Raiders, Bears Reach Agreement on Khalil Mack Trade

ramssuperbowl99

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Because the NFL is the only sport with a hard cap? In an era where one player takes up to 20% of your franchises cap space? Would say 90% of a good team is built on them?

Seems like a legit reason why that's the case.

So the Bears have Mack, and are still considered by most the 3rd best team in their own division. Now let's look outward to the NFC, does anyone see them as better than LA, Phi or ATL with this move? So at the very best they're the 6th best team, with no 1st rounders for the next two years and possibly more. So any talent you add is either going to have to be a late round steal or the premium a team pays on the market.

You went all in on Mitch Trubisky, the only way you really improve is through his development. Don't think Ive seen enough yet from him to do that.

Mack is going to be there a while, and the NFL is a league where any team can skyrocket to the top in any given year. Bears can get a window open, and Mack helps that process along. 

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Because the NFL is the only sport with a hard cap? In an era where one player takes up to 20% of your franchises cap space? Would say 90% of a good team is built on them?

Seems like a legit reason why that's the case.

So the Bears have Mack, and are still considered by most the 3rd best team in their own division. Now let's look outward to the NFC, does anyone see them as better than LA, Phi or ATL with this move? So at the very best they're the 6th best team, with no 1st rounders for the next two years and possibly more. So any talent you add is either going to have to be a late round steal or the premium a team pays on the market.

You went all in on Mitch Trubisky, the only way you really improve is through his development. Don't think Ive seen enough yet from him to do that.

The cap doesn't matter if you can't draft well or you draft a talented player and put them in the wrong system. Kahlil Mack is a proven elite player in the prime of his career. He is literally the best case scenario you hope for when drafting a player. I'm a Jets fan and remember immediately after Revis was traded they drafted Dee Milliner who literally amounted to nothing and is already out of the league. You don't get better by getting rid of proven talent.

1 minute ago, Jroc04 said:

Aren’t the top 2-3 guys on a team, especially a winning one, routinely taking up 20% of the cap? It’s almost every year. 

Thats excluding the #1 player. Just the #2 and #3. For example, you guys last year were the lowest in the last decade I believe. I am going off memory, but Cox was #1 (excluded) - number 2 and 3 were Wentz and Alshon, which was barely like 10% of the cap. 

The only team to win it with close to 20% was the Broncos. They were at ~19%

Just now, Packerraymond said:

No non QB closes the Trubisky to Rodgers gap. Maybe this even us at total team talent, but A-Rod is the x factor here.

Unless Trubisky turns into a Jared Goff - not as good as Rodgers, but good enough to elevate the team around him.

Again, consider me in that camp.

Just now, PapaShogun said:

Mack is going to be there a while, and the NFL is a league where any team can skyrocket to the top in any given year. Bears can get a window open, and Mack helps that process along. 

Absolutely, but I think more top 15 picks, and 23m per year to spread on more Trey Burton/Allen Robinson's etc.. gives you a longer, better chance at that window.

Just now, Malik said:

The cap doesn't matter if you can't draft well or you draft a talented player and put them in the wrong system. Kahlil Mack is a proven elite player in the prime of his career. He is literally the best case scenario you hope for when drafting a player. I'm a Jets fan and remember immediately after Revis was traded they drafted Dee Milliner who literally amounted to nothing and is already out of the league. You don't get better by getting rid of proven talent.

And if the Jets kept Revised it wouldn't have mattered because they didn't draft well. If the Bears aren't going to draft well this move is even more irrelevant as they'll go nowhere with it.

You have to make an assumption that the picks were going to be used well or it's a pointless argument. With or without Mack if the Bears next 2-3 drafts suck, the Bears will suck.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Unless Trubisky turns into a Jared Goff - not as good as Rodgers, but good enough to elevate the team around him.

Again, consider me in that camp.

I think their defense is gonna be good enough to keep them in games. If they can figure out how Howard works in their offense and Trubisky doesn't suck, they could surprise some people. 

But that's a lot of "if"s. But it happens.

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yeah... I'm in the minority I guess I... but I think they've pulled even with the Packers after this move.

Long term I think they just made their move to get to the top combined with an awesome draft (Smith / Miller were an A+ start even if it cost them 2 2nds to get Miller).  

Not having 2 1sts and a 2019 2nd will make it harder though long term.  But Mack is that great a game-changer.  The one reason I don’t see 2018 is year 1 adjusting to a new O system.  LAR is the only case in recent history where the surge on O happens year 1. Most times it’s year 2.  As bad as Fire-Fox was there’s only one Jeff Fisher (but I see the argument lol O-development wise).

2019 with MIN’s go-for-it signings leaving and CHI’s O on year 2 - NFCN can lay claim to hardest division (NFCS has that title now).  Talent-wise the NFC is just so loaded compared to the AFC it’s unfair.   The 7th-10th place teams this year could make it in the WC if they were in the AFC. 

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Also, as big as the contract Mack is going to sign is, that has to pale in comparison to how disappointed Al Davis is to have Mark as his son.

Yeah, Al would have sold Marcus Allen's organs to get the money to keep Mack.

Archived