The Elephant In the Room: Austin Corbett is Not an Impact OT/OG He's an OC

Mind Character

Austin Corbett's pro-skill set if he ever hopes to have starter impact is that of a Center prospect.

Period.

Given his college tape and the numerous near full game snaps he's put on film in the preseason, the sooner we accept the reality of his skill set the better off our team, OL, and Austin will be.

------------------

A Few Corbett Related Truths We Need to Accept

Truth #1: Austin Corbett was never a pro-Tackle prospect if you ever watched his college film. Not even close

Truth #2: He was also never a LG prospect if you ever watched his tape. Austin Corbett has slow feet and lacks the foot quickness, flexible hips, and spatial awareness to be an elite move Left Guard based on his college film. He can play the run drive RG position, but that may not be the position where his skill sets fits bets.

Truth #3: Austin Corbett projects best to the phone booth position of Center where his nastiness, aggressive hand-fighting and lack of athleticism and ability to sustain blocks gets covered up. His inability to deep anchor will need to be improved drastically along with his hip flexibility

Truth #4: We need to move Bitonio back to LG, move Austin to backup Center with OG swing versatility and reps, and elevate Desmond Harrison to LT.

Right Now, our best starting 5 Olineman are:

LT Desmond Harrison (despite getting destroyed on Baker's INT);

LG Joel Bitonio;

C J.C. Tretter;

RG Kevin Zeitler;

RT Chris Hubbard

----------------------

Truth #6: If we wanted a versatile Center prospect that could be elite at LG, we should've taken James Daniels, Iowa OC/OG who went a few picks later to the Bears.

Truth #7: We should've taken WR Courtland Sutton instead of Corbett

-------------------

Maybe I’m in the minority but I agree. Right now he’s the best option we have so we can’t move him. But next year we need to get a LT prospect so we can move Bitonio back to LG and Corbett to C. I’ve always thought the smartest move would to make him a full time center and to train the entire year with Baker. then next year get rid of Tretter to free up cap and him and Baker will already have the Chemistry. 

DraftPick/Bitonio/Corbett/Zeitler/Hubbard 

honestly i would have taken Will Hernendez for LG or Josh Jackson CB

@pnies20 ; @Bonanza23 and @Thomas5737   Yeah, you guys definitely hit it right on the nose (that's soooooooo me), but You never know... maybe just maybe I start threads like this with such polarized views in part to start a good football discussion or maybe even I'm hoping someone will present some analysis/evidence to sway my opinion... analysis of evidence that's based in the evaluation of football play traits and film... and maybe I'm a little disappointed every time no one on my favorite Browns discussion forum is wiling to really offer any counterarguments based on football play analysis beyond a "you're wrong," "delete this thread," "you're wrong he's doing amazing."... Good Times... What a Time to Be Alive....

----------------------

3 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Truth: Corbett is just fine,as a matter of fact, a lot of the big runs we've had were off of #63 pulls. I think people are overly critical of the guy IYAM

My opinion on him has been consistent, and I am really disappointed that his play is confirming my original thoughts on him... it would be awesome if he was showing out.  I watched 7 of his games in college before the draft when a lot of people hadn't even heard of him. I posted that he was a Center with Guard versatility then. Not a tackle.

Most people on here thought it made sense to try him at tackle. Joe Thomas said it's ridiculous as did most people that watched him.

I've watched all of his snaps all22 view in the preseason... he's slow footed... misses tons of pull and stretch blocks... is easily fooled by DT games and lacks spatial awareness.

His skill set is best in the phone booth combat mode of a Center.... the good thing is he has a defined and valuable football skill set.

Alonzo Highsmith believes he's a Center... not a Tackle or a Guard.

I do as well.

I have no idea what you guys are watching that says he's fine at guard or will be fine at guard.

He got beat over and over and over again against Philly. Missed a lot of assignments.

He had a 2 second level solid blocks and a pull opener for a long run this preseason.

Everything else has been hard to watch.

And I put that on the tape.

