NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

5 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

Frank Reich resting most starters against the Bears. Good no need to have key players injured over a meaningless game.

Mcvay has changed the game. Before him

this was never a thing besides maybe just Ladian Tomlinson.. No player(s) would sit 4 pre season games.

sheeesh. 

2 hours ago, Starless said:

Did you just start following the NFL in 2016 or something? This is common practice, especially among highly valuable players.

Lies. No coach has sat all their starters for 4 ore season games. Not B.B. not anyone friend. And those are facts. One player or 2 sure.. But never all 4 games and all the starters on both sides of the ball. Common practice? My butt cheeks.

Edited by ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI

9 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

@Broncofan - How good is Chubb? Where would you rank him so to speak in DEs?

Chubb's rookie season is a bit misleading - because about 6-7 of his sacks were after the 3+ sec mark.  He basically got coverage / high effort no-quit sacks.  While I have issues with PFF's rating system because it doesn't account for competition faced (it assumes everyone is equal), I can see why they didn't rate him that highly compared to the other standout rookies.  He was supposed to be a stalwart against the run in setting the edge (and I think he'll be that guy), but he wasn't special there, just OK.  I expect that to improve, given his college tape & skill profile.    Now we also faced a cream puff OL schedule last year (which actually should have driven his rating down even further).  Don't get me wrong, he was solid - but there's no way he should have been in the same tier in RoY voting as Leonard, James, or even LVE/Ward.  Nothing at all against him, but he was clearly a Robin to Von's Batman.  At the same time, I don't think anyone can say he was disappointing at all, either, even with the top 5 draft capital spent.  It just wasn't a difference-maker (not that he was supposed to be that type of guy), like a franchise QB on a rookie-level deal can bring.

This offseason, though, it's already apparent Chubb has some extra spice to his game - he's beat a couple of LT's (backups, yes) with double-moves with 2.5 sec timed arrivals at the QB for sacks.   The extra move is what he's learned from Miller.  THAT is reason to be intrigued.  If he can be a solo pass rush threat on his own, then the ceiling becomes special-player level.   As it is, worst-case I see him more as a high-floor, very-good but not great talent ceiling.  The high-floor means barring injury, he won't bust out like Solomon Thomas (to be fair, miscast as a DE in that scheme).   It's just whether or not he'll be a franchise-fortune changer (which is unfair, but when you are in perennial search mode for a QB...that's the impact).

The best comp I can give to him is a post-surgery Clowney like talent with high-motor traits - he's going to excel so long as he has a Watt/Miller/Mack type talent, as the 1B guy.   If he can develop the 2nd move and hand-fighting ability to overcome his not-quite-elite burst, then he could be more than a post-surgery Clowney-ceiling.  There's nothing wrong with that at all - but TBH, I still kinda wish we went after QB (Gettleman refusing to even take a phone call from Elway to trade back so we could snag Darnold still haunts us).   I say that fully endorsing Rosen as one of those picks (wanted Darnold first & foremost, but was OK with Rosen after that), which the jury's still out on, and who knows what happens behind an OL that's not historically worst-in-league-and-most-other-years.  But at least Chubb is making the 1.5 pick look good in a vacuum (1.6 Nelson looks like the steal of the top 10, though - such a special talent).  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1