Wk 2 postgame: GB 29 •MIN 29 (OT)

Cakeshoppe

Body tackling has become quite the norm actually. Catapult yourself at the runners waist. Depending on the DB and the momentum disadvantage etc, I gotta think an arm and shoulder tackle on some of these powerful Rb's might hurt a bit, and most likely the collision means you are gonna get dragged a bit as well. Don't know if it's right or wrong, but I can kind of see why they do it. It does keep your arms, elbows, hands and fingers out of harms way.

1 minute ago, Cheech said:

False.

I can tell you just going off memory that's how Shields, Randall, Rollins and Hayward tackled a majority of the time. DBs throw their bodies at legs of ball carriers a lot. 

Theme if this week must be "let's make something out of nothing regarding our safeties."

Bigger fish to fry with this team. HHCD and Brice are fine.

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Bigger fish to fry with this team. HHCD and Brice are fine.

Normal Collar, find a new slant.

Lot of response/pushback to my post about it being a "piss poor" performance overall. @incognito_man It's not panic mode, there's still good players and good ideas out there, but this overall unit failed its first chance to prove itself as a good unit.  So, despite some bright spots, I would consider blowing a >90% game on 3 occasions a total team failure.

The point I'm trying to raise is that the defensive unit suffered a complete meltdown.  Of course part of that reason was the King injury.  The biggest issue I have is that following the significant injury, the unit completely failed in their overall mission to stop the opposing threatening players.  Vikings managed to beat us in basically the only manner which would work - throwing to Diggs..  Brice made an absolute meltdown of a play vs the Diggs 75 yarder, and failed again vs the Thielen TD, and no one else could hang with the receivers in the 2nd half even though the Vikings were in pure obvious pass mode and it was clear what their intentions would be.

There were certainly some really bright spots from this defense even last week.  Enough that I'm confident that this defense when healthy is at least average. 

The issue was that the unit didn't work well overall - the "coach-position group-player" translation failed and you can blame things on both playcalling AND execution.  The outcome was they blew a huge lead.  The offense also failed to convert TDs that would have sealed the game, but I didn't see the same kind of complete meltdown that the defense suffered in the 2nd half.

The team had a significant lead, a large enough lead to close out the game, and the defense gave it up, and they gave it up quickly.  20-7 with a few mins in the 3rd,  Up 8 needing 1 stop late in the 4th.@Pugger this team is the one that gave the game away first.  Minny only has a chance to feel disappointed with the Tie after GB surrenders the chance to get to OT.

Fennell isn't some resurrected journalist. He's got as much credibility as I do (except I don't get my gifs by pointing my phone at the TV).

There's no reason to think he's right about anything technique wise (In this instance he is correct that HHCD is tackling with poor form. What isn't getting reported here is that pretty much every DB in the NFL tackles like that, especially on bigger ball carriers.

26 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Normal Collar, find a new slant.

Lot of response/pushback to my post about it being a "piss poor" performance overall. @incognito_man It's not panic mode, there's still good players and good ideas out there, but this overall unit failed its first chance to prove itself as a good unit.  So, despite some bright spots, I would consider blowing a >90% game on 3 occasions a total team failure.

The point I'm trying to raise is that the defensive unit suffered a complete meltdown.  Of course part of that reason was the King injury.  The biggest issue I have is that following the significant injury, the unit completely failed in their overall mission to stop the opposing threatening players.  Vikings managed to beat us in basically the only manner which would work - throwing to Diggs..  Brice made an absolute meltdown of a play vs the Diggs 75 yarder, and failed again vs the Thielen TD, and no one else could hang with the receivers in the 2nd half even though the Vikings were in pure obvious pass mode and it was clear what their intentions would be.

There were certainly some really bright spots from this defense even last week.  Enough that I'm confident that this defense when healthy is at least average. 

The issue was that the unit didn't work well overall - the "coach-position group-player" translation failed and you can blame things on both playcalling AND execution.  The outcome was they blew a huge lead.  The offense also failed to convert TDs that would have sealed the game, but I didn't see the same kind of complete meltdown that the defense suffered in the 2nd half.

The team had a significant lead, a large enough lead to close out the game, and the defense gave it up, and they gave it up quickly.  20-7 with a few mins in the 3rd,  Up 8 needing 1 stop late in the 4th.@Pugger this team is the one that gave the game away first.  Minny only has a chance to feel disappointed with the Tie after GB surrenders the chance to get to OT.

I can't call the performance "piss poor" when we're sitting after 45 mins of football allowing 7 points and we twice forced the game winning turnover on back to back drives to clinch a win, only to have the NFL rob us.

No question they ran out of gas late. I was in that bowl baking alive in the sun, I can only imagine playing in it. That was a hell of a conditioning session. We'll be better for it.

42 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

The point I'm trying to raise is that the defensive unit suffered a complete meltdown. 

The only thing I can offer is that this was not a Capers defense type meltdown.

Barring injury and the ability to overcome our $20 million dollar OLB's, we are going to get better every week

Archived