7 hours ago, Mind Character said:

@pnies20 ; @Bonanza23 and @Thomas5737   Yeah, you guys definitely hit it right on the nose (that's soooooooo me), but You never know... maybe just maybe I start threads like this with such polarized views in part to start a good football discussion or maybe even I'm hoping someone will present some analysis/evidence to sway my opinion... analysis of evidence that's based in the evaluation of football play traits and film... and maybe I'm a little disappointed every time no one on my favorite Browns discussion forum is wiling to really offer any counterarguments based on football play analysis beyond a "you're wrong," "delete this thread," "you're wrong he's doing amazing."... Good Times... What a Time to Be Alive....

----------------------

My opinion on him has been consistent, and I am really disappointed that his play is confirming my original thoughts on him... it would be awesome if he was showing out.  I watched 7 of his games in college before the draft when a lot of people hadn't even heard of him. I posted that he was a Center with Guard versatility then. Not a tackle.

Most people on here thought it made sense to try him at tackle. Joe Thomas said it's ridiculous as did most people that watched him.

I've watched all of his snaps all22 view in the preseason... he's slow footed... misses tons of pull and stretch blocks... is easily fooled by DT games and lacks spatial awareness.

His skill set is best in the phone booth combat mode of a Center.... the good thing is he has a defined and valuable football skill set.

Alonzo Highsmith believes he's a Center... not a Tackle or a Guard.

I do as well.

I have no idea what you guys are watching that says he's fine at guard or will be fine at guard.

He got beat over and over and over again against Philly. Missed a lot of assignments.

He had a 2 second level solid blocks and a pull opener for a long run this preseason.

Everything else has been hard to watch.

And I put that on the tape.

I respect your opinion hoss

He has done a lot of things very ABOVE average already. He shows quick movements and the ability to get upfield and block when pulling.  He's been pretty good in pass protection. His area of concern is "in a phone booth" as they say. He needs to develop strength and put on about 10-15 lbs. 

hes is gonna be a solid G. 

Even if if he doesn't pan out for some reason, it's WAY too early to be saying it.

13 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Right Now, our best starting 5 Olineman are:

LT Desmond Harrison (despite getting destroyed on Baker's INT);

LG Joel Bitonio;

C J.C. Tretter;

RG Kevin Zeitler;

RT Chris Hubbard

The one thing I'll say Mind, though I respect the hell out of the amount of game-tape you watch and your opinions on a lot of players, you do have the tendency to value some late round draft picks and prospects much higher than most teams do.  If I'm being honest, they tend to be good players, like Nacua, I loved him as a backup FS, and as an undrafted free agent, I thought it was a good move, the team didn't seem to agree however.  Maybe your right, I am aware that one of the key elements to the NFL is if they are drafted, particularly high, by an NFL team, they get more of a chance and more playing time.  I'm not trying to bring up any sore subject on Kia Nacua, but hes not going to end up making the Ravens, that is just one example I can think of.  In this particular case, though I am excited to see if someday Desmond Harrison can show something at LT, you think he is our best starting left tackle right now?  If that's the case we are in much more trouble than I thought.  I think Joel Bitonio has played admirably for being thrown out there this offseason, and I really hope he ends up being the answer, because LG's are much easier to find the LT's.  I hope in 2-3 years Harrison can compete for the spot, but he just hasn't shown the consistent domination against the best talent to trust him with our blind spot roll as of yet.  All this being said I would love to be wrong and him end up taking over and dominating....I just don't see it....

I think long-term, he does seem to be out next guy at center. I’m not in love with Tretter. Currently though I don’t think he’s ready to bear that burden and think he has the traits to be at least a decent OG. If they can stomach the paycheck, I’d keep Tretter next year as an interior swing guy if they think Corbett is their center. That involves being comfortable with Harrison or whomever at LT. I think most can agree Bitonio should go back to LG long-term. I’m not sure Harrison is 100% ready to start at LT though. That position is the priority, which is why Bitonio moved. He’s raw. Good development already and the potential is there but lots to learn yet before he should be inked in against seasoned NFL RDEs.

Archived