NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

6 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

If they were attempting to trade for OBJ and Brown, dont see the money being a problem.

I don't know how much I buy that. OBJ's signing bonus alone was more than our entire cap space (even before Gronk retired). We'd have had to move our entire defence a long :D

Edited by Hunter2_1

21 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Finding that shiny franchise QB is a very fleeting goal for most teams in the league eh

Yeah, and if a team is possibly willing to replace a first rounder one year in, naturally quite a few teams would be willing to take a shot with him.

22 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I will seriously curse Arizona with the force of 10,000 Suns if they trade Rosen to New England.

Which, you know... 10,000 Suns would probably be a chilly day out there.

Had a premonition...

1. Arizona selects Nick Bosa

It was a smoke screen! Media hyped us. They decide to role with Rosen, and add a pass rushing talent.

2. TRADE! Raiders ears have pricked up, and SF are keen to trade out, who had eyes for Nick. MIA and NYG try, but Raiders have too much captial, and they didn't want to be usurped by MIA. Gruden has recently mentioned he's giving up the tired trope of short QBs - he's been swayed by the likes of Wilson. SF to 4. Raiders pick Kyler Murray

3. Undeterred, NYJ consider Allen but can't resist sticking another Williams (Quinnen) in there

4. SF, being smart, realise they're still in a good position with the earlier trade, and STILL take a push rusher in Josh Allen

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Had a premonition...

1. Arizona selects Nick Bosa

It was a smoke screen! Media hyped us. They decide to role with Rosen, and add a pass rushing talent.

2. TRADE! Raiders ears have pricked up, and SF are keen to trade out, who had eyes for Nick. MIA and NYG try, but Raiders have too much captial, and they didn't want to be usurped by MIA. Gruden has recently mentioned he's giving up the tired trope of short QBs - he's been swayed by the likes of Wilson. SF to 4. Raiders pick Kyler Murray

3. Undeterred, NYJ consider Allen but can't resist sticking another Williams (Quinnen) in there

4. SF, being smart, realise they're still in a good position with the earlier trade, and STILL take a push rusher in Josh Allen

Lets elope 

I would absolutely LOVE this. I want allen over bosa for the 49ers, this is my dream scenario honestly. 

• Like 1

It seems like the pipe dream regarding the Texans wearing the Houston Oilers uniforms will remain just that. At least according to Titans owner Amy Adams Strunk.

Tennessee Titans controlling owner Amy Adams Strunk won't be letting the Texans don Oilers throwback jerseys anytime soon.

While both J.J. Watt and DeAndre Hopkins have recently expressed interestin wearing the throwbacks, Adams Strunk shot down any possibility of that happening during an interview with Paul Kuharsky of paulkurharsky.com.

"Very interesting, except the Oilers don't have anything to do with the Texans," Adams Strunk said. "So that's a hard no."

Adams Strunk added that the Titans themselves may end up wearing the throwback jerseys.

"I think that would be something I would take to the fans," Adams Strunk said. "If they were on board and excited. So many people love those uniforms. Maybe we'll put a survey out there and sometime if they loved it and wanted it to happen, I'm sure we could make it happen."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/29/titans-owner-hard-no-texans-wearing-oilers-throwback-jerseys?utm_source=reddit.com

This isn't really anything new, but I still think the entire situation is a shame. The Titans could wear the uniforms obviously, but it's just awkward. The people in Nashville don't have a connect with those uniforms, and a lot of the franchise legends like Warren Moon, Earl Campbell, or Alvin Betha never played in that city either. From what I gather, the Texans can't even make their own uniform with the same color scheme. The Titans organization even owns that. Too bad, this image has been floating around as concept art, and it looks really cool to me:

ih6ncx8c40p21.jpg

It's sad that one of the best uniforms in NFL history (actually I think it's the best football uniform I've ever seen in the pros) is basically a relic in purgatory due to political strife. 

• Like 4

Recently I was randomly thinking about former NFL wide receiver Troy Edwards. Remember him? He was the 13th overall pick in the 1999 NFL Draft, selected by the Steelers. Edwards had an incredible career at LA Tech, including a senior season in 1998 where he hauled in 140 catches for 1996 yards, and 27 touchdowns. In the season opener that year against Nebraska, he had 21 catches for 405 yards, the most ever by a collegiate player. Even though it was at LA Tech, he still put up remarkable numbers. Unfortunately he never panned out in the pros, and bounced around a few teams before leaving the NFL. I found this article from 2016, which was an interview with him by SB Nation along with The Pittsburgh Sports Daily Bulletin:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2016/6/29/12040612/how-former-pittsburgh-steelers-wr-troy-edwards-blames-his-own

Basically, he credits his downfall in the pros to not really knowing how to be a professional until later in his career when he went to the Rams. He thought he knew everything as a young guy, and that just wasn't the case obviously. Also, the NFL just wasn't a big deal to him whether it worked out or not. I guess if he couldn't hack it, he wouldn't dwell on it. Which I guess is a good thing in one respect, but it may have hurt his attention to detail when it came to trying to be a pro. He has a better appreciation for coaches now, and how they have to do their best to manage a ton of different personalities from younger or older players. Anyway, just thought it was an interesting read. Too bad he didn't work out. He did have a stellar college career though, which most people that do compete at that level can't even say. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 2