Will we ever see another 2007 Patriots team (16-0) again?

Championshiporbust

4 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

Where was that point differential against the Giants when it counted most? Tom Brady and Randy Moss are among the top five at their respective positions, but struggled that day. The 2007 Pats just didn't earn the right other teams did on the field in this narrow category.

I'm just trying to work out what you mean here, because you say the great teams do it on the field, and I'm sure even the likes of DnB57 and Bay Raider wouldn't deny that, on-the-field, the 07 Pats were one of (if not THE) most dominant teams ever. The stats prove this. So if it's not on the field, what is it?

The Rams are the perfect team to go 16-0. Last year the Rams was the 2nd youngest team in the NFL. They had the 2nd youngest starting QB in the NFL. They had the youngest NFL head coach in NFL history. They had all these new players, learning new schemes on both sides of the ball. On defense in particular, most of that side was a carry over from the previous regime who ran a different scheme thus alot of those players didnt quite fit the new scheme. Add to the fact that the team was learning how to win. That team won 11 games and actually left 2 more wins out there. I am talking about Kupp dropping the GW TD pass in Week 5 against the Seahawks and the McVay choosing to rest his starters Week 17 against the Niners. Those couldve been wins thus the Rams couldve been 13-3 last season.

Now this season the experience, the chemistry, and on defense its finally fixed to fit what Wade wants to do within his scheme. You add guys like Peters and Talib (you saw already them impacts they are making). You add Suh to go with Donald. Even though they didnt get a sack, they caused a very talented Raiders interior line to hold and have false starts because they werent going to let Suh and Donald kill their QB. Not only that but once Carr got hit by Donald he became skittish and it was over after that. You add Cooks who you saw his impact. He drew two PI calls in the 1st half to help the Rams move the football when the Rams were getting nothing in the 1st half as they was trying to shake off the rust for not playing a single snap in the preseason. We know what impact Zeurlein and Hekker makes on special teams. The Rams have the best coaching staff in the NFL when you think of McVay who is an offensive genius, Wade who is a great defensive minded coach, and Fassel who is one of the best special teams coaches in the NFL. So no matter what situation, the Rams have the talent and coaching to adjust as the game goes on and take advantages of types of situations. 

Now do I think the Rams will go 16-0? No. I think for McVay its about setting up for long term success which is for the playoffs. If the Rams are in position to go undefeated but have the top seed wrapped up I can see McVay resting his starters the last week of the season and playing his backups in spots more leading up to the last week of the season. Plus it is hard to go undefeated no matter what team it is. 

17 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I'd say there are two teams with a legit case to do it this year in LA and MIN.  Winner of that matchup on 9/27 could do it possibly.  They are both well coached with steady QB play and elite defenses so why not.  Obviously unlikely and very hard to do but I could see it happening.  

can’t see the vikes doing it in the NFCN

the rams can with this year’s NFCW but i don’t see it happening 

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'm just trying to work out what you mean here, because you say the great teams do it on the field, and I'm sure even the likes of DnB57 and Bay Raider wouldn't deny that, on-the-field, the 07 Pats were one of (if not THE) most dominant teams ever. The stats prove this. So if it's not on the field, what is it?

The '07 Pats would have been one of the most dominant had they been able to seal the deal. You still have to win the championship, stats aren't the final say on who is the best. It's about winning, and who knows, maybe that team would have been better off with a loss or two during the regular season.

33 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

The '07 Pats would have been one of the most dominant had they been able to seal the deal. You still have to win the championship, stats aren't the final say on who is the best. It's about winning, and who knows, maybe that team would have been better off with a loss or two during the regular season.

It is about winning, and they won all regular season games. I get what you're saying though, you're in the "have to win the superbowl to be a great team" camp, which is fair. It's back to original point by AIN.

If a team is going to go 16-0 in this era of football they'll need a offense that can put up around 500+ points. There isn't any 1 offense that looks heads and shoulders better than anyone else currently so I don't think it's likely. Plus a 16-0 requires great coaching all season with not 1 game being poorly coached. I don't think any team now can do that.

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

So, the best ever point differential and 16-0 is NOT on-the-field? 

