Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

1 hour ago, iPwn said:

To me, it seemed quite clear that the “I can’t have children” line was Dany positing an equal partnership, and no longer asking that he bend the knee.

It would certainly make the most sense - Jon gets what the help wants against the WWs while not having to subvert the cause of the northern lords, Dany gets a Westerosi ally to help her convince others to get on her side instead of Cersei's and the two of them can finally get it on after all the longing looks the two have been giving each other over the past few episodes

Just now, iPwn said:

I think him becoming the king to her queen is becoming more and more a possibility assuming they both survive. The “I can’t have children” being the discussion of their heirs. Then their hand holding and etc. lends itself to a relationship budding.

Yeah, my theory for a long time has been that they would end up together, or one would end up dead. I think that eventually it'll be somewhat clear how that all plays out. Truthfully, I think that her being barren isn't true. I think she and Jon will have a child together. 

6 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Not that's it's stopped being enjoyable, but all the complaints about this season losing the harshness and unpredictability of game of thrones are true.

Something tells me that has a lot to do with the fact that they're no longer working off of GRRM's material. I still enjoy the show, but we've also hit a point where even people that are just watching the show and never read the books have read a ton of theories that have been created in the six years since the A Dance With Dragons came out.

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

While there were a number of epic things to happen in this episode (the conversations among the Snowceans 7, the battle etc), overall I'm pretty meh on the episode because there there just too many things I thought were stupid or poorly done:

- I hated the Arya/Sansa scenes in this episode,
- like many others thought it was a little ridiculous that the raven made it to Dragonstone so quickly,
- it was stupid that Jon didn't get on Drogon,
- stupid that the NK can throw a javelin/spear like its a damn rocket,
- stupid that he aimed at Viserion instead of Drogon,  
- where the hell did the WWs get those massive chains from and how on earth would they have been able to tie that chain around the neck of a dragon at the bottom of a lake

Well the undead aren't gonna drown so they can just go down in the water. 

And the spear wasnt a rocket, it just hit where the dragons fire was stored and it burst out imo

25 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Not that's it's stopped being enjoyable, but all the complaints about this season losing the harshness and unpredictability of game of thrones are true. The story has just been plot convenience all season. They are clearly just focused on getting somewhere with the story. In earlier seasons, the idea of them chilling on the rock while waiting for Dany to ride in and save them would have seemed ridiculous, but not after how they've softened the realism this season (realism in a world with ridiculous magic/fantasy is the game of thrones magic). From the point Jon told Gendry to send a message to Dany, it was telegraphed what would happen, and everything including the particular dragon being killed and made a zombie was easy to see coming. They couldn't even have killed a different dragon? Had to be the obvious one, who got the most unfortunate name. 

The Sansa and Arya plot has been stupid, but I feel like they'll kill it off and turn around on Littlefinger next episode. These characters are too far for this sibling squabbling to have serious repercussions. Sending Brienne off may have been a fakeout, but I'm not sure since more Jaime and Brienne seems like something they would try for. But Bran is still there and could tell his sisters they're being played if they don't already know.

Again, despite that it's still really good. These last 2 episodes have been lower points on a great season, though, and the whole season definitely has a more rushed less game of thrones-y feel.

I think a good deal of this has to do with the truncated length of the season.  The cardinal rule in writing is to only allow yourself one instance of coincidence otherwise a story just feels contrived.  When you're talking a story as complex (in terms of the number of storylines and the overall length of story) as what Martin put out, you can kind of amend that to one coincidence per major storyline.

However, when you start trying to cram so many events into a single season and that single season allows you less time to show all that as previous seasons had, then even if they're not necessarily coincidence, a lot of things start feeling and looking like excessive coincidence.

There was some actually good symbolism and reflection in this episode (part of it actually directly related to which dragon they chose to get killed off/wighted), but there really wasn't enough time allowed for the flow to come to an ebb for that to really set in for most people I feel.

31 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Something tells me that has a lot to do with the fact that they're no longer working off of GRRM's material. I still enjoy the show, but we've also hit a point where even people that are just watching the show and never read the books have read a ton of theories that have been created in the six years since the A Dance With Dragons came out.

This is so apparent. It's like they have the major plot points, but not the ability/time to flesh out all the subtleties that make the series great. 

Just now, Acgott said:

So I guess we can put the three dragon rider/Tyrion Targaryan theory to rest 

That doesn't remotely squash that theory.  Just because one of Tyrion/Jon won't be riding a dragon doesn't mean Tyrion can't be a Targaryen. 

Some of these complaints are just so God awful it makes me wonder if people have the brain function to think.  Like saying it was stupid to go after the other dragon instead of Drogon for example.  One of them was on the ground.  Just try to picture a spear going from above a dragon on a hill into the dragon doing any kind of damage, especially when there are six or so people on the dragon looking in that direction.  Can you even think? 

3 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

That doesn't remotely squash that theory.  Just because one of Tyrion/Jon won't be riding a dragon doesn't mean Tyrion can't be a Targaryen. 

Certainly possible, though I've soured on that theory (him being a Targ) for a while now.  But Tyrion required a special saddle to sit a horse (remember he gave the same designs over in S1 that allowed Bran to ride even after Bran lost the use of his legs), so him riding a dragon would have been a real feat.

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Some of these complaints are just so God awful it makes me wonder if people have the brain function to think.  Like saying it was stupid to go after the other dragon instead of Drogon for example.  One of them was on the ground.  Just try to picture a spear going from above a dragon on a hill into the dragon doing any kind of damage, especially when there are six or so people on the dragon looking in that direction.  Can you even think? 

Lol what? So it's more feasible for him to launch it like a rocket into a flying dragon? Like those 6 would have stopped it. And if he could hit Viserion, hitting Drogon was just as easy. 

41 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

The Night King was literally about to do just that after taking down Viserion. Did you completely just miss the part where he was handed another spear to throw only for Jon to yell at Dany and co to leave?