Week 3 GDT: Kansas City Chiefs vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

8 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

What's with the Garcon hate, did I miss something?? He didn't drop anything he should have caught today as far as I saw. I did see Jimmy G clearly overthrow him when he was wide open though. As far as taking targets away from the youngsters, well until they learn to play with some physicality and not get man-handled in press-man, Garcon will be needed. He's the only WR who isn't a world class sprinter who can deal with press-coverage. The rest just fold like a peice of tissue. Pettis didn't get targets because he didn't get open. The only guys that seem to consistently get separation and have a knack for creating a window for the QB are Goodwin, Kittle, and Garcon. The rest are very up and down. Garcon may not have the speed he once had, but just like we saw from Boldin, he just has the ability to create separation in man coverage through crafty route-routing. He's definitely still an asset to the offense. The only tough catch I remember him dropping was the one in the Vikings game. I haven't seen anything else that would warrant him being benched in favor of anyone else. 

He dropped a pass on the second drive where he alligator armed it. The other pass you are referring to was overthrown. Catchable? Possibly, but would have taken a tough catch to reel that one in. So no, that one wasn't on him as it was more so on Jimmy G overthrowing him. But Garcon has made how many tough catches? He's not one to get separation so those are the type of catches he needs to make. You reference Boldin, but he made a living on those types of catches in traffic. 

So are the other WRs struggling with the physicality of opposing DBs? Absolutely, but what exactly is Garcon doing? He's not really creating separation himself. And if he's not making tough catches, it is definitely fair to wonder if he deserves to play over the youngsters. 

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Offensive line hasn't played all that bad the last two games tbh. Our run blocking has been awesome and Jimmy G had good protection for the most part. A few times when Staley and McGlinchey got beat badly it was bad, but the other sacks were fine. He was actually throwing the ball away today unlike last week. 

There is no silver lining in him getting hurt. It is brutal. Our offense and Jimmy G seemed to finally be getting in rhythm and he tears his ACL. 

I'm all in getting a couple of edge rushers early and often next draft. 

But man I'm not sure we end up getting Bosa like some think. There are A LOT of pathetic teams this year. Going to have some fierce competition for the top pick. 

I know, but I'm saying he was getting beat up with the sacks he's taking due to the receivers not getting separation. In addition to him just not getting rid of the ball quickly sometimes. Just seemed like he was on track to get hurt sooner or later this year with the punishment he was being dealt. 

There is a silver lining. Better draft position. Before no one thought we could get a talent like Nick Bosa. Now it's a very real possibility. Or Ed Oliver. The entire draft class next year will be stacked with edge defender talent compared to this year. That alone will help the 49ers when they finish with a doo doo record.

I don't think there will be as many pathetic teams as the 49ers. Giants and Cardinals right now look like our biggest opposition. I don't think a team like Houston or Oakland are going to be that bad despite the 0-3 starts. 

Theres something else. Regardless of how the rest of the season plays out, I just hope this squad has more discipline moving forward. It's clear this team just isn't as attentive with all the penalties, and mistakes plaguing them. Yeah, the refs always dish out some dumb ones, but most of the time they are self inflicted. They almost let Detroit come back last week too. Richard Sherman seemed to be the only one really pissed off. Then you'll have little things like being down 35-7, Bourne catching a big pass, and getting up and hollering like he won the Super Bowl. Kyle needs to do a better job of keep his guys focused. 

I will say this....if Sherman is out for any extended amount of time, they need to play either Mabin or Moore on the boundary. Enough with Ward on the outside. Let him back-up FS for the rest of the year. Without Jimmy, it's pretty much a wrap. Let Moore develop and see what you have in Mabin. Makes no sense to keep playing a guy like Ward who isn't in your long-term plans and obviously isn't a great fit there. 

8 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I know, but I'm saying he was getting beat up with the sacks he's taking due to the receivers not getting separation. In addition to him just not getting rid of the ball quickly sometimes. Just seemed like he was on track to get hurt sooner or later this year with the punishment he was being dealt. 

There is a silver lining. Better draft position. Before no one thought we could get a talent like Nick Bosa. Now it's a very real possibility. Or Ed Oliver. The entire draft class next year will be stacked with edge defender talent compared to this year. That alone will help the 49ers when they finish with a doo doo record.

I don't think there will be as many pathetic teams as the 49ers. Giants and Cardinals right now look like our biggest opposition. I don't think a team like Houston or Oakland are going to be that bad despite the 0-3 starts. 

