NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

Just now, ET80 said:

Very. Very, very, very.

I've only gone all in on a player four times: Adrian Peterson (hence the SN APeterson_Texan when I started here) JJ Watt, Trevor Lawrence and now... Howard. 

I'm 2/2, and pretty confident I'll keep my hitting streak going.

You have yet to see him play and at the time of the draft were very very upset with the pick. I know we've touched on this before, but I'm not sure I'm convinced you truely feel this way. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Danger said:

A bit misleading. Matt Ryan has consistently had more offensive talent as well as he's been playing in years that are more passing friendly. 

He has had the better receiving options, but Brees has had the better OLine by far.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Steve Wilks will be the main reason for Cleveland’s downfall.

It's possible

I don't think you can win in the NFLof today when you play almost only the zone defense, especially against great QB.We saw that with the Chargers last year or the Steelers in 2016 against Brady in the playoffs... It was a predictable result

25 minutes ago, Danger said:

You have yet to see him play and at the time of the draft were very very upset with the pick. I know we've touched on this before, but I'm not sure I'm convinced you truely feel this way. 

I had a similar response (and subsequent about face) for JJ Watt, too. It's actually a very good sign when I don't love a pick early on. (I wanted Cordarelle Patterson over DeAndre Hopkins, if that further draws the picture out).

I'd be less bullish, but I'm hearing that Howard is holding his own against JJ Watt and completely devastating DJ Reader out there. Maybe it's the vets taking it easy on the rookie (which would be SO FAR removed from how JJ Watt approaches football, Watt is a firm believer of going 150% any time he's got his pads on) but it's reminiscent of when Watt was destroying Eric Winston and giving Duane Brown headaches as a rookie. 

I'm sticking on this one. We'll come back to p 168 in a while, but I'll say it again - Tytus Howard will be the best OL from this draft, by a SIGNIFICANT margin.

7 hours ago, N4L said:

What exactly has he done that has been 'extremely impressive'? There hasn't even been one preseason game yet and he's said some weird things to the media 

Just curious and you don't have to answer this, how old are you? Lol it's been a looong time since the browns have had an 'impressive' hc imo so I can see why orange glasses and desperation can make you eat what the kitchen is cooking. None of this has anything to do with how well coached the browns will be this year but I am far from sold on kitchens and the rest of the browns coaching staff. 

557 months old. I've been impressed with everything I've seen. There hasn't been an actual game yet so that isn't included. The way he is handling the players and media are awesome though. I was around for Marty Schottenheimer who I loved even though the prevent defense really hurt his success rate.

I don't know what Freddie has said that has been crazy. That they would fire media leaks in the coaching staff? Of course you would and should. It's great to have inside information as a fan and know everything that's going on but that hasn't been the case since Dorsey was hired we're in the dark as much as anyone and it's great to see.

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

The dude is a hillbilly from Alabama. He’s not going to be a polished smooth talker that coastal media types like and are used to.

I thought for sure you were talking about me when I started reading your reply. I was going to correct you and say it's WV not Alabama until you started talking about how he spoke.

17 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:
24 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Steve Wilks will be the main reason for Cleveland’s downfall.

It's possible

I don't think you can win in the NFLof today when you play almost only the zone defense, especially against great QB.We saw that with the Chargers last year or the Steelers in 2016 against Brady in the playoffs... It was a predictable result

Well Freddie said he and his coaching staff have to be able to adjust how they do things and can't get stuck in their comfort zone because it's 2019 and the old way of coaching one way is a thing of the past, at least in Cleveland.

Otherwise, yeah I have concerns about Wilks and his scheme and hopefully it is more of a mixed bag than always a base big nickel zone defense.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Danger said:

A bit misleading. Matt Ryan has consistently had more offensive talent as well as he's been playing in years that are more passing friendly. 

Ryan has also been sacked 63 more times because his lines have been atrocious at times over the years. 

1 hour ago, Danger said:

It also includes the beginning portion of Brees's career when the Chargers were willing to pick up another 1st round QB and letting him go. While with the Chargers, Brees didn't have a single 4000 yard season, whereas this past season was his first as Saint without going over 4000 yards (still more yards than any Chargers year). Basically, Brees didn't become the Brees we know until he got to the Saints.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

Impossible

Andre Dillard will be the best OL from this draft, by a SIGNIFICANT margin. ^_^

If you want to drop that hot take, have at it.

I mean, you're wrong. But it's ok. ;)