What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

3 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Wow USC is full of rich kids who bought their way in? 

What are people going to be outraged over next?  “BREAKING: Tooth Fairy not real; several rich and famous people lied to their kids”

TBH Yale was the only one that surprised me.

10 hours ago, mission27 said:

What are people going to be outraged over next?  “BREAKING: Tooth Fairy not real; several rich and famous people lied to their kids”

THIS JUST IN - Santa proven to be fake. Rich kids outraged, as questions arise over placement on the Naughty or Nice list.

Full story, plus "Is Siri slowly taking away your independence? Our experts give you the shocking stats" tonight at 11.

11 hours ago, mission27 said:

I’m just glad we’ve got law enforcement officials dedicated to ending such illicit activities.

The idea of my kids, or my grandkids someday, being able to grow up in a world where trust fund kids can’t cheat on tests to get into colleges so they can get their liberal arts degree warms my heart.

Hopefully in the future they’ll have to do things the right way and have their parents make a sizable donation to the school.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m just glad we’ve got law enforcement officials dedicated to ending such illicit activities.

I'm thrilled that the FBI has had some high profile white collar crime investigations going on. In an era where everything is done electronically, punishing people for dodging their taxes is easy and comes with a huge payback in seizures. We should have more stuff like this tbh.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Hopefully in the future they’ll have to do things the right way and have their parents make a sizable donation to the school.

I mean, that's uniroincally the entire point. When you donate to a school there are tons of restrictions on what it can be used for and what it can't, and the admissions process isn't fair from the point of the student body applying, but is fair fair from the point of the school/taxpayer. 

In this case, they had coaches getting bribed to pretend that the kids were athletes or test administrators getting bribed to fake their SAT/ACT scores, so the money doesn't go to actually help the school at all. They also were paying for this through a fake charity and laundering the money, so that's evasion of taxes on the scheme organizers, proctors, and the coaches. 

We all pay taxes to have schools that educate the best students, and if there's one occasional moron that gets in because now we don't have to pony up for a new BioChem building, that's a worthwhile trade off from a taxpayer/school perspective, even if it isn't fair from a student body perspective. But the return on our investment is based on the caliber of student that gets in, so we got screwed because some crew coach took a $500k bribe to pretend that Aunt Becky's kid rowed.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm thrilled that the FBI has had some high profile white collar crime investigations going on. In an era where everything is done electronically, punishing people for dodging their taxes is easy and comes with a huge payback in seizures. We should have more stuff like this tbh.

I mean, that's uniroincally the entire point. When you donate to a school there are tons of restrictions on what it can be used for and what it can't, and the admissions process isn't fair from the point of the student body applying, but is fair fair from the point of the school/taxpayer. 

In this case, they had coaches getting bribed to pretend that the kids were athletes or test administrators getting bribed to fake their SAT/ACT scores, so the money doesn't go to actually help the school at all. They also were paying for this through a fake charity and laundering the money, so that's evasion of taxes on the scheme organizers, proctors, and the coaches. 

We all pay taxes to have schools that educate the best students, and if there's one occasional moron that gets in because now we don't have to pony up for a new BioChem building, that's a worthwhile trade off from a taxpayer/school perspective, even if it isn't fair from a student body perspective. But the return on our investment is based on the caliber of student that gets in, so we got screwed because some crew coach took a $500k bribe to pretend that Aunt Becky's kid rowed.

You’re very likely 100% correct, but I couldn’t care less about Aunt Becky’s kid’s admission to college if my life depended on it.

We as a society will dump hundreds of thousands if not millions into seeing this through, and for what?  This facade that “we’re gonna make sure everyone is playing by the rules” is tedious.  

This will cost a ton and change nothing big picture imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You’re very likely 100% correct, but I couldn’t care less about Aunt Becky’s kid’s admission to college if my life depended on it.

We as a society will dump hundreds of thousands if not millions into seeing this through, and for what?  This facade that “we’re gonna make sure everyone is playing by the rules” is tedious.  

This will cost a ton and change nothing big picture imo.

Well, for one, we just seized more than $5MM from the orchestrator's charity and that's far from the last big payout we're going to get on this case. So the government is making money (well, not really, but they're recovering more of the money that was stolen from them than they're spending to investigate and find the money, so it's still a net positive).

It's a tax evasion and bribery case. Neither of those are or should be a facade under any circumstances.

I've officially come to the point in my teaching career where my pop culture and relevancy analogies are falling completely flat.

My current status, now confirmed:

giphy.gif

They haven't seen the Sandlot, the Mighty Ducks, don't listen to any music made before 2000 (I blame parents), and most of them think of Alan Rickman as Snape instead of Hans Gruber (forgivable as that's somewhat legit).

One of my players yesterday told me that Benchwarmers was the funniest baseball movie he'd ever seen...after I rattled off Major League, Bull Durham, The Sandlot, and about 2-3 others, he looked at me with a blank face. 

• Like 2

I've had in unit washer and dryer for 5 years and I'm thinking about buying and looking at condos now and a lot don't have it. What's the minimum unit per W/D that's acceptable? Looking like 6-8 is average but that seems too high for me. 

2 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

I've had in unit washer and dryer for 5 years and I'm thinking about buying and looking at condos now and a lot don't have it. What's the minimum unit per W/D that's acceptable? Looking like 6-8 is average but that seems too high for me. 

in-unit laundry is a 100% deal-breaker for me. 

I can't imagine a condo that is for sale wouldn't have hook ups. That is crazy to me.

11 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The idea of my kids, or my grandkids someday, being able to grow up in a world where trust fund kids can’t cheat on tests to get into colleges so they can get their liberal arts degree warms my heart.

But what is our country going to stand for if we start targeting upstanding 1%ers?

This is BS.  If you pay more than $100k a year in taxes and haven’t robbed, raped, or killed anyone the government is supposed to leave you alone...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Dude we’re talking about USC.  We aren’t diverting tax payer dollars from Sesame Street to fund the Trojans.  It’s Rich and Privileged U.

If Aunt Becky was bribing a state official to get into a public school I’d have more sympathy for the feds but as it stands this sounds like BS to me.

This is not something the FBI should be worried about.  They should focus on jihadists, cartels, and mob bosses getting shot in the middle of ******* New York City.  Of course “getting” high profile rich (taxpayers) is all that gets headlines these days so why the hell not. 

7 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Well, for one, we just seized more than $5MM from the orchestrator's charity and that's far from the last big payout we're going to get on this case. So the government is making money (well, not really, but they're recovering more of the money that was stolen from them than they're spending to investigate and find the money, so it's still a net positive).

It's a tax evasion and bribery case. Neither of those are or should be a facade under any circumstances.

Bribery is the context of a private transaction is not a federal crime.

Tax evasion maybe, if they wrote these payments off as charitable donations.  That’s about the only crime I see here.

Edited by mission27