Wk 2 postgame: GB 29 •MIN 29 (OT)

Cakeshoppe

On 9/19/2018 at 3:40 PM, Packerraymond said:

Vikes_Bunch_1.png

This had to be my WTF Pettine moment. This is the very definition of losing by allignment. You have to call off whatever blitz you've got going on there when you see that formation.

Any way we can see that like 2 seconds after the snap ?

8 minutes ago, cannondale said:

We were without our best RB, and our best player and QB was hobbled. Our defensive scheme was 2 weeks old, and we have young players that should improve between now and playoff time. We played our azz off and faded, maybe partly from being bent over and reamed by the refs for 60 minutes. I still think we deserved that win. Vikings fans can say what they like, but after that game, they gotta have some concerns

The Vikings main concern is unemployed. It was only the Vikings 2nd game with the OC and quarterback. I think they are still finding they're groove.

I'm not overly concerned because it was week 2. They could have played better no doubt and they tried to give the game away just like the Packers. They need to get the running game going. But I think the pass protection has been a lot better than expected so far. But it's still early

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

The Vikings main concern is unemployed. It was only the Vikings 2nd game with the OC and quarterback. I think they are still finding they're groove.

I'm not overly concerned because it was week 2. They could have played better no doubt and they tried to give the game away just like the Packers. They need to get the running game going. But I think the pass protection has been a lot better than expected so far. But it's still early

Don’t take this the wrong way because I’ve interacted with you in this forum before and it’s always been respectful, but I wasn’t impressed with the Vikings on Sunday.  I get that we’re in week two - both teams are - and our kicker missed a game winning field goal at the very end of regulation also.  Truth be told, both teams had chances to win, and both screwed away the opportunities - not very impressive, regardless of the refs.

We keep hearing how much better the Vikings roster is from top to bottom over the Packers, and I honestly just didn’t see it on display.  I’m not saying the Vikings are a struggling team - far from it actually.  I watched the game twice objectively, and both times I just didn’t think the Vikings lived up to their hype, from missed tackles, to open running lanes for Williams, to Rodgers completing 30 of 42 on a “vaunted” defense, to our terrible defense holding the Vikings offense in check much of the game.  GB made too many mistakes and suffered from some costly penalties, which kept the Vikings in the game until the end.  

For a game that Minny had circled on their calendars for months, and a team who dumped three QB’s in the offseason to sign Cousins for the sole purpose of beating the Packers and winning the Super Bowl, I just didn’t see what all the Viking hype was all about this past Sunday.

18 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Don’t take this the wrong way because I’ve interacted with you in this forum before and it’s always been respectful, but I wasn’t impressed with the Vikings on Sunday.  I get that we’re in week two - both teams are - and our kicker missed a game winning field goal at the very end of regulation also.  Truth be told, both teams had chances to win, and both screwed away the opportunities - not very impressive, regardless of the refs.

We keep hearing how much better the Vikings roster is from top to bottom over the Packers, and I honestly just didn’t see it on display.  I’m not saying the Vikings are a struggling team - far from it actually.  I watched the game twice objectively, and both times I just didn’t think the Vikings lived up to their hype, from missed tackles, to open running lanes for Williams, to Rodgers completing 30 of 42 on a “vaunted” defense, to our terrible defense holding the Vikings offense in check much of the game.  GB made too many mistakes and suffered from some costly penalties, which kept the Vikings in the game until the end.  

For a game that Minny had circled on their calendars for months, and a team who dumped three QB’s in the offseason to sign Cousins for the sole purpose of beating the Packers and winning the Super Bowl, I just didn’t see what all the Viking hype was all about this past Sunday.

That's fair. I don't expect anyone to be super impressed with the Vikings. I expected the Vikings offense to start slow but I did expect the expect to look a little better. I'm excited to see where cousins can take the team though. He's able to make throws that we haven't seen since Favre and him and diggs seen to have a connection already.

As for the Packers, I felt like people were putting a lot of faith into a new DC and practically 3 rookie CBs. The offense is good but I wonder how well they would do with case keenum.

It's hard to get excited when you see the players that spielman brought in and Zimmer coached up. The downfall might be the O-line though

9 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

As for the Packers, I felt like people were putting a lot of faith into a new DC and practically 3 rookie CBs. The offense is good but I wonder how well they would do with case keenum.

