Week 1 GDT Thread - Chicago (0-0) @ Green Bay (0-0)

Leader

6 minutes ago, Norm said:

Lol maybe as good as Nick K. Problably not as good as a rookie. GTFO. 

You are going to go undefeated with this kind of talent. Martinez would be on your practice squad. I wish I had your roster. 

Edit: I also don't agree with what golf said either though. I like Floyd a ton FWIW and Nick is underrated at this point by the average fan.

I've said it before, outside of the starting QBs I think the Bears roster is considerably better.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find more than a handful of starters on either side of the ball you would rate ahead of their Bears counterparts.  But Rodgers is the great equalizer.   

FYI I picked the Pack in the division going 12-4

3 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I've said it before, outside of the starting QBs I think the Bears roster is considerably better.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find more than a handful of starters on either side of the ball you would rate ahead of their Bears counterparts.  But Rodgers is the great equalizer.   

FYI I picked the Pack in the division going 12-4

I don't have any issue with that. At all. But a rookie probably being better and Blake MAYBE being as good as Nick is too much. I think Danny's best has easily been better than Blake's too. IDK if I expect that this year. 

I love Roquan as well. I remember scratching my head when people thought he was a second round pick, even though I think he may have went a tad high too. 

I'm not a huge OMG our rivals suck LMAO guy. I've been defending your roster to Packers and Vikings fans... But I felt like that was too much 

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

I don't have any issue with that. At all. But a rookie probably being better and Blake MAYBE being as good as Nick is too much. I think Danny's best has easily been better than Blake's too. IDK if I expect that this year. 

I love Roquan as well. I remember scratching my head when people thought he was a second round pick, even though I think he may have went a tad high too. 

I'm not a huge OMG our rivals suck LMAO guy. I've been defending your roster to Packers and Vikings fans... But I felt like that was too much 

With Roquan it's all about projection.  We honestly can't say if he is better or not bc hes a rookie.  That said hes a trendy droy pick, hes being coached by a guy who knows how to coach perennial all pros at lb, and hes an 8th overall pick (heard one national analyst say he was the best defensive player in the draft this year earlier this week) expectations for him are sky high.  

Btw, why isnt Josh Jackson starting?

We as Packer fans since the Rodgers era  have enjoyed witnessing the domination over the Bears. But we need to check our arrogance, take off our homer hats and look at the facts. This isn't the same old punching bag Bears team. They have a good young aggressive GM in Pace who knows what he's doing. The Bears have tanked enough to amass some good talent through the draft and they knocked it out the park in FA. They are the better team on paper. Adding Mack to a top 10 defense is scary. And if the rookie ILB Smith turns out to be as good as Jarrad Davis of the Lions they will be a top 5 defense.

This game can go two ways. Rodgers has his usual performance and just lights them up and we win in a laugher. Or the Bears come in and shock the Packers manhandling  them like the 49rs did opening day 2012. This game has that vibe. The 49rs were a team we used to beat up on for years when we played them under Singletary. Then after years of tanking they brought in quality talent through the draft and FA. What put everything in place was finally bringing in a competent head coach in Harbaugh. And who was his defensive coordinator? None other than Nick Fangio. The Bears have all the makings to be like the Harbaugh 49ers, a young innovative offensive HC along with a good experienced defensive mind in Fangio. They now have the same caliber talent on defense when Fangio made Aaron look like an average QB.

Great defenses can neutralize  great QB's. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears came in and caught us by surprise and dominate us like SF did  week 1 of 2012. I'm not trying to be so negative I'm just trying to wake people up not to discount the new look Bears. I guess if I could end on a positive note it will be that our last meeting in Lambeau  we scored 35 points on a top 10 defense with Taylor and McCray playing RT and LT tackle.

44 minutes ago, St Vince said:

We as Packer fans since the Rodgers era  have enjoyed witnessing the domination over the Bears. But we need to check our arrogance, take off our homer hats and look at the facts. This isn't the same old punching bag Bears team. They have a good young aggressive GM in Pace who knows what he's doing. The Bears have tanked enough to amass some good talent through the draft and they knocked it out the park in FA. They are the better team on paper. Adding Mack to a top 10 defense is scary. And if the rookie ILB Smith turns out to be as good as Jarrad Davis of the Lions they will be a top 5 defense.

This game can go two ways. Rodgers has his usual performance and just lights them up and we win in a laugher. Or the Bears come in and shock the Packers manhandling  them like the 49rs did opening day 2012. This game has that vibe. The 49rs were a team we used to beat up on for years when we played them under Singletary. Then after years of tanking they brought in quality talent through the draft and FA. What put everything in place was finally bringing in a competent head coach in Harbaugh. And who was his defensive coordinator? None other than Nick Fangio. The Bears have all the makings to be like the Harbaugh 49ers, a young innovative offensive HC along with a good experienced defensive mind in Fangio. They now have the same caliber talent on defense when Fangio made Aaron look like an average QB.

Great defenses can neutralize  great QB's. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears came in and caught us by surprise and dominate us like SF did  week 1 of 2012. I'm not trying to be so negative I'm just trying to wake people up not to discount the new look Bears. I guess if I could end on a positive note it will be that our last meeting in Lambeau  we scored 35 points on a top 10 defense with Taylor and McCray playing RT and LT tackle.

You completely lost me. 

3 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

You completely lost me. 

I'm lost that you're lost. I hate the Bears but I'll give respect where it is due. He's built a strong roster on paper, his defense is better than Gute's. I'll take Chicago's front 7 over the Packers all day long. I'd love to hear why you think he's not a good GM.  Oh because he hired Fox?

