NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Having seen plenty of him against the Browns, I think he’ll be just fine.

I personally think Ben is the key component to the success a lot of those WR’s have had.  As long as he’s there, JuJu will put up monster numbers.

Not crapping on AB or anyone else, but there’s always been someone putting up numbers as long as Ben’s been there, that’s all I’m saying. When someone leaves, the next guy steps in and beasts.

The Packers are also like this - Sterling Sharpe, Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman, Javon Walker, Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson and now Davante Adams. It's no coincidence that the QBs during those times were Favre and Rodgers. 

Steelers and Packers are WR factories - pretty much anyone they draft turns into a star (save for the odd Limas Sweed or Randall Cobb...)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm actually very confident in JSS taking a leap to a #1. The Steelers have always been good at finding talent and molding guys to a #1 spot, all without really using a 1st round pick on the position (I think Plaxico Burress was the last 1st round WR drafted by Pitt). Every year since Hines Ward, they had a guy who could be considered a legit #1.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Having seen plenty of him against the Browns, I think he’ll be just fine.

I personally think Ben is the key component to the success a lot of those WR’s have had.  As long as he’s there, JuJu will put up monster numbers.

Not crapping on AB or anyone else, but there’s always been someone putting up numbers as long as Ben’s been there, that’s all I’m saying. When someone leaves, the next guy steps in and beasts.

Great point and I believe the key is going to be how the other weapons will perform around JuJu, since JuJu can not do it alone, especially if he has a lot of double coverage

Our last first round pick for a WR by the steelers was Santonio Holmes in 2006..Before it was Buress in 2000.

• Like 1

Just now, ET80 said:

The Packers are also like this - Sterling Sharpe, Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman, Javon Walker, Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson and now Davante Adams. It's no coincidence that the QBs during those times were Favre and Rodgers. 

Steelers and Packers are WR factories - pretty much anyone they draft turns into a star (save for the odd Limas Sweed or Randall Cobb...)

As are the Saints, so we’re the Colts back in the day, the Pats always have a couple of guys producing....

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that teams with good QB’s seem to be “great at developing WR’s”.  It’s largely a position dependent on someone getting you the ball.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As are the Saints, so we’re the Colts back in the day, the Pats always have a couple of guys producing....

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that teams with good QB’s seem to be “great at developing WR’s”.  It’s largely a position dependent on someone getting you the ball.  

I'm hoping Houston gets on this list of WR factories - we're 2/2 with AJ and DeAndre, but Will Fuller is an incomplete at the moment. Dude can ball, but can't stay healthy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm hoping Houston gets on this list of WR factories - we're 2/2 with AJ and DeAndre, but Will Fuller is an incomplete at the moment. Dude can ball, but can't stay healthy.

I’m not on the DeShaun Watson bandwagon and never have been.

I realize at this point I’ll likely be muttering about his inevitable failure during his HOF induction, but I’m pot committed.

31 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:
35 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that teams with good QB’s seem to be “great at developing WR’s”.  It’s largely a position dependent on someone getting you the ball

They're not WR factories but Teams with arguably the best QB of thier Era's, you're right. That's the biggest contributor to those WR success. I Doubt the majority of those listed become anything remotely close to the players they were/are if say the Ryan Leafs, Jamarcus Russell's or even Dak Prescott's of the NFL were the QB!

Let's be real.

Edited by Nabbs4u

10 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Their not WR factories but Teams with arguably the best QB of thier Era's, you're right. That's the biggest contributor to those WR success. I Doubt the majority of those listed become anything remotely close to the players they were/are if say the Ryan Leafs, Jamarcus Russell's or even Dak Prescott's of the NFL were the QB!

Let's be real.

For sure.

Thats what makes the Megatrons and AJ Greens so impressive imo.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

For sure.

Thats what makes the Megatrons and AJ Greens so impressive imo.

There are a handful both listed above as well as Hopkins, Evans, Fitz (Majority of his career) ect, ect... that are the exceptions to the rule. Damn near every Legit #1 , HOF type Talent WR's you can think of, can be traced back to Great QB play. FQB type Players.

Not the other way around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not on the DeShaun Watson bandwagon and never have been.

AJ and Hopkins were ballers before Watson showed up (hell, AJ was retired by then). Those dudes were putting up numbers with guys like Matt Schaub and Case Keenum...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

They're not WR factories but Teams with arguably the best QB of thier Era's, you're right. That's the biggest contributor to those WR success. I Doubt the majority of those listed become anything remotely close to the players they were/are if say the Ryan Leafs, Jamarcus Russell's or even Dak Prescott's of the NFL were the QB!

Let's be real.

Other side of that coin is that we've seen Seattle, New Orleans and San Diego just plug in guys at WR and get production, while not ever developing a guy you'd feel comfortable putting in a top 5/10 discussion. (New Orleans recently found that guy in Michael Thomas, but I digress). I liked guys such as Doug Baldwin, Marquis Colston and Vincent Jackson but would I ever consider them a top 10 WR? Probably not. Yet, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers are in that top QB discussion.

Furthermore, I don't think the QBs in question are doing the same things they do with Kelvin Benjamin, Corey Coleman or Laquan Treadwell as their #1 WR. It's QB driven, sure - but it's also symbiotic in nature, you gotta get a guy who has to have some sort of toolset to work with.

So, there's SOMETHING to be said about the quality of the WR development in this equation.

19 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Furthermore, I don't think the QBs in question are doing the same things they do with Kelvin Benjamin, Corey Coleman or Laquan Treadwell as their #1 WR. It's QB driven, sure - but it's also symbiotic in nature, you gotta get a guy who has to have some sort of toolset to work with.

Benjamin couldn’t do anything with Mahomes in the six games he was here. He was targeted 5 times for 2 catches and 26yds. Some guys are just lazy, don’t have it, and don’t put in the work to be good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Damn near every Legit #1 , HOF type Talent WR's you can think of, can be traced back to Great QB play

Let's put this to the test. Top 10 WRs All Time, by yardage:

1. Rice - Yes, can trace his success to top QBs.

2. Fitzgerald - No, had maybe about 3-5 years of good QB play (depends on how you feel on Carson Palmer).

3. Terrell Owens - No, unless you're higher on Tony Romo than others.

4. Randy Moss - Outside of that 18-1 Patriots season? No, unless you think Jeff George and Randall Cunningham deserve mention. I know Daunte Culpeper doesn't deserve mention.

5. Isaac Bruce - 50/50; Had a great run as a #2 with Kurt Warner, but also had some pretty bad QB play leading up to that but still put up huge numbers.

6. Tim Brown - Along with Rice, he made journeyman Rich Gannon an MVP. Prior to that, you have a lot of Jeff Hostetler and... nothing.

7. Steve Smith - Joe Flacco is the benchmark here. Let that sink in. (Or a young Cam Newton if you're feeling generous).

8/9. Marvin Harrison/Reggie Wayne - No brainer.

10. Andre Johnson - As the resident AJ fan here, the answer is an emphatic no.

So, we got Rice, Harrison, Wayne. That's it. If the narrative is that too WRs are only made by top QBs, we need to update that narrative.

• Like 1