Raiders, Bears Reach Agreement on Khalil Mack Trade

ramssuperbowl99

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

Ive seen fans over the years relentlessly bash moves/deals that a certain team made, only to be proven horribly wrong.

I get that these are hot takes, but its just funny how people are acting like the Raiders just flushed their future down the toilet.

Given the track record of the Raiders, what are you thinking on this? Reggie McKenzie did a good job at building the roster, but he's got some misses in the 1st as well.

Mack was a proven commodity. Let's hope the yet unnamed 1st rounders are as proven one day.

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

You're really bringing injuries into this? Give me that crystal ball, then.

And for the record - the Texans are sitting on close to $40mm in cap space, and had more than enough to resign guys like Hopkins, McKinney (as well as waste money on Osweiler).

So to answer your question - worked very well for them, tks.

I mean kind of tbh. You paid Cleveland a 2nd round pick to take on his contract.

Just now, JustAnotherFan said:

This trade doesn't make sense for either team IMO.

If anyone had told me "the Bears were only one pass rusher away from being SB contenders" I would have laughed at them.

Oh, it makes sense for the Bears. 

They have Trubisky on a cheap contract for the next couple of years. If you are confident that he is good, then this is the time to go all in.  Don't be like Dallas, where you waste that window. 

9 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

To anyone who unironically thinks this was a good trade for Chicago: How much money do you think Mack is worth? 50 million a year?

Because Chicago will be paying him close to 25 while also giving up two firsts and a player.

CHI had the option of keeping a yet unnamed player + two future RD1 picks

Instead, they will (likely) pay Mack something in the neighborhood of 22-24M per year.

How does that equate to Mack being valued at 50M per year?  I'm not trying to be a jerk here.  I truly don't understand the logic.

Good for Fangio. Got an arguably better version of prime Aldon Smith without the mental problems. I like this move for the Bears. They are gonna have to pay out the wazoo for him, but his deal will be par for the course for a pro bowl pass rusher in 2 years, let alone an all pro.

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Its not the point that its injuries. The point is putting to many eggs into 1 basket. 

Which did nothing in terms of the salary cap for the Texans, which is why your example doesn't work. The Texans are still in position to retain/resign everyone they need to retain/resign.

1 minute ago, game3525 said:

They have Trubisky on a cheap contract for the next couple of years. If you are confident that he is good, then this is the time to go all in.  Don't be like Dallas, where you waste that window. 

Wait, what the hell are you talking about? 

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I mean kind of tbh. You paid Cleveland a 2nd round pick to take on his contract.

I never said the evaluation was on point - I said the cap wasn't wrecked to the point to where you lost TOO much. 

Remember, that Brock money was being earmarked for Tony Romo - this was before he retired.

3 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Ive seen fans over the years relentlessly bash moves/deals that a certain team made, only to be proven horribly wrong.

I get that these are hot takes, but its just funny how people are acting like the Raiders just flushed their future down the toilet.

This could be one of those trades that works out well for both teams. The Bears need to capitalize on Macks ability and use the rookie QB contract to good affect. And the Raiders have to hit on the draft picks they net as well as keep the player they get, if it is a player and not more picks other than two firsts. 

This off season has been the craziest I've seen ever for the NFL. 

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

CHI had the option of keeping a yet unnamed player + two future RD1 picks

Instead, they will (likely) pay Mack something in the neighborhood of 22-24M per year.

How does that equate to Mack being valued at 50M per year?  I'm not trying to be a jerk here.  I truly don't understand the logic.

Getting a player who produces like a 1st round pick is expected to likely costs somewhere in the ~$8-10MM range on the free agent market, depending on the position. Let's say $9MM as a composite. The average 1st round pick makes somewhere around $3MM/year (again, this can vary). This means each first round pick is worth ~$6MM/year in value, so add $12MM to Mack's salary, and you're near $40MM.

That's what I estimated it at anyway. You'd do the same general equation for the other player in the deal, if there is one.

1 minute ago, game3525 said:

And every team in the NFL thinks they have their QB. And they work day and night to try and ensure that.

There isn't a team in the league who doesn't think they can make their QB one of the best right now. And there shouldn't be. Nobody's looking at the next batch of rookie QBs. Everyone is looking at right now.

Archived