NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

On 8/2/2019 at 4:06 PM, Forge said:

I am not sure how I feel about this at all. 

I can tell you how I feel. I don't like it. It detracts from the value of the players from the older eras who did make it.

On 8/3/2019 at 12:53 AM, TraBuch said:

Will Patrick Willis be a first ballot hall of famer?

First ballot? No, because his career was so short. He'll get in, just not first ballot.

On 8/2/2019 at 9:42 PM, NVRamsFan said:

Just one off the top of my head that should be in. Isaac Bruce.

I think he'll make it in eventually but he'll probably be waiting a while. He was a part of the GSOT, but I really do feel like most people viewed Holt as the superior receiver.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 1:28 AM, Bearerofnews said:

Why do fans complain about too much football? Am i the only one who would want football to be on 7 days of the week.  Atleast 1 game.

It's fine the way it is now. You don't want it to become baseball. It's like having a clingy girlfriend who never lets you have time to do you stuff.

Also consider a lot of people like College Football. Putting it on every day of the week would make scheduling fairly more difficult based off rest times.

14 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:
14 hours ago, showtime said:

How was Drew Brees rated the second best player in the entire league on that top 100 list?  Aaron Donald was #1 and I understand that.  Brees wasn't better than Patrick Mahomes.

Sentimentality and probably some line of thinking , He would of made the SB and possibly won it without the botch DPI.

Not sure?

Drew Brees has been putting up good numbers for a lot longer than Mahomes. It's a list put together by the players and I'm sure a lot of them like to know the player(s) they're vouching for aren't 1 year wonders. He has to do it a couple of times before they're ready to put him up on a pedestal.

21 minutes ago, Danger said:

I think he'll make it in eventually but he'll probably be waiting a while. He was a part of the GSOT, but I really do feel like most people viewed Holt as the superior receiver.

I think he gets criminally underrated. It cracks me up you'll see a lot of the people here who endorse Gore for the Hall based off his volume stats also hold Ike's longevity against him. Lets not forget when he retired the only WR ahead of him was that guy named Rice. 

2 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

I think he gets criminally underrated. It cracks me up you'll see a lot of the people here who endorse Gore for the Hall based off his volume stats also hold Ike's longevity against him. Lets not forget when he retired the only WR ahead of him was that guy named Rice. 

Bruce has more of a claim than Gore IMO. I voted no for Gore.

• Like 1

Evaluating RB vs WR based on where they stand on their position’s all-time yardage list is extremely problematic. When Bruce retired, how many notable receivers played the game (and in pass heavy offenses at that)? How many notable receivers played the game up until Gore retired (which hasn’t happened yet so it includes every rb ever)?

There were so many notable running backs in the 60-80’s and only so notable many receivers.

If you think Bruce is better than Gorr, fine, but use a measurement that is far less problematic than this.

On 8/3/2019 at 12:29 AM, Bearerofnews said:

Do i have the highest percentage of edited post on here. I feel like 99.3% of my posted are edited.

I edit 100% of my stuff, but I have the option of not leaving a edit notification on mine.

It's all about that Mod life... :D

• Like 2

18 hours ago, showtime said:

How was Drew Brees rated the second best player in the entire league on that top 100 list?  Aaron Donald was #1 and I understand that.  Brees wasn't better than Patrick Mahomes.

People forget that this is the equivalent of the "How are we doing?" feedback survey a company gives out to their employees. Maybe 20% of NFL players fill this out with actual thought behind it. There's probably a good 10% of players who completely screwed with the results (listing every K or P, backup QBs, etc). That leaves us with 70% of players, who probably complete it with little thought behind it and/or heavily skewed by their own bias.

In theory, this Top 100 list "by the players" is a great idea. In practice, you're just as good getting a major journalist from every NFL city to come up with a list. (Or get a list from 32 coaches, or GMs - that actually might be pretty cool). 

The only thing Ben needs to prove is that he's still a very good QB at 37 years old, but this is the case for every old QB in the NFL .... Ben was very good before the killer B's era and he was winning more, but so this is not the first time in his career he's going to play without them.

Kirk Cousins has a lot more to prove than Ben this year ... Not even close.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:
The only thing Ben needs to prove is that he's still a very good QB at 37 years old, but this is the case for every old QB in the NFL .... Ben was very good before the killer B's era and he was winning more, but so this is not the first time in his career he's going to play without them.

Not sure why Ben is there, he has nothing more to prove than any of the other over 35 year olds playing QB.

Carr should probably be #1. He might be fighting to keep his starting job. Murray will be given time and Jackson is more of a long term project as a passer and a dual threat at the moment with more emphasis on his legs than the average dual threat QB. Bell doesn't need to prove anything, He didn't even average 4 yards per carry his last season, he will catch a lot and run a lot and accumulate bulk stats.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Not sure why Ben is there, he has nothing more to prove than any of the other over 35 year olds playing QB.

Carr should probably be #1. He might be fighting to keep his starting job. Murray will be given time and Jackson is more of a long term project as a passer and a dual threat at the moment with more emphasis on his legs than the average dual threat QB. Bell doesn't need to prove anything, He didn't even average 4 yards per carry his last season, he will catch a lot and run a lot and accumulate bulk stats.

I say Kirk Cousins, but QBs as Dak Prescott, Carson Wentz (He needs to prove he can stay healthy for a full season) Jimmy G, Mariota are also QBs who have things to prove this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelersfan43 said:

I say Kirk Cousins, but QBs as Dak Prescott, Carson Wentz (He needs to prove he can stay healthy for a full season) Jimmy G, Mariota are also QBs who have things to prove this year.

I think it's pretty clear what you are getting from Dak, 25 TD-10 INT and 3500 yards. He doesn't really have anything to prove. As far as Wentz proving to stay healthy is kind of like the older QBs proving they still have it and I wouldn't include them if I were making my own list, it would just be about proving that they are worth getting paid or keeping their job like Jimmy G, Mariota and Carr. Kirk is another one who has proven who he is already, if you expect him to carry your team to a win then you are going to be disappointed but he'll have a high completion percentage and good numbers overall, he just doesn't take it up a notch when needed like you want with your QB. He will prove to be who he already is so there really isn't much to prove.

4 hours ago, Steelersfan43 said:

Mariota, Winston, Carr and Rosen have SIGNIFICANTLY more to prove, IMO.

• Like 2