Contract years, Cobb vs CMJ.

jleisher

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Eh, there's always a spot on my team for veteran players who have played their whole career with me if I'm running things.  Money has to be right, and Clay has to understand he's not what he was, but if he's willing to jump into the role of doing what's needed out of him, I'm re-signing him. 

We dislike him now because he can't do what we want him to do in the role he has to do, and that's not fair on him.  He can still play. 

Clay doesn't seem like the pride swallowing, accept being a reserve and paid like one type.

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Clay doesn't seem like the pride swallowing, accept being a reserve and paid like one type.

Why would you accept a paycut when there's enough pass rush hungry teams who would pay him a TON of coin?  Last offseason, Trent Murphy got $7.5M/year coming off a torn ACL (IIRC), Vinny Curry coming off a 3 sack season got nearly $8M/year, and Denico Autry with his 10.5 career sacks got almost $6M.  Someone will pay him.  It's just a question of who.

On 9/13/2018 at 11:08 AM, incognito_man said:

CMJ is the father of the Clay Matthews III that plays for the 2018 Packers.

I agree, he would be a liability on the field as a 62yr old man.

Clay Matthews Jr The 3rd

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Why would you accept a paycut when there's enough pass rush hungry teams who would pay him a TON of coin?  Last offseason, Trent Murphy got $7.5M/year coming off a torn ACL (IIRC), Vinny Curry coming off a 3 sack season got nearly $8M/year, and Denico Autry with his 10.5 career sacks got almost $6M.  Someone will pay him.  It's just a question of who.

Good, comp pick for us.

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Well our team gets better or we get a comp pick. Either way, no reason to spend on Matthews, or Cobb.

So...we go into the offseason with Nick Perry and a bunch of scrubs at EDGE, how is this any different than when we went into the 2015 season with our CB corps?  At the end of the day, EDGE is still a glaring need regardless of whether or not we re-sign Clay.  It just becomes an even bigger need without Clay there.

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Which team is going to pay a 33 year-old Clay Matthews a "TON of coin" in 2019?

33 year-old Chris Long just got a 2 year, $4,500,000 contract with the Eagles (after playing well in a limited role for back-to-back SB champions).

Trent Murphy is 27. Vinny Curry is 30. Denico Autry is 28.

If some other team wants to overpay Clay for his "pass rush" skills that is perfectly fine. 

No way Gute makes the mistake of overvaluing Matthews after seeing his "production" up close and personal these past several years.  

3 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Which team is going to pay a 33 year-old Clay Matthews a "TON of coin" in 2019?

33 year-old Chris Long just got a 2 year, $4,500,000 contract with the Eagles (after playing well in a limited role for back-to-back SB champions).

Trent Murphy is 27. Vinny Curry is 30. Denico Autry is 28.

If some other team wants to overpay Clay for his "pass rush" skills that is perfectly fine. 

No way Gute makes the mistake of overvaluing Matthews after seeing his "production" up close and personal these past several years.  

I have no idea.  I just know that he's going to get paid reasonably well.  Nobody is talking about paying him elite money, but he's easily going to break what Chris Long got from the Eagles.  And maybe someone can correct me, but I believe Chris Long said he left money on the table to play for the Eagles.  I might be mistaken though.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

So...we go into the offseason with Nick Perry and a bunch of scrubs at EDGE, how is this any different than when we went into the 2015 season with our CB corps?  At the end of the day, EDGE is still a glaring need regardless of whether or not we re-sign Clay.  It just becomes an even bigger need without Clay there.

I mentioned something similar yesterday in response to someone saying we should dump CM and Perry - which IMO - would pretty much leave the position bare. There's not a whole lot of meat on that bone right now.

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Um where did I say it wasn't a need? You're trying to argue something I've never said. It's time to move on from Matthews, that's my statement. EDGE is a trainwreck right now and it will be one in the off-season too.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

I mentioned something similar yesterday in response to someone saying we should dump CM and Perry - which IMO - would pretty much leave the position bare. There's not a whole lot of meat on that bone right now.

I think it's the notion that they can just dump it, find production for nothing, and then use that money elsewhere to be fool's gold.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Um where did I say it wasn't a need? You're trying to argue something I've never said. It's time to move on from Matthews, that's my statement. EDGE is a trainwreck right now and it will be one in the off-season too.

That's not where I was getting at.  IF we tell him we're not interested in re-signing him even if he's willing to do a reasonable deal, where do we stand next offseason?  We've got Nick Perry and nothing else.  We're stuck either overpaying for a FA acquisition or forced to use multiple high picks to fill that position.  We're in the same boat as we were in 2015.

Archived