Is that a serious question?  Last year they wouldn't have done well at all because the defense was a major liability.  This year remains to be seen how good the defense can be.  But let's be honest.  Do you think Case Keenum can repeat his last year performance?  So far it's looking more like the Case Keenum people expect.  If Cousins goes down, how good do you think the Vikings are gonna be with Trevor Siemian?  Will he be able to win a game?  Last year the Vikings caught lightning in a bottle.  It won't happen again so you'd better hope that o-line can keep Cousins upright the whole season.  

Note:  Cousins was a bad call away from 325 yards 3 TDs and 2 INTs and a big L so don't act like the Packers defense was terrible.  

Rodgers was a few bad DPI, OPI, and Holding calls away from 350 yards 3 or 4 TDs, 0 INTs and a big W

15 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Is that a serious question?  Last year they wouldn't have done well at all because the defense was a major liability.  This year remains to be seen how good the defense can be.  But let's be honest.  Do you think Case Keenum can repeat his last year performance?  So far it's looking more like the Case Keenum people expect.  If Cousins goes down, how good do you think the Vikings are gonna be with Trevor Siemian?  Will he be able to win a game?  Last year the Vikings caught lightning in a bottle.  It won't happen again so you'd better hope that o-line can keep Cousins upright the whole season.  

Note:  Cousins was a bad call away from 325 yards 3 TDs and 2 INTs and a big L so don't act like the Packers defense was terrible.  

Rodgers was a few bad DPI, OPI, and Holding calls away from 350 yards 3 or 4 TDs, 0 INTs and a big W

That's just it.  Not many teams are gonna be successful if they lose their starting QB.  The Eagles struggled without Wentz these past 2 weeks but I hear he is going to play this week.  The Vikes would be in trouble if something happens to Cousins just like we are without #12.

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

That's just it.  Not many teams are gonna be successful if they lose their starting QB.  The Eagles struggled without Wentz these past 2 weeks but I hear he is going to play this week.  The Vikes would be in trouble if something happens to Cousins just like we are without #12.

I don't think we should just be limiting it to "if a team loses their starting QB." Teams like Tennessee can lose Mariotta and still perform decent because they don't have a ton of money tied into him yet and still are able to spread it around to other positions. Green Bay pays Aaron Rodgers $110 million. When you pay all of that money to one player, then he gets hurt, of course the team is going to struggle. I've had a number of Vikings fans come up to me and say "your success is dependent on one player." Ya no ***, his salary matches that of Rhodes, Smith, Joseph, and Hunter on your defense. Take away those four players, the equivalent for us to lose Rodgers, and see how well the Vikings perform.  

2 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

I think vikesfan89’s point was GB has a nice offense, but replace Rodgers with Keenum, and how good would it actually be?  In other words, he/she was questioning the actual talent on the Packers offense, sans Rodgers.

In general, I hate talking in terms of hypotheticals.  Why even go there - so many variables to consider - it’s much more complex than “remove Rodgers and plug in Keenum and what do you have?”  

Several posts above this talk in hypotheticals - unless you can somehow quantify exactly how X player would do with a new team,  new coaching staff, new venue, new weather, new vibe, chemistry with his teammates, etc etc etc.  Screw talking in hypotheticals.

Cousins was a bad call away from 325 yards 3 TDs and 2 INTs and a big L so don't act like the Packers defense was terrible.  

Now THERE'S a perspective I can live with :)

I don't think keenum will have that kind of success again yet the Vikings went 13 and 3 with him. What does that say about the Vikings talent? Simian looked like crap this preseason but so did case last year. I don't know how well they'd do without cousins but they'd win some games

Did the Packers decide that the game was over despite what the score board said so they stopped playing?

33 minutes ago, MaryTsraining3s said:

I don't think we should just be limiting it to "if a team loses their starting QB." Teams like Tennessee can lose Mariotta and still perform decent because they don't have a ton of money tied into him yet and still are able to spread it around to other positions. Green Bay pays Aaron Rodgers $110 million. When you pay all of that money to one player, then he gets hurt, of course the team is going to struggle. I've had a number of Vikings fans come up to me and say "your success is dependent on one player." Ya no ***, his salary matches that of Rhodes, Smith, Joseph, and Hunter on your defense. Take away those four players, the equivalent for us to lose Rodgers, and see how well the Vikings perform.  

It's not like Bradford was making peanuts. It remains to be seen how they do with cousins contact but they signed most of the key players that needed new contracts

Archived