Week 2 GDT: Detroit Lions At San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

2 hours ago, Geek said:

Is Smith actually going to play this week? Assuming he doesn't stub his pinky toe before Sunday of course.

He's the football version of a tree falling in the woods. If a player signs a contract but never plays a down, was he ever really on the team? 

I was reading Barrows' Q&A, and he said that Thomas only played 49% of the defensive snaps and got fewer pass rushes than Armstead. Does this bug anyone else? Because I'm feeling like either A) our defensive coaching staff is doing some weird things, or B) Thomas isn't all that good right now, despite some of the hype he got. Shanny said it was because of the packages, but honestly, Thomas is sound against the run and if we have him inside, should be a decent pass rusher on passing downs. I don't know what packages we are playing that would require him to be off the field on 51% of the defensive snaps....

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It's definitely something to pay attention as the season goes on. The most disappointing part was he got very little interior rushes. He flashed in the preseason from there and then all of a sudden gets no rushes from the inside? Interesting. 

I'm starting to think Saleh is a guy that over-thinks the obvious. He's a #3 overall pick. Your making not only him, but yourselves look bad trying to get cute with all these specific packages and where he lines up. He should be putting him in the best position to suceed, period. Screw packages and personnel groupings, put him next to Buckner inside in our nickel and let him work. This isn't hard to figure out at all. 

17 hours ago, Forge said:

Not sure if that is better or worse for you guys. Slay is the better player at what he does, but he can only do so much on one receiver. If you don't generate pressure against Jimmy, he will eat teams alive going to secondary receivers. Ziggy could have a nice day against a suspect offensive line, and one of the reasons Jimmy struggled so much against Minnesota was the constant pressure. 

Ziggy actually participated in practic today but was limited. The only player that did not practice was our RG TJ Lang.

Agreed with the above. He may not be elite from the inside, but it seem's like we're trying to force a tiger to change its stripes. The insistence at putting Thomas on the outside (maybe because he had a crazy combine?) is really backfiring when it comes rushing the passer. He's good against the run and is a great player for chasing plays down from the backside, but we really need him to give more against the pass. Seem's like it's a bit of Saleh and a bit of Thomas messin this up.  

1 hour ago, Justone2 said:

I feel a lot also has to do with how they view Armstead and what he can do from the inside. And lets not act like Thomas had a good game against the VIkings in any way.

Armstead is in no way, shape, or form, a better interior pass-rusher than Thomas. Armstead is a power-rusher and that is a skill-set that's needed but Thomas can cause more problems with his quickness/power combo inside, next to DeFo in the nickel than Armstead. I have no problems with Solly outside in base. That's where he should be. But it seems as though Saleh and is letting the lack of production from guys like Marsh, along with Watson's injury, force his hand into leaving Solly outside. If Blair and Marsh can't get it done, then that's on Lynch for failing to address the problem. But trying to mask the problem by leaving Solly out there isn't the answer either. They talked all off-season about playing Solly at DT to better utilize his skill-set. And we saw evidence in pre-season that he indeed looked more comfortable and was more effective inside. So to not give him any looks inside, whether it was due to injury, gameplan, or whatever the case may be is just not acceptable at this point. 

1 hour ago, John232 said:

Agreed with the above. He may not be elite from the inside, but it seem's like we're trying to force a tiger to change its stripes. The insistence at putting Thomas on the outside (maybe because he had a crazy combine?) is really backfiring when it comes rushing the passer. He's good against the run and is a great player for chasing plays down from the backside, but we really need him to give more against the pass. Seem's like it's a bit of Saleh and a bit of Thomas messin this up.  

I was one of the ppl that believed he could play LEO from the jump. And I actually still believe that he could eventually be a very good Leo down the road. But its painfully obvious that at this stage in his growth that its best to keep him inside and let him grow as a pass-rusher, from the interior first. Then maybe as he gets more seasoned and technically-sound, he could work from the outside some. I always thought his comp was Everson Griffen. I sill believe he can develop into that kind of player....adapt both inside and outside. But just like Griffin its going to take time for him to get there.

One thing that I just realized earlier today: Matt Patricia has very intimate knowledge of Jimmy Garoppolo from the 3.5 seasons they spent together in new England going against each other in practice everyday. 

Jimmy Garoppolo also has intimate knowledge of Patricias scheme as well. Should be an interesting wrinkle to keep an eye on. 

8 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Armstead is in no way, shape, or form, a better interior pass-rusher than Thomas. Armstead is a power-rusher and that is a skill-set that's needed but Thomas can cause more problems with his quickness/power combo inside, next to DeFo in the nickel than Armstead. I have no problems with Solly outside in base. That's where he should be. But it seems as though Saleh and is letting the lack of production from guys like Marsh, along with Watson's injury, force his hand into leaving Solly outside. If Blair and Marsh can't get it done, then that's on Lynch for failing to address the problem. But trying to mask the problem by leaving Solly out there isn't the answer either. They talked all off-season about playing Solly at DT to better utilize his skill-set. And we saw evidence in pre-season that he indeed looked more comfortable and was more effective inside. So to not give him any looks inside, whether it was due to injury, gameplan, or whatever the case may be is just not acceptable at this point. 

I agree with that Thomas is a different player then Armstead and can create more danger inside. With Armstead however you also have the added length as a benefit. It will be interesting to look for in the coming weeks what will happen with Thomas.

7 hours ago, N4L said:

One thing that I just realized earlier today: Matt Patricia has very intimate knowledge of Jimmy Garoppolo from the 3.5 seasons they spent together in new England going against each other in practice everyday. 

Jimmy Garoppolo also has intimate knowledge of Patricias scheme as well. Should be an interesting wrinkle to keep an eye on. 

I think there is some merit to this, but judging from week one, the Lions' defense looks awful, Patricia looked outmatched and downright flustered all game long, and apparently, there are multiple rumors of the Lions' veteran players not liking Patricia or wanting to play for him. I think it's safe to say that the Lions are a bit of a mess right now and if the Jets can figure out to beat their defense, Shanahan definitely can.

16 hours ago, N4L said:

Looking at how Patricia's defense has been recently, I'm not too worried.

Archived