Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

2 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I think it is far less about telling people what they should expect and accept... 

... and more about telling people that if they are sticking around... on a ride that they don't enjoy... 

Hey, maybe go ahead and step off at the next stop. Save us the grief? :P 

At this point, most of us have put in years of watching the show. I started watching in 2017, so It's not as bad for me. But at the same point, I've dove deep into the show after hearing so much about it and seeing how much people loved it. And I love it. I just don't have the decade of investment into it that y'all have. When people put years into a show, they want to watch it. 

1 minute ago, scar988 said:

When people put years into a show, they want to watch it. 

Well, I put about 25 years of smoking cigarettes in my rear view mirror... didn't even love doing it most of the time..

... and I have zero interest in seeing what would happen had I continued. 

I mean, it makes about as much sense as Elaine Benes' obsession with getting her free sub.

much less, to spend thinking and posts on talking about it. 

:P 

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

But it is a necessity that it's for a central character, right

And wouldn't you see the value in having a scene where you address this somehow? (This is also why I don't get why Melissandre just walked off and died at the end.) Presume LM is still there, and her last words before Jon executes her are that she knew it would be Arya because [reasons] and the prophecy was a lie. Bran can cut in with his "it brought people where they needed to be" line like he told Theon. Dany liked hearing that prophecy, so there's emotion there as she struggles to figure out who the rightful heir to the throne is, so there's a cutaway shot.

And obviously you'd write it better than I did, but you address that you didn't just forget the prophecy and you close the loop on a character who just kind of wandered away.

The necessity is that it drives the plot. The prophecy drives the plot because it created the plot. It created Jon Snow. It revived Jon Snow. It drove Melissandre to help at the BoW.

I don't need to smacked over the head that the prophecy has meaning without it being true. I can more than figure that out on my own. Exposition to explain it is actually the type of writing that would be considered lazy.

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

The necessity is that it drives the plot. The prophecy drives the plot because it created the plot. It created Jon Snow. It revived Jon Snow. It drove Melissandre to help at the BoW.

I don't need to smacked over the head that the prophecy has meaning without it being true. I can more than figure that out on my own. Exposition to explain it is actually the type of writing that would be considered lazy.

So right now, you're 100% convinced that the prophecy was a lie?

7 minutes ago, scar988 said:

At this point, most of us have put in years of watching the show. I started watching in 2017, so It's not as bad for me. But at the same point, I've dove deep into the show after hearing so much about it and seeing how much people loved it. And I love it. I just don't have the decade of investment into it that y'all have. When people put years into a show, they want to watch it. 

Exactly. Its been like watching Shawshank Redemption. And suddenly the Joker is created and it turns into a Batman flick where hes trying to stop him.

While the complaint is justified about not being Shawshank anymore. Nobodys saying that they cant enjoy a bit of some Batman.

Edited by PARROTHEAD
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

So right now, you're 100% convinced that the prophecy was a lie?

Not necessarily. But even if it was never mentioned again I'm 100% fine with this as the ending. I see no reason that it MUST be true.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

I 100% agree that the prophecy doesn't need to be true. However at this point they need to do something to address the prophecies, either by it being fulfilled, or acknowledging that it was false to close the loop. Otherwise it looks like they just dumped it without thought. D&D do NOT deserve the benefit of the doubt right now.

2 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I 100% agree that the prophecy doesn't need to be true. However at this point they need to do something to address the prophecies, either by it being fulfilled, or acknowledging that it was false to close the loop. Otherwise it looks like they just dumped it without thought. D&D do NOT deserve the benefit of the doubt right now.

I don't get why people hate D&D so much.

6 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Not necessarily. But even if it was never mentioned again I'm 100% fine with this as the ending. I see no reason that it MUST be true.

Eh. I'll agree to disagree. 

This was consistently referred to in the show from the very beginning through Season 7, both blatantly with parts being said and through shots of relevant people the prophecy. They should close the loop in some fashion, at least in my opinion.

But I guess if they go through it your way LM just wandering off and dying is kind of fitting.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Eh. I'll agree to disagree. 

This was consistently referred to in the show from the very beginning through Season 7, both blatantly with parts being said and through shots of relevant people the prophecy. They should close the loop in some fashion, at least in my opinion.

But I guess if they go through it your way LM just wandering off and dying is kind of fitting.

I mean, let's wait to see what they say in S8E4. Because Davos could be all like, "Well, Arya is a the prince who was promised."

1 minute ago, scar988 said:

I mean, let's wait to see what they say in S8E4. Because Davos could be all like, "Well, Arya is a the prince who was promised."

Yep, part of the reason I'm okay with the writing in Episode 3 is because we don't know what Episode 4 will be. If it's never addressed, I wouldn't be happy. At least there's some literary device that actually explains why, though.

Learned something today. 

34 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Apparently it needed to be explained to D&D. 

Edited by Calvert28