2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

I guess the real question with edge rushers at #12 is whether the 5th or 6th best rusher is still better than the second best OT or CB, or the best TE or safety.

Bosa, J.Allen, Gary, Ferrell, Polite may well all be gone in the first 11 picks. I'd be tempted by Polite or Ferrell, if they are still there, but you have to game a situation where those two and the others are gone beforehand, so you can deal with that on the day of the draft.

Assuming four edge guys are gone, if S Thompson, OT Little, TE Fant, CB Murphy and even LB Devin White and OT Williams are there with say, Polite and Sweat, which one is the best value for the Packers ?   If you drop a little on your board to get an edge rusher, how deep do you dive before you are hurting your franchise by leaving better ranked guys on the board. Unless Gute is a lot more open than TT about the draft process, I guess we will never get any clues as to how his 2019 board stacked up, so it will all be pure speculation on what their board rankings were.

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Assuming four edge guys are gone, if S Thompson, OT Little, TE Fant, CB Murphy and even LB Devin White and OT Williams are there with say, Polite and Sweat, which one is the best value for the Packers ?   If you drop a little on your board to get an edge rusher, how deep do you dive before you are hurting your franchise by leaving better ranked guys on the board. Unless Gute is a lot more open than TT about the draft process, I guess we will never get any clues as to how his 2019 board stacked up, so it will all be pure speculation on what their board rankings were.

I'd rank them in this scenario as:
1st option: Montez Sweat. Kid is going to shoot up draft boards I think. He's looked good at SB practice.Hoping he's not a one trick pony like Nick Perry. 
2nd option: Take an OT.
3rd option: Jachai Polite. He's kinda small but hopefully he can add to his frame. Would be a red shirt year for him. 
4th option: Trade back.

Thompson hasn't looked great in his last 2 games. TE and ILB is pretty early @ 12. I could live with a CB I guess but that would be yet another 1st we spend on a DB.

Now, if any those guys are there at 30? Sure, I'm all for it.

10 hours ago, Golfman said:

Gary opened up his own sports agency and he's his first client. I'd take him off my board. I don't think his commitment is to football first and foremost. Admire the kid for his entrepreneurial aspirations, but if I'm drafting a kid with a premium pick, I want him completely committed to football.  

I see bust written all over him. 

Couple things here.  Do I see a "bust"?  Yah, production didn't match up with athleticism.  I don't want him at #12.  Hoping he goes before GB as that helps push another guy down to us.

About that sports agency....  At first I thought as you do...questioning his commitment to football.  But after reading his quotes, he sounded very intelligent.  Like he wants to form an agency that helps young kids with the influx of money so that their futures are set.  So...as far as a "red flag", well, I don't think that in and of itself is a red flag.  Combine his lack of production with that outside interest and yah, it kind of adds up.

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I guess the real question with edge rushers at #12 is whether the 5th or 6th best rusher is still better than the second best OT or CB, or the best TE or safety.

Bosa, J.Allen, Gary, Ferrell, Polite may well all be gone in the first 11 picks. I'd be tempted by Polite or Ferrell, if they are still there, but you have to game a situation where those two and the others are gone beforehand, so you can deal with that on the day of the draft.

I would consider Polite a nice consolation prize at #12.  If he measures well at the combine, and Bosa/Allen/Ferrell/Q Williams are off the board, he's my guy.  I'm not trading back and "hoping" he is there.

If he isn't there, I'm all for a trade back and look at that Texas DE or Ferguson from LA Tech.

Thompson is to be avoided until our second first round pick.

I like White, but if you want him, trade down.  And...I'm not sure if he is really better than Mack Wilson.

Sweat...again, trade down.

No to a corner.  No to Fant that high.

I like the OT Williams.  Unsure about him at #12, though.  If the board were devastated, well, then I'm good with him, but would prefer a trade down.  To me, he would be the best value of the bunch that remains from your list.

Combine is the key for me as it will tell the full story of Polite.  Love the quickness, speed and power.  If he is a true 6'1'' and change, or 6'2'', then I'd take him.  He's got some of those Dwight Freeney skills that don't come around all that often.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

I'm struggling on Zach Allen so far @Outpost31. Seems too weak to bull rush and too slow to speed rush. 275-280 is just a brutal area for a DL to be. Datone was eternally stuck there and he fought the same struggle. He's got the frame to either gain or lose weight, I'd like to see him pick one and go for it.

I just want JJ Watt 2.0.  That's not realistic, so I'll settle for a DL who provides as good a pass rush as an EDGE.  I feel like maneuverability is really underrated for DL these days.  Watt can play virtually any position on the front 7 except for ILB, so could Donald.  That's why Allen is so intriguing to me.  He played all along that line and generated pressure from every spot, even standing up in a couple clips I've seen. 

For some strange reason it looks like Ed Oliver's stock is falling.  He's another. 

Anthony Nelson is another, later prospect I like. 

I love Daniels and Clark, but I feel like, especially with Pettine returning, somebody's gotta be a game wrecker on that DL, and I don't think that's Daniels, definitely not Clark (as good as Clark is at what he does). 

I want the Derwin James of the DL.  Whoever that is. 

31 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I just want JJ Watt 2.0.  That's not realistic, so I'll settle for a DL who provides as good a pass rush as an EDGE.  I feel like maneuverability is really underrated for DL these days.  Watt can play virtually any position on the front 7 except for ILB, so could Donald.  That's why Allen is so intriguing to me.  He played all along that line and generated pressure from every spot, even standing up in a couple clips I've seen. 

For some strange reason it looks like Ed Oliver's stock is falling.  He's another. 

Anthony Nelson is another, later prospect I like. 

I love Daniels and Clark, but I feel like, especially with Pettine returning, somebody's gotta be a game wrecker on that DL, and I don't think that's Daniels, definitely not Clark (as good as Clark is at what he does). 

I want the Derwin James of the DL.  Whoever that is. 

Assuming the top EDGE rushers are off the board at 12 I would definitely be in for Oliver or Simmons whichever one is there. Otherwise, I trade down with say, Washington who has to be in the market for a QB. Teams desperate for a QB tend to overpay. 

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Assuming the top EDGE rushers are off the board at 12 I would definitely be in for Oliver or Simmