Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

Why does Dany wait until the city has surrendered to go all mad queen? She could have done it at any point, but waited until it was literally hers. Why does Arya pull that mother and daughter out of safety and into certain death? Why is it so certain that Dany will go mad but Jon won't? What was the point of Arya's entire Bravosi storyline? Just to kill Frey? Bleh. No wonder GRRM hated this season.

Jaime was supposed to strangle Cersei. That's why people are upset about his "arc".

2 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Jaime was supposed to strangle Cersei. That's why people are upset about his "arc".

And why was that "supposed" to happen? As mentioned before, the Valonqar part of the prophecy was left out of the show.

What scene(s) tell us that Jamie was supposed to strangle her? 

Just now, JonStark said:

And why was that "supposed" to happen? As mentioned before, the Valonqar part of the prophecy was left out of the show.

What scene(s) tell us that Jamie was supposed to strangle her? 

People expected it. It was "supposed" to happen. Their actual death scene was weak and lacked the violence and contempt the two have for each other in conjunction with their "love" for each other. It was in the book, and it's better writing than what they went with in the show. That's why it was "supposed" to happen.

30 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

But it was a great episode. Is the GoT everything it could have been? No. But it is still phenomenal. I’m a book reader and I still really appreciate the show. 

This is me, minus the reading part.

3 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

At what point do people learn the ability to separate book from show? :/ 

There have been books I have read that typically blow movies watched away, but the true failure is in my lack of recognition in understanding what was at play. Books have all the advantage of time and detail. Shows that come later lack this.. as well as specific events unfurled , when determined to be done at a set time.. do not have such advantages. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

People expected it. It was "supposed" to happen. Their actual death scene was weak and lacked the violence and contempt the two have for each other in conjunction with their "love" for each other. It was in the book, and it's better writing than what they went with in the show. That's why it was "supposed" to happen.

Uh... what? 

People need to stop comparing the writing of the show to the writing of the books. We all know D&D aren't great writers. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I don't think they butchered him. He has openly defied plenty of kings (even says so himself). He died defying the most important one in the show, and he did it for the good of the realm. I thought they nailed his death. 

Talking about how they butchered book Varys. And even in the show, they butchered the essence of Varys’ character from season 5 on.

-He’s the one who told King Aerys that Rhaegar and some of the realm’s lords were plotting a coupe, which was the real purpose of the Tourney of Harrenhal, so they’d all have an excuse to meet together. Varys prevented that, staying “loyal” to arguably the worst King in Westeros history (Maegor the Cruel probably takes that title though). 

-When Robert was King, he openly aided Robert, even though he was a terrible King. He sent assassins after Daenarys. He worked with Ned to make sure Robert stayed alive, while working in the SHADOWS with Illyrio plotting his eventual downfall. He had no part in Robert’s death. 

-When Robert died, he knew what sort of King Joffrey would be, but he openly supported him and Cersei and even tells Ned in the Black Cells that if he openly supported Ned, he would have died, and that would help no one. 

-He had no part in Joffery’s death

I could go on giving more examples but I think you get the point.

Please tell me which King he has openly defied.

16 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Why does Dany wait until the city has surrendered to go all mad queen? She could have done it at any point, but waited until it was literally hers. Why does Arya pull that mother and daughter out of safety and into certain death? Why is it so certain that Dany will go mad but Jon won't? What was the point of Arya's entire Bravosi storyline? Just to kill Frey? Bleh. No wonder GRRM hated this season.

Because that's who they wrote it. 

16 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

That would be the worst decision the show has ever made.

I mean, war changes people. It changes them fast too. I think she could just say "screw it" and move on.

39 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

My biggest gripe about this season is that Brienne absolutely should have died against the white walkers. They didn’t need her to have sex with Jaime...it added nothing to either of their stories and wasted time. 

May that point it would have given more reason for Jaime to go back. 

They’ve missed many opportunities this season, and I think that the time crunch is the primary reason. If they were allotted the amount of time they got, them I can understand that. But they could have actually SAVED time and added emotion by Brienne dying in Jamie’s arms. 

I also wish that Jamie would have mercy killed Cersei. The problem is that mercy killing may not be culturally consistent, but it would have fulfilled the book prophecy that has many book readers frustrated today. 

But it was a great episode. Is the GoT everything it could have been? No. But it is still phenomenal. I’m a book reader and I still really appreciate the show. 

That would've really helped make his ending sit better with me. Returning to Cersei so she wouldn't suffer the same fate.

1 minute ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Talking about how they butchered book Varys. And even in the show, they butchered the essence of Varys’ character from season 5 on.

-He’s the one who told King Aerys that Rhaegar and some of the realm’s lords were plotting a coupe, which was the real purpose of the Tourney of Harrenhal, so they’d all have an excuse to meet together. Varys prevented that, staying “loyal” to arguably the worst King in Westeros history (Maegor the Cruel probably takes that title though). 

-When Robert was King, he openly aided Robert, even though he was a terrible King. He sent assassins after Daenarys. He worked with Ned to make sure Robert stayed alive, while working in the SHADOWS with Illyrio plotting his eventual downfall. He had no part in Robert’s death. 

-When Robert died, he knew what sort of King Joffrey would be, but he openly supported him and Cersei and even tells Ned in the Black Cells that if he openly supported Ned, he would have died, and that would help no one. 

-He had no part in Joffery’s death

I could go on giving more examples but I think you get the point.

Please tell me which King he has openly defied.

I'll have to rewatch the episode, but I'm pretty sure he says something to Jon about how many kings he's served and bailed on to prove a point that Jon is the best of them. Wouldn't freeing Tyrion count as defiance? 

Either way, Varys always served the realm over a king, and he continued to do so to his death. Out of curiosity, what do you think a more fitting way for him to go out would be? 

4 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Uh... what? 

People need to stop comparing the writing of the show to the writing of the books. We all know D&D aren't great writers. 

I was explaining to y'all why people were upset about Jaimie's arc. That's why they're upset. I don't really care if you don't agree.

Cersei and Jaime went out in a completely weak fashion that completely denied them their deserved endings. That's what I believe. Whether Arya or Jaimie did it, it should have been more than just fading to black.