Wk 2 postgame: GB 29 •MIN 29 (OT)

Cakeshoppe

From Ben Fennell at The Athletic

"DE/OLB Reggie Gilbert saw considerable action vs the Vikings, playing in 34 of 73 total snaps. But the interesting aspect was where he was lining up. Gilbert saw 12 snaps as the 3-technique defensive lineman which is a position aligned in the B-gap, outside of the offensive guard.

This tells me the Packers are looking for – not only disruption from interior players – but activity from a quicker player. Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark, Muhammad Wilkerson can generate a push and collapse the pocket, but they are traditionally “slow-burn” pass rushers who take a few seconds to get home"

Packers have been looking to find an interior rusher with some wiggle since Peppers and Jones left

32 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

From Ben Fennell at The Athletic

"DE/OLB Reggie Gilbert saw considerable action vs the Vikings, playing in 34 of 73 total snaps. But the interesting aspect was where he was lining up. Gilbert saw 12 snaps as the 3-technique defensive lineman which is a position aligned in the B-gap, outside of the offensive guard.

This tells me the Packers are looking for – not only disruption from interior players – but activity from a quicker player. Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark, Muhammad Wilkerson can generate a push and collapse the pocket, but they are traditionally “slow-burn” pass rushers who take a few seconds to get home"

Packers have been looking to find an interior rusher with some wiggle since Peppers and Jones left

This tells me we had 12 plays in the pressure package last week.

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

boxscore says minny was 7-14 on 3rd downs, so we know they had (14)  3rd downs to work with out of 72 offensive plays

Don't have the number off the top of my head, but I'm guessing you had a half dozen 3rd and shorts. Cancel those out with 2nd and 10+ and you get those reps

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Vikes_Bunch_1.png

This had to be my WTF Pettine moment. This is the very definition of losing by allignment. You have to call off whatever blitz you've got going on there when you see that formation.

Pettine and OC DeFillipo worked together in Cleveland and they knew each other's philosophies intimately.
I am guessing there was quite a chess match going on all game long

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

And we badly lost that exchange

Ironically, for all we know, we stop that play and Carlson drills the 54-yarder and wins the game for Minny. 

Maybe Pettine knew he just had to get them within 40 yards and Carlson would miss....

All I heard all offseason, especially from Viking fans, was that MN was overall SO much more talented than GB aside from the QB position. Yet GB tied ( and really should have won multiple times) despite the QB playing injured and at like 75% effectiveness, without their Best play-making RB, and #1 CB for much of the game.

What gives? Gotta assume the talent gap was exaggerated pretty greatly.

3 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

All I heard all offseason, especially from Viking fans, was that MN was overall SO much more talented than GB aside from the QB position. Yet GB tied ( and really should have won multiple times) despite the QB playing injured and at like 75% effectiveness, without their Best play-making RB, and #1 CB for much of the game.

Both teams' offenses really played well, and GB got a ST TD.  Minny O didn't take off till the 2nd half, and Minny D managed to not completely fold when under pressure in the 2nd half.

GB had home field "advantage" but got a bit jobbed by the refs so that balanced out.

49 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Agree, and the NFL experts actually pushed the Vikes higher in their ratings and the Packers lower......14 games to go for the Packers to win the division to the surprise of experts but not to their fans.

14 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Yea it's a lazy line of thinking, reinforced by the brainless media hacks that aren't smart enough to realize QB's like Hundley/Tolzien/etc make their teams look worse just as much as QB's like Arod make their team look better. Not to mention the challenges of playing with 30-40% of your salary cap on IR. 

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Shiny new toy syndrome.  I mean, last year we saw things go about as bad as they possibly could for the Packers, and as good as they possibly could for the Vikings.

We were without our best RB, and our best player and QB was hobbled. Our defensive scheme was 2 weeks old, and we have young players that should improve between now and playoff time. We played our azz off and faded, maybe partly from being bent over and reamed by the refs for 60 minutes. I still think we deserved that win. Vikings fans can say what they like, but after that game, they gotta have some concerns

Archived