What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

13 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Solid transition.

So my son has been in school 6 days, we already had an issue with a 4th grader trying to bully him (he's in 2nd). Now he is in deep crap. Kid shoved him from behind while he was about to go up the stairs from breakfast again, third time this little POS has shoved him from behind. My son hit the ground and the kid started up the stairs.

My son runs up the stairs and pulls the kid from behind, making him fall down almost the whole flight. Now they are finally taking the issue seriously and the kid is getting `1 day in school suspension, my son is getting 3.

Nice start to a new school, right?

And school wonder why there are bully problems. I would have told my kid i front of the principal that if that bully even took a look at him to beat the bully to a pulp. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrDrew said:

I did Door Dash for a few weeks. Couldn't make more than $7/hr before paying for gas. 

My wife does Instacart. She usually makes between $15 and $40 per delivery. It's a lot more time consuming than just picking up food, but you get paid per item. She's had a couple days where she's made over $70 for 4 hours, and some days where she only gets one for $20ish. People seem to tip less often, and not much when they do, but you make up for it with the item counts. 

GrubHub seems the way to go. You can get hourly wage, plus paid for each delivery, and tips if you hit requirements. 

Damn man really appreciate the info! 

I'm trying to pick a "favorite" thing about the boomers.

Was it that they bankrupted America...?

Is it that they utter statements about young people like "I'm not out of touch with kids, THEY'RE out of touch!!!!!!!" (My favorite that I've heard this week)

Was it that they can't stack up to the Greatest Generation but think that they're on equal footing...?

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Is it that they utter statements about young people like "I'm not out of touch with kids, THEY'RE out of touch!!!!!!!" (My favorite that I've heard this week)

Was it that they can't stack up to the Greatest Generation but think that they're on equal footing...?

Probably that they led our country into being *the* powerhouse. But I am not a boomer, so I could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think it's the expectation that millenials should be able to pay off student loans solely from working a part time job while in school or that they expect to collect social security despite their generation being the one that "borrowed" from it.

Just now, skywlker32 said:

I think it's the expectation that millenials should be able to pay off student loans solely from working a part time job while in school

I believe that Millenials are just as much to blame for this. Understand what a student loan is and that you aren't "owed" a college education, especially a private one. Try taking out loans proportionate to the income that you'll make.

On the flip side, the college cost/income ratio was THREE TIMES better than it is now, which is an indictment of college education costs. It's egregious.

or that they expect to collect social security despite their generation being the one that "borrowed" from it.

Oh yes! How could I forget that!!!!! Don't forget about public pensions as well.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I believe that Millenials are just as much to blame for this. Understand what a student loan is and that you aren't "owed" a college education, especially a private one. Try taking out loans proportionate to the income that you'll make.

On the flip side, the college cost/income ratio was THREE TIMES better than it is now, which is an indictment of college education costs. It's egregious.

I don't know about just as much to blame. While millenials could have not gone to college, many boomers were the ones stressing that you NEED a college education to be successful (no high school or parent that I have heard of would listen to a student say they don't want to go to college without lecturing them). Then there is the tuition increase that you speak of that occurred under leadership of baby boomers.

I don't know about just as much to blame.

They are. They should have/we should have read the fine print on the loans/payment plans. Taking out over $100K in debt for jobs with menial salaries is foolish, and as adults, we/they are responsible to know these things. This is coming from someone who graduated college in the recession (I graduated in 2009).

While millenials could have not gone to college, many boomers were the ones stressing that you NEED a college education to be successful (no high school or parent that I have heard of would listen to a student say they don't want to go to college without lecturing them).

Funny thing about adulthood: You/I have a choice. 

Then there is the tuition increase that you speak of that occurred under leadership of baby boomers.

That is exactly true as well.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

They are. They should have/we should have read the fine print on the loans/payment plans. Taking out over $100K in debt for jobs with menial salaries is foolish, and as adults, we/they are responsible to know these things. This is coming from someone who graduated college in the recession (I graduated in 2009).

You're not wrong, but there are shades of grey.

I think part of the reason boomers criticize millenials in general is because they're deflecting from their failure as parents. A fiscally responsible parent would have recognized the challenges of saving for college and prioritized accordingly. A decent parent would have provided guidance so that their kids could understand the ridiculous student loan balance they were signing up for. The student loan explosion is a product of a lot of things, so it's not just bad parenting, but that's a big part of it. And when you're 55, at the end of your career, and you see your kids in their 20's or 30's unable to buy a home or have kids or get their life started because of student loan repayments, you can either look yourself in the eye and wonder how you screwed up, or you can blame it on avocados. 

• Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You're not wrong, but there are shades of grey.

I think part of the reason boomers criticize millenials in general is because they're deflecting from their failure as parents. A fiscally responsible parent would have recognized the challenges of saving for college and prioritized accordingly. A decent parent would have provided guidance so that their kids could understand the ridiculous student loan balance they were signing up for. The student loan explosion is a product of a lot of things, so it's not just bad parenting, but that's a big part of it. And when you're 55, at the end of your career, and you see your kids in their 20's or 30's unable to buy a home or have kids or get their life started because of student loan repayments, you can either look yourself in the eye and wonder how you screwed up, or you can blame it on avocados. 

I think that boomers allowing their kids to live in their basements is their way of acknowledging their own failure(s) personally, but I suppose that's another conversation for another day. Regardless, my wife and I spent some time talking the other day about how we are going to be raising our 3 children to understand basics when it comes to money, education (and how they're tied together), mortgages, and interest rates. One of my wife's friends took out a $25,000 personal loan while in college, her and her husband then racked up about $200K in college loan debt, and unsurprisingly declared bankruptcy 2-3 years after college (still have to pay back student loans). All this...where were the parents? Where was the guidance? But at the same point, how you get a flier in your mailbox, fill it out, and get CASH that you blow through...that's beyond me, with or without parental guidance.

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think that boomers allowing their kids to live in their basements is their way of acknowledging their own failure(s) personally, but I suppose that's another conversation for another day. Regardless, my wife and I spent some time talking the other day about how we are going to be raising our 3 children to understand basics when it comes to money, education (and how they're tied together), mortgages, and interest rates. One of my wife's friends took out a $25,000 personal loan while in college, her and her husband then racked up about $200K in college loan debt, and unsurprisingly declared bankruptcy 2-3 years after college (still have to pay back student loans). All this...where were the parents? Where was the guidance? But at the same point, how you get a flier in your mailbox, fill it out, and get CASH that you blow through...that's beyond me, with or without parental guidance.

I mean, that's the point though. Saying "this kid screwed up, it's their own fault" isn't wrong - they signed, but it completely ignores the support system that should be addressing this before it gets started. And because that support system didn't just fail once, but failed at a constant, epidemic type level, it's not unfair for people to blame boomers for some of the student loan crisis we have.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I mean, that's the point though. Saying "this kid screwed up, it's their own fault" isn't wrong - they signed, but it completely ignores the support system that should be addressing this before it gets started. And because that support system didn't just fail once, but failed at a constant, epidemic type level, it's not unfair for people to blame boomers for some of the student loan crisis we have.

Right, that's the point that I'm trying to make (and not doing a very good job of apparently). There's plenty of blame to go around with both parties. Millenials who blame solely the boomers for this are wrong, and boomers who blame Millenials failed their children, period.

• Like 2