NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

On 3/30/2019 at 4:46 AM, PapaShogun said:

It seems like the pipe dream regarding the Texans wearing the Houston Oilers uniforms will remain just that. At least according to Titans owner Amy Adams Strunk.

I am hoping this is just posturing on her end and she's setting up for an eight figure sale for the rights to this jersey... Hopefully, Cal McNair can cut a $10mm check and get the rights to that jersey/color scheme. 

Cal McNair would make his money back on jersey sales within a week - I know I'd buy a Watson, Hopkins and Watt Oilers jersey the first day they came out.

What position do you think Watt and Mack line up in, predominantly? Obviously they are ends, but would you call then just DEs, or Edge defenders, of 5 tech, or just...what? I never know how to refer to these types of players. Players like Miller are clearly 'EDGE', but with ones like Watt who can also line up inside, I have no idea how to refer to them.

What do you say?

51 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What position do you think Watt and Mack line up in, predominantly? Obviously they are ends, but would you call then just DEs, or Edge defenders, of 5 tech, or just...what? I never know how to refer to these types of players. Players like Miller are clearly 'EDGE', but with ones like Watt who can also line up inside, I have no idea how to refer to them.

What do you say?

I've always thought of Watt as a 5 Tech.

On 3/30/2019 at 4:46 AM, PapaShogun said:

The people in Nashville don't have a connect with those uniforms, and a lot of the franchise legends like Warren Moon, Earl Campbell, or Alvin Betha never played in that city either.

They were the Tennessee Oilers for two years with those jerseys. McNair and George got their careers started in those jerseys while in Tennesse. So they definitely have an - albeit short - history with the franchise in Tennessee. 

1 hour ago, pwny said:

They were the Tennessee Oilers for two years with those jerseys. McNair and George got their careers started in those jerseys while in Tennesse. So they definitely have an - albeit short - history with the franchise in Tennessee. 

While true, I don't think anyone really identifies McNair or George as "Oilers". They're the foundation of the Titans, I doubt anyone even has any George/McNair memorabilia that has the Oil derrick logo on it.

Conversely - guys like Warren Moon, Earl Campbell, Robert Brazille, Elvin Bethea, Mike Munchak, Bruce Matthews, they never played a down in Tennessee (Munchak and Matthews coached in Tennessee, but those aren't part of their legacies). Those guys made their mark in Houston, would be nice to celebrate those legacies in the city with the current Houston team.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

While true, I don't think anyone really identifies McNair or George as "Oilers". They're the foundation of the Titans, I doubt anyone even has any George/McNair memorabilia that has the Oil derrick logo on it.

Conversely - guys like Warren Moon, Earl Campbell, Robert Brazille, Elvin Bethea, Mike Munchak, Bruce Matthews, they never played a down in Tennessee (Munchak and Matthews coached in Tennessee, but those aren't part of their legacies). Those guys made their mark in Houston, would be nice to celebrate those legacies in the city with the current Houston team.

3rd overall pick with the Oilers. I'm sure there's plenty of McNair memorabilia for the old Oilers.

I dunno, I get it from a sentimental perspective for people who were fans of whatever team is in the city, not the franchise, but....the Titans were the Oilers. Of course the Titans would have those throwbacks, if anyone did, not the Texans. It's like saying the Ravens should have a white and blue throwback with a horse on it. City =/= franchise.

18 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Then why not do what Baltimore has done? They didn’t need to wear Colts jerseys to put Johnny Unitas, Lenny Moore, Art Donovan, Jim Parker, Raymond Berry, Ted Hendricks, John Mackey and Gino Marchetti in the Ravens Ring of Honor and celebrate their contributions to the city’s history, nor was the horseshoe and blue and white needed to effectively retire #19. 

3 hours ago, pwny said:

True to a degree. I'll just nitpick a little and say that the Tennessee Oilers were actually only in the city of Nashville for only one year, 1998. The season before they played over 200 miles away in Memphis at the Liberty Bowl, where no one really cared. So...if you're a Nashville resident, I guess if you really want to claim yourself as an Oilers fan from that 1998 season because the Oilers played in Nashville, well you can do that :D

They never wore the all blue though in Nashville interestingly. I think it was all white for the entire 1998 season. 

1 hour ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

I would consider paying $1,000 to sit in on team with lots of draft picks....Patriots, Raiders, Packers, Giants, would all be fun I think. 

$1000 seems fair if you get to yell at them for dumb picks.

• Like 1