24 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I'm lost that you're lost. I hate the Bears but I'll give respect where it is due. He's built a strong roster on paper, his defense is better than Gute's. I'll take Chicago's front 7 over the Packers all day long. I'd love to hear why you think he's not a good GM.  Oh because he hired Fox?

I'd probably lean Daniels over Hicks.

I'm not hesitating taking Clark over Goldman.

Mack is obviously better than Perry.

Clay vs. Floyd is a discussion, but I'd lean Clay on that one. 

I'd call Martinez vs. Trevethan a push.

Smith vs Burks is the interesting comparison and you'd obviously lean Smith there but both are rookies and god only knows. 

56 minutes ago, St Vince said:

No respect is due yet. If Mitch Turdbisky dosent pan out that franchise could be in a lot of trouble for some time.

while their defense could likely be better, you haven’t seen any of Gute’s players play a down yet.

what if Nagy isn’t good as a HC?

way too many unknowns so far for you to make any proclamations

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

No respect is due yet. If Mitch Turdbisky dosent pan out that franchise could be in a lot of trouble for some time.

I guess the Trubisky sucks argument will be put to rest this season. I personally don't think he's a horrible QB given what he had to work with last season. He'll have zero excuses this year.

1 minute ago, St Vince said:

I guess the Trubisky sucks argument will be put to rest this season. I personally don't think he's a horrible QB given what he had to work with last season. He'll have zero excuses this year.

You guess? How do you you?

He needs to do a lot more than not suck to be worth what they gave up for him.

I don't think Chicago has a better overall roster than GB, but it is comparable. They've certainly closed the gap for sure. The only areas I'd give CHI a clear advantage right now is LB, IOL, and CB(Packers are unproven with this current group but on paper they look far more promising than last year).

You can also give CHI the edge at RB right now if you want, again mainly due to Howard being the only real proven player of the bunch, but I think people are sleeping on GB's rushing attack.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'd probably lean Daniels over Hicks.

I'm not hesitating taking Clark over Goldman.

Mack is obviously better than Perry.

Clay vs. Floyd is a discussion, but I'd lean Clay on that one. 

I'd call Martinez vs. Trevethan a push.

Smith vs Burks is the interesting comparison and you'd obviously lean Smith there but both are rookies and god only knows. 

I know this was a front 7 discussion, but how does the secondary compare? Is Fuller the best if the bunch? 

This will be a tough opener for the Packers, but it’s a game I expect them to win.

‘da bears had a stout defense last year, and Fangio has found ways to keep Rodgers off balance and frustrate him. But chicago, for all their improvement on defense, still has a vulnerable secondary. I look for Davante, Graham, Cobb, and Allison to all make some plays against those sketchy DBs. The Bear front seven will make some plays, but Rodgers will make them pay as well.

And Young Mitchell Trubisky will feel growing pains against Pettine’s retooled and rejuvenated defense. I expect he’ll account for two turnovers, maybe more, via fumble or pick. I think Clay Matthews could have a big game; he’s tired of hearing about “the other 52.” 

A little about special teams: It will be interesting to see how JK Scott plays in his NFL debut. If he can pin the Bears deep in their end of the field, it would be a perfect opportunity for fellow rookie Josh Jackson to get his first pic 6 in a real game! Or perhaps it will be ‘the Return of Tramon!’ And I’m also curious to see if Trevor Davis make a play or two on returns to justify his roster spot. Another game-winning Mason Crosby field goal is a deifinite possibility.

In any case, this should be fun! 

GO PACKERS!

28-14. Packers

I think this game will come down to if we can protect Aaron and if our defense can show its undoubtedly improved from the last few years. I have confidence in the corners to guard these new Receivers the Bears have. Interested to see if we can handle Burton though, Brice is our new starting safety, Martinez isn't the best in coverage, if we can slow him down too, we'll be good. Mack isn't that scary to me at the moment, I don't think he's gonna beat Bak as much as Bears fans think, and Bulaga can hold his own on that side. That brings us to Trubisky, all I hear is he didn't have anything last year. Well to be a good QB you kind of have to make do with what you got, ill give him the benefit of the doubt because he was a rookie, but I need to see it to put the Bears up another notch. They won't  sniff the division unless he takes care of the ball and that running game is explosive as it is on paper. I think the Packers win this division if our defense is better, thats really what it comes down to, we haven't had that since 2014ish. Its time to change and we did.

1 minute ago, Gopackgonerd said:

28-14. Packers

I think this game will come down to if we can protect Aaron and if our defense can show its undoubtedly improved from the last few years. I have confidence in the corners to guard these new Receivers the Bears have. Interested to see if we can handle Burton though, Brice is our new starting safety, Martinez isn't the best in coverage, if we can slow him down too, we'll be good. Mack isn't that scary to me at the moment, I don't think he's gonna beat Bak as much as Bears fans think, or turn Bulaga into a turnstyle. That brings us to Trubisky, all I hear is he didn't have anything last year. Well to be a good QB you kind of have to make do with what you got, ill give him the benefit of the doubt because he was a rookie, but I need to see it to put the Bears up another notch. They won't  sniff the division unless he takes care of the ball and that running game is explosive as it is on paper. I think the Packers win this division if our defense is better, thats really what it comes down to, we haven't had that since 2014ish. Its time to change and we did.

Curious why you say Martinez isn't the best in coverage. I feel that's one of his strengths.

Archived