Motor City MoJo: Detroit Lion updates

SteelKing728

19 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Defensive tackle Michael Brockers is officially a free agent.

Word that the Lions would release Brockers came on Thursday night and the team officially announced the move on Friday afternoon.

Brockers came to the Lions in a 2021 trade with the Rams and started 16 games in his first season. He only played six games in 2022, however, and just one after Week Five as the Lions opted to go with other players up front on defense.

The move clears $10 million in cap space for the Lions as they head toward the new league year. It also gives Brockers a jump on finding a new team before all of this year’s free agents hit the open market.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/24/lions-officially-release-michael-brockers/

I'd take a look at him as a rotational 5T on a low/minimum salary. not sure if that's what he's looking for at this point in his career.

With the Rams looking to trade cornerback Jalen Ramsey, the Lions are among the teams that have been mentioned as a possible destination. And Lions cornerback Jerry Jacobs loves that idea. Jacobs wrote on Twitter that the Lions ought to make a move to bring Ramsey to Detroit.

“What we waiting on @jalenramsey we can do some great things in the D, my guy trust and believe that,” Jacobs wrote. “At this point we just gotta recruit Jalen.”

The Lions have enough salary cap space that they could take on Ramsey’s $17 million salary without having to make any other moves, and Jacobs is making clear that Ramsey would be welcomed in the locker room.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/27/lions-cornerback-jerry-jacobs-wants-jalen-ramsey-traded-to-detroit/

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Could the Jared Goff era be over when it really just got started?

I don't think that he's going to get anyone to negotiate with him while he's representing himself. Especially if he's not willing to come off his fully-guaranteed contract demand.

That said, I'd hate to have to face him twice a year, but I still wouldn't worry about Detroit as a legitimate Super Bowl contender with him running the show. The older he gets, the more time he'll probably miss, and if he ever has a serious leg injurty (RGIII), he's done as a QB.

5 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I don't think that he's going to get anyone to negotiate with him while he's representing himself. Especially if he's not willing to come off his fully-guaranteed contract demand.

That said, I'd hate to have to face him twice a year, but I still wouldn't worry about Detroit as a legitimate Super Bowl contender with him running the show. The older he gets, the more time he'll probably miss, and if he ever has a serious leg injurty (RGIII), he's done as a QB.

Lamar Jackson would basically guarantee that the Lions win the division for a while IMO. I'm fine with Kirk, but if there was an opportunity to move on from him and bring Jackson in, I'd be all over it. The "if he gets injured" argument is not a good one. If any player has a serious leg injury there's a good bet they are not going to be as good moving forward. A 26 year old former MVP is worth the risk in my book.

10 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

The "if he gets injured" argument is not a good one. If any player has a serious leg injury there's a good bet they are not going to be as good moving forward. A 26 year old former MVP is worth the risk in my book.

I don't disagree that Detroit could win the division with Jackson, but I don't think the injury concern can be discounted. ESPECIALLY if he wants a 5 year, fully guaranteed contract. Jackson isn't Mahomes or Burrow or even Josh Allen as a passer. He's only as effective as he has been because of his ability to keep defenses honest with the run. Maybe he develops as a passer, but he hasn't shown the ability to be only a pocket passer at this point. Jackson has missed more games in the last two years than Kirk Cousins has missed in the last 8 seasons. Heck, Jackson missed more games last season than Kirk has in the last 8 seasons.

Would I take a risk on him as opposed to Kirk? Sure. But again, I don't think he turns this team or the Lions into a legit Super Bowl contender. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I don't disagree that Detroit could win the division with Jackson, but I don't think the injury concern can be discounted. ESPECIALLY if he wants a 5 year, fully guaranteed contract. Jackson isn't Mahomes or Burrow or even Josh Allen as a passer. He's only as effective as he has been because of his ability to keep defenses honest with the run. Maybe he develops as a passer, but he hasn't shown the ability to be only a pocket passer at this point. Jackson has missed more games in the last two years than Kirk Cousins has missed in the last 8 seasons. Heck, Jackson missed more games last season than Kirk has in the last 8 seasons.

Would I take a risk on him as opposed to Kirk? Sure. But again, I don't think he turns this team or the Lions into a legit Super Bowl contender. 

I don’t want Lamar Jackson to be a pocket passer though. I want him to use his freakish ability to win games. He’s one of one with his skill set, and it’s not close. 

not that this is even a remote possibility… Sadly I don’t think KO’s offense would be particularly friendly to Jackson.

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Curious to hear you expand on this.

He’s been a regressing player, both in terms of production and durability. To put it in perspective Daniel Jones was more productive this past season than Jackson, and the Giants have largely been panned for signing him. Jackson hasn’t come close to replicating anything close to his MVP season four years ago, despite the Ravens investing in more and more support pieces around him. 

Jackson can be an exciting player to watch but he’s not reliable. And there’s really no reason to believe that it’s going to get better given his playing style. 

And then there’s the Ravens, and how they are approaching this situation. The Ravens have been arguably the best run organization in the NFL for the past decade plus. Their hesitation to committing to Jackson should be a bat signal for the rest of the league to be weary. 

• Like 2