Are the Steelers done?

El Ramster

Just now, Nozizaki said:

If you're not familiar with Pythagorean wins, you can read up on it. In my opinion it's a better indicator of how "good" a team is than wins and losses.

I'm aware of it... I didn't notice the link in the other post.

Pythagorean wins aren't indicative of reality. It's a flawed metric that isn't capable of taking a lot of things into account. I'm not even arguing that the Steelers were as good as their 13 wins... but the Pythagorean wins Theory doesn't prove they shouldn't have won 13 games... just that they may not have been as good as they appeared on paper... which in the end doesn't mean much. Even without the Pythagorean wins metric, I would come to the conclusion that the Steelers we're probably an eight to ten win team this year... But after seeing our defense and our schedule... Six wins could happen too

It looks like a team that's ready for a roster overhaul soon. But for this season, they can still win their division and win a playoff game. The problem with the Steelers is they always play down to competition which costs them in playoff seeding when they lose to teams they shouldn't lose to. 

31 minutes ago, Lilseb93 said:

It looks like a team that's ready for a roster overhaul soon. But for this season, they can still win their division and win a playoff game. The problem with the Steelers is they always play down to competition which costs them in playoff seeding when they lose to teams they shouldn't lose to. 

Seeding isnt the issue at all.    In literally every playoff game over the last 4 years, the biggest issues that held us back have been lack of discipline, lack of consistency (all around) and the inability to learn from past mistakes.

Im not saying the seeding couldnt have helped, but its not even close to the biggest issue.   The road to the SB usually goes through NE, and regardless of where we play them, they own us.

Steelers are like the Lebron Cavs. Lots of drama, play down to the competition and can have ugly losses but when you have that talent and experience they should never be counted or in a single elimination league. They have a good O Line, two WRs that can break a game open and two good RBs. Clean up the defensive communication quick and they’ll be ok. Maybe not as much of an AFC favorite as some had hoped but shouldn’t be counted out. They do need to get on track though as the division is improved and they don’t want to be a 5 or 6 seed and I don’t think the AFC is as bad as some say. 

Either way they are games in and veteran teams that don’t take the preseason and September seriously can look sloppy. One game was in terrible conditions against a Browns team that played another preseason contender strong  and then they played a KC team that is an awesome offense with a QB no one has figured out and the sloppy things like bad communication from starting slow dug them in a bad hole

Overreaction imo. The Chiefs would probably light up the Jags right now. Thats how good they are on offense. And the Brown game was a weather disaster of a game.

This seems to happen every year. They'll drop 2-3 games early and we all freak out but then theyll go on a winning streak. I damn sure dont trust Flacco or Cincy to dethrone them in that division.

The Steelers under Tomlin have always been a loose, unprofessional bunch who have gotten by on their talent alone.  The loss of Shazier has definitely hurt their defense (which already wasn't great even with him) and the entire team is filled with prima donnas who are whiny and unprofessional.  But that's nothing new, and they've proven they can still be serious contenders year after year despite the silliness.  This year I expect them to get things straightened out as usual, but that defense is clearly the most concerning thing. 

It is interesting to me to see how this team handles the early adversity of 2018 because they are a classic front-runner and everything is all "Cumbaya" when they are winning, but when things don't go their way they (Big Ben, AB, etc) start whining and acting out with all the drama.  Kind of reminds me of Cam tbh... 

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Seeding isnt the issue at all.    In literally every playoff game over the last 4 years, the biggest issues that held us back have been lack of discipline, lack of consistency (all around) and the inability to learn from past mistakes.

Im not saying the seeding couldnt have helped, but its not even close to the biggest issue.   The road to the SB usually goes through NE, and regardless of where we play them, they own us.

Tomlin is the worst coach in the league when it comes to making adjustments during a game or adjustments after a game/learn from their mistakes. I feel like PITT vs NE is literally the same game every year. Like im watching a rerun. 

21 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Tomlin is the worst coach in the league when it comes to making adjustments during a game or adjustments after a game/learn from their mistakes. I feel like PITT vs NE is literally the same game every year. Like im watching a rerun. 

I don't know if I go quite that far, but I agree for the most part.

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

tbf if the steelers pats game from last year was played this year it’d be steelers 31-27

6 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Overreaction imo. The Chiefs would probably light up the Jags right now. Thats how good they are on offense. And the Brown game was a weather disaster of a game.

This seems to happen every year. They'll drop 2-3 games early and we all freak out but then theyll go on a winning streak. I damn sure dont trust Flacco or Cincy to dethrone them in that division.

I'd agree with this on the Chiefs offense.  People don't know how to play Mahomes yet.  Is he a running QB that you got to keep eyes on?  Is he a gunslinger where forcing him to make throws pays off?  Is he a 1 read-checkdown QB?  We don't know yet.  There's not enough tape on him to be able to pin down what the best defense is.  Look at Watson so far: Teams know keep him in the pocket and play 2 deep safeties.  He hasn't made the mid range throws to the point you fear it.  But that's because there's now enough film on him for defenses to know how to defend him.

Archived