What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I wanted something under 500 total.  Don’t know if that’s realistic or not and I’m almost certain it’s not realistic for a Mac.

You're not too far off. You can probably find a Mac Mini for around $600 next week. A few places are running deals.

If you go a different route, and she doesn't do much, something like a Chromebox is definitely doable for that price, and will handle everything you said she does. For the monitor, if it's Apple, it's either a Mini DV or Thunderbolt connection. You can get adapters, or new cables, for either to HDMI or DVI.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrDrew said:

You're not too far off. You can probably find a Mac Mini for around $600 next week. A few places are running deals.

If you go a different route, and she doesn't do much, something like a Chromebox is definitely doable for that price, and will handle everything you said she does. For the monitor, if it's Apple, it's either a Mini DV or Thunderbolt connection. You can get adapters, or new cables, for either to HDMI or DVI.

I was going to recommend a chrome book as well.

i bought mine for $149 on clearance and have had it for like 4 years now. Bogs down on some of the resource intensive stuff as expected for an old mobile device but browses most websites with no issues. 

@Outpost31

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

On 20/11/2019 at 10:26 AM, theJ said:

Anyone ever play Command and Conquer: Red Alert?

That game single-handedly screwed up my understanding of WWII starting as a child, continuing until i was probably 20 or so. 

I'm on top of it now (thanks to some good non-fiction and historical fiction books), but if you had asked me in High School who was the Allied enemy in WWII i probably would have replied Soviet Russia.

I feel like this is how WWII is taught in general now, in the western world.  Meanwhile, the Soviets basically won the war by themselves for the majority of the years.  Not by *winning* the war...but by stalling until the US and Commonwealth were actually ready, and prepared to do something meaningful besides playing around in the North African sandbox.  The Soviets legit moved an entire industrial capacity by rail over some mountains and started up again to come back and dominate.  In the middle of a world war on their doorstep.

Multiple stages in the anti-communist telling of the WWII tale.  From Animal Farm to C&C Red Alert.  Nobody likes to talk about the fact they basically fought the entire war for years alone, with support in the form of basic *** planes the US had deemed useless for themselves and wanted to pawn off on somebody.

On 21/11/2019 at 8:08 AM, Dome said:

my wifes car got totalled last night, other driver at fault.

when i totalled my car in 2013 the other driver's (at fault driver)  insurance offered me quite a bit more than what I thought my car was worth. I then talked them up just a little bit more and took the money and ran. 

I get the feeling I won't be that lucky again. any people have any luck when they're dealing with this? Other than new tires we just put on it, what types of things can we talk about to get better compensation? 

I spent literally a year fighting with an insurance company, over a tiny accident where i got rear-ended just to get my car repaired to an almost acceptable standard.  Whatever you did last time...if you got more than you thought your vehicle was worth, i'd do more of that tbh.  Maybe you've got the magic touch.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Nah it wasn't mean. I don't really know you either. I am a vikes fan unfortunately

Eh, some of the coolest people on this site are vike fans. Some of the most obnoxious too, but gotta take the good with the bad, y'know?

So, how was your day? I went furniture shopping today. Been needing new couches for the formal living room and the actual living room, and think we found a few sets we're going to look into - I didn't know Lay-Z-Boy had a full line of stuff until today, it's really good too.

Wow. So, um - completely unrelated - I'm old now. THIS was the highlight of my day. Furniture shopping. Wow. It's literally confirmed now. Hmm.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Eh, some of the coolest people on this site are vike fans. Some of the most obnoxious too, but gotta take the good with the bad, y'know?

So, how was your day? I went furniture shopping today. Been needing new couches for the formal living room and the actual living room, and think we found a few sets we're going to look into - I didn't know Lay-Z-Boy had a full line of stuff until today, it's really good too.

Wow. So, um - completely unrelated - I'm old now. THIS was the highlight of my day. Furniture shopping. Wow. It's literally confirmed now. Hmm.

That had to be better than cleaning the gutters which is what I was doing. Half the crap was frozen