I don't know about that. Raiders are going to be bad all season, 4-5 win type of team. But I agree they probably beat us now and are slightly better. I'm not convinced about the Bills even after yesterday's win. So they will be in the hunt for the #1 pick. 

So there will be four or five teams along with us competing for the #1 pick.

Here is the thing, there are a lot of DL that will go in the first round, but the interior DL is far deeper than edge rushers this draft class. Oliver while phenomenal is a interior player and we have drafted plenty of those already. If we go with him, we will be getting a Pro Bowl player and likely an All Pro player, but man we will become the next Detroit Lions……But instead of taking WRs, we will be taking interior DL almost every draft in the first round lol. 

What were you thinking, Jimmy?!  Attempting to channel Steve?! Grrrrrrrr......>:(

First he takes sacks when he doesn't need to! Now he is hurt when he could have stepped out and been around for the next down.

He hasn't seemed to be playing as smart as he did last year. 

Once again, most of what we have to look forward to is the Draft. I was hoping this year would be at least a little different... :(

I think it’s totally unfair to blame jimmy, and frankly idiotic for his injury and I’m tired of seeing it. His acl tore on a hard cut, something he and many other people do thousands of times in a season. It’s dumb luck that be planted and just twisted the wrong way. He just needs to a wear a brace from here on out. 

12 minutes ago, John232 said:

I think it’s totally unfair to blame jimmy, and frankly idiotic for his injury and I’m tired of seeing it. His acl tore on a hard cut, something he and many other people do thousands of times in a season. It’s dumb luck that be planted and just twisted the wrong way. He just needs to a wear a brace from here on out. 

No, Jimmy deserves blame for his decision. You go out of bounds instead of trying to cut back against the grain, and barrel yourself into a defender like you're Cam Newton. You're the one guy on the team that absolutely cannot miss time, and stunts like that are what get you injured. Get what you can, and go out of bounds.

His football IQ overall has taken an absolute nosedive since last year. 2019 it's put up or shut up time. Zero excuses for lackluster play. 

30 minutes ago, John232 said:

Agreed. Yeah, he should've went out but it was a fluky injury that could happen to anyone. He didn't get hit on his knee. I just hope he can be the guy next year or else we're back to square 1.

39 minutes ago, John232 said:

I agree. it was a non contact injury. It had nothing to do with where he was on the field or the hit he took. Crazy to me that people are making such a big deal about him not going out of bounds. 

It was third and goal in the fourth quarter and we were down by 14. He was trying to find a way to get into the endzone 

From my understanding, when you tear your ACL in a non contact injury, it means it was only a matter of time before it happened. 

The bright side is that it happened early enough he will most likely be back before training camp, which means next season we should be able to hit the ground running on offense. Crazy that even if he plays 16 games next year he still won't have two seasons worth of starts and he will be heading into his 6th season in the NFL 

12 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Well I would say at least we didn't get blown out by the Bills.  Football is week to week...can't take anything for granted. Sucks about Jimmy but I'm one who has always believed that adversity brings teams/ppl together. On to the Chargers...

And that sounds all good and dandy, but we just lost our franchise QB. Usually when that happens the team has a HUGE drop off. And it isn't like we were a dominant team in the first place where we can overcome missing Jimmy G for a three or four week stretch, let alone for the remainder of the season. 

The season is all but over in terms of any playoff hopes. Now all we can hope for is the youngsters to progress and take the next step. 

26 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And that sounds all good and dandy, but we just lost our franchise QB. Usually when that happens the team has a HUGE drop off. And it isn't like we were a dominant team in the first place where we can overcome missing Jimmy G for a three or four week stretch, let alone for the remainder of the season. 

The season is all but over in terms of any playoff hopes. Now all we can hope for is the youngsters to progress and take the next step. 

I really want to see something more out of the youngsters on defense. This is something that is really concerning to me. The pass rush is a major issue, and obviously a better one (Bosa, Ferrell, etc) would help make the secondary better, but Spoon certainly hasn't looked great. Sherman looked good, but he'll be heading into his age 31 season, has had the achilles injury and now an unknown calf injury that could sideline him for a while, which means we need to certainly be looking at cornerback in the draft and free agency as well, particularly since I can't see us bringing back Ward. Colbert has not looked good at all this year, which means safety could be a need. Tartt has been a little inconsistent, and the injuries are starting to mount up. These are concerns for me. 

Archived