows just enough flashes every year to make people believe he is actually good).  

4 hours ago, megatechpc said:

I think Jameis Winston's act is really starting to wear thin in Tampa as well.  He just doesn't seem to get it on the field, which is a problem because he's got enough experience under his belt at this point to be showing some significant improvement by now (especially in his decision making) but it just hasn't materialized.  I think Tampa would be a great landing spot for Teddy Bridgewater and serious competition for his job might be the one thing that could motivate Winston to actually try to improve.

Winston has improved every season though, including in his decision making. His development hasn’t been as quick as you’d hope and he’ll still make a ridiculous decision every so often, but those are becoming fewer and fewer. 

Once his shoulder was healed last season, he looked much, much better as he was able to throw with greater velocity and fit passes through tight windows. While he was injured, he was still trying to make all the throws, but he couldn’t get the velocity he needed. 

This preseason, he’s been getting rid of the  ball more quickly, progressing to his check downs more quickly and making positive decisions when no one is open. The play v the Titans looks like another example of Winston trying to play hero ball, but he claims he saw the flag (which would make sense considering he was looking at the receiver who got held and the flag was thrown into his field of vision).

The only thing that will prompt the Bucs to move on will be off the field issues. He seems to have taken more of a backseat since his suspension and is leading in a different way. If he genuinely does get it now, I think we’ll see a big improvement from him overall. If he still doesn’t, his days are numbered. 

On 8/25/2018 at 1:49 AM, megatechpc said:

I think the most obvious choice here is Joe Flacco since the Ravens just spent a 1st Round pick on his eventual replacement (and his contract is almost up).  The problem for the Ravens is that Lamar Jackson is not an NFL QB in my opinion, and I've thought his skills would't translate at the pro-level for a couple of years now.  Regardless of my opinion on Jackson (which I admit could be totally wrong), if Flacco absolutely tanks it this year he will be outta there.  The Ravens are clearly tired of his inconsistency and poor play and if they knew how he was going to perform after signing his big post-SB deal they never would've given him that money in the first place.  Its funny though because I really believe the drafting of Jackson was the best thing for Flacco because he now faces a legitimate threat to his job, and the last time his job was threatened he went on to have one of the most remarkable playoff runs in NFL history culminating in a championship.  I think the Ravens could actually be a legit threat to Pittsburgh this year.

Miami would be another team that is probably looking to move on from their formerly-considered franchise QB.  Tannehill has been a huge disappointment for them ever since he was drafted and the constant refrain in south beach has been "Next year he'll be great" but its just never happened.  He did have a nice season a couple years ago but then tore his ACL, didn't get it fixed, and had to miss the entire next year as a result.  They'll likely draft a QB next year (and Miami would be another potential suitor for Bridgewater).

Other guys who might be on a "warm" seat this year are Blake Bortles (the Jags just gave him an extension but if he is the reason they miss the playoffs this year he'll be gone), Marcus Mariota (Tennesse is still all-in on Mariota but he has been largely disappointing considering his stock coming into the league), Case Keenum (can he play as well as he did last year in Minnesota?), Sam Bradford (Rosen in the future but Bradford will start if he can stay healthy and plays well), and Andy Dalton (who is the definition of mediocre yet shows just enough flashes every year to make people believe he is actually good).  

Jameis Winston passer rating and completion percentage has improved every year he’s been in the league. He also set career bests last season in yards per attempt and interception percentage.  Led the nfl in percentage of throws that went for first downs 

The team around him collapsed last year being at bottom of the league in rushing support and overal defense so the perception was that he regressed as well or hasn’t gotten better but that’s just not accurate 

Archived