No point. He’s too woken on this issue. You are arguing with a guy who stated that he arbitrarily valued that game as the most important game of Brady’s career and couldn’t consider him the GOAT over guys who won and went to less Super Bowls as a result. He fetishizes the narrative behind that game far too much to have a real conversation over it.

Yes of course the 07 Patriots are among the best teams if all time. They constantly get ranked amongst the best teams and over a decade later they are still talked about. 

20 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

A team cannot be considered one of the best in the history of their sport if they can't even win the league title that year. Ditto for the 2001 Seattle Mariners, and others.  The toughest part isn't going 16-0, it's closing the deal, and the Giants wouldn't let that happen.

Agreed.
Those 07 Pats were an amazing team, but unless you win the Championship - you just cannot be considered among the All -Time Greats.
Its why they keep score. And we even have a TV series about "Missing Trophies - Great teams who came up short"

98 vikes had an all world offense, lit up the league , were 15-1 but couldn't seal the deal
2011 Packers had an all world offense, lit up the league, were 15-1, but couldn't seal the deal
2015 Panthers were 15-1 too - but they couldn't seal the deal either
Only the Pats fans think they are special... for coming up short

You wanna be considered among the best, you need to win the Title. Otherwise, we're just handing out participation trophies.
The Lombardi stands for greatness and greatness means winning it all. It doesn't stand for coming close, being exceptionally good, setting offensive records or being a fantasy dream team. All Time Greats win the Title, its really not a difficult concept to comprehend. IF you wish to bask in the glory of being a Champion, then you have to accept the slings & arrows that come with Losing on the biggest stage. You can't have it both ways. 

When the Pats win the Super Bowl - the fans scream: "We are the Greatest !!!"
When the Pats lose the Super Bowl the fans still scream "We are the Greatest !!!" 

Should the NFL have a Trophy for the best loser in the Super Bowl ? Perhaps. And when they roll that one out, the 07 Pats will be given due consideration.

Don't like it ? Too bad.  Now go home and get your shinebox.  :D

Could a team go 16-0? Sure. Will a team do it as dominantly as the 07 Patriots did it? I doubt it. The Patriots through the first 10 games of that season posted a +254 point differential. It was the most unbelievable string of dominance ever. Just to give you an idea the scores of their first 10 games went: 38-14, 38-14, 38-7, 34-13, 34-17, 48-27, 49-28, 52-7, 24-20, 56-10. The only game that was close was them playing the 8-0 defending SB Colts team. They beat a 13-3 Cowboys team 48-27, a 9-7 Redskins team 52-7, an 11-5 Chargers team 38-14 and a 10-6 Browns team 34-17. I don’t think people today appreciate how good that team was.

36 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Agreed.
Those 07 Pats were an amazing team, but unless you win the Championship - you just cannot be considered among the All -Time Greats.
Its why they keep score. And we even have a TV series about "Missing Trophies - Great teams who came up short"

98 vikes had an all world offense, lit up the league , were 15-1 but couldn't seal the deal
2011 Packers had an all world offense, lit up the league, were 15-1, but couldn't seal the deal
2015 Panthers were 15-1 too - but they couldn't seal the deal either
Only the Pats fans think they are special... for coming up short

You wanna be considered among the best, you need to win the Title. Otherwise, we're just handing out participation trophies.
The Lombardi stands for greatness and greatness means winning it all. It doesn't stand for coming close, being exceptionally good, setting offensive records or being a fantasy dream team. All Time Greats win the Title, its really not a difficult concept to comprehend. IF you wish to bask in the glory of being a Champion, then you have to accept the slings & arrows that come with Losing on the biggest stage. You can't have it both ways. 

When the Pats win the Super Bowl - the fans scream: "We are the Greatest !!!"
When the Pats lose the Super Bowl the fans still scream "We are the Greatest !!!" 

Should the NFL have a Trophy for the best loser in the Super Bowl ? Perhaps. And when they roll that one out, the 07 Pats will be given due consideration.

Don't like it ? Too bad.  Now go home and get your shinebox.  :D

Only Pats fans? So this board doesn’t bring up that team every year? So the NFL Network didn’t just do a top 10 greatest teams ever that included them? So sports media in general doesn’t refer to them as one of the greatest teams they’ve ever seen? 

Must be nice making crap up to feel better about your minority opinion

Archived