Raiders, Bears Reach Agreement on Khalil Mack Trade

ramssuperbowl99

Raiders really must love Ed Oliver or Nick Bosa to do this.   Suddenly most of Gruden’s plans start to become clear.  

(I kid...kind of.  But this team is going to struggle hard this year.   That D without Mack?  Ouch.  AFC just so much weaker than NFC - LAC’s chance this year to go 6-0 in division and grab a top 2 seed).

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Raiders really must love Ed Oliver or Nick Bosa to do this.   Suddenly most of Gruden’s plans start to become clear.  

(I kid...kind of.  But this team is going to struggle hard this year.   That D without Mack?  Ouch.  AFC just so much weaker than NFC - LAC’s chance this year to go 6-0 in division and grab a top 2 seed).

In all fairness... They were going to struggle even with Mack.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The Rams won that trade because 3 first round picks and a 2nd round pick was worth more than RGIII. Full stop. Keep your time machine. Everything else that happened after that had nothing to do with that trade specifically.

I dont see how you cant separate the two.

If I trade my expensive sports car in for something reasonable and use the extra money to buy a house, I made a smart economical choice.

If I then drive my new sedan directly into the house destroying the value of both, I didnt gain anything.

This isnt a hard concept. The Raiders did the right thing today. Now lets see if they take advantage of it or piss it away.    

How ironic. We finally have a good draft, load up on defensive prospects with high potentiel, they look great in preseason, and you think "wow, Mack is finally going to get some help for once". However those players are partially the reason why Gruden and Reggie were comfortable trading Mack.

SOB.

6 minutes ago, Malik said:

NFL fans are obsessed with draft picks in ways that no other sports fan is. Having to pay a proven great player bothers people more than maybe getting a cheap young player who you HOPE gets to be as good as the guy.

Dude its like the weirdest thing ever haha. In general, yes you do build through the draft. But you dont just blindly hold on to your picks no matter ANY scenario haha

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That is 100% horse****. You're talking about, at most $50MM you'd need this calendar year. On a loan you'd probably be barely paying more interest than inflation anyway, so it'd be virtually free money.

The Raiders just didn't want to sign him.

Guaranteed money has to be put in an escrow at the time of the signing. If Mack got a similar deal to AD then Davis would have to write an $80 million check the day it's signed. 

The Bears most prominent FA next year is Adrian Amos. With the Safety market being what it is and their Cap space next year they should stil, be able to land a few key pieces. 

They would not have been able to land Mack in FA.

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This can't be a thing - a team not having sufficient cash flow? How is that possible?

Pretty sure they need to put all the guaranteed money for the contract into escrow at signing, even if the money only gets paid in two or three years.

Maybe the $100m spent on Gruden and the money paid to move to Vegas has bled them dry?

Just now, ET80 said:

This is a franchise that is worth $2.1B, $500mm isn't a "cash strapping" investment.

For an owner with an estimated net worth of $500 million. I realize the Raiders are worth more but what's their cash flow like? We saw the report from the Packers earning statements that said they netted what $34 million last year?

Just now, NVRamsFan said:

Guaranteed money has to be put in an escrow at the time of the signing. If Mack got a similar deal to AD then Davis would have to write an $80 million check the day it's signed. 

So take out a loan. The Raiders generate something like ~$400M revenue annually, and have TV contracts alone that count for something like $250MM of that which are locked in for the foreseeable future.

They can get tons of stable credit. (Related sidenote: Billionaire owners should pay for their own ******* stadiums)

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

This is a franchise that is worth $2.1B, $500mm isn't a "cash strapping" investment.

Yeah but what the franchise is worth and what the franchise has available in liquid assets is two completely different things.

Even then however...I have a hard time believing an NFL team literally couldn't afford a players contract.

Just now, drd23 said:

Pretty sure they need to put all the guaranteed money for the contract into escrow at signing, even if the money only gets paid in two or three years.

Maybe the $100m spent on Gruden and the money paid to move to Vegas has bled them dry?

Again, we're talking about a $2.1B franchise.

If they're cash strapped, it mean Mark Davis is taking out equity for himself - completely legal to do so as it's his organization, but you'll find scenarios such as this crop up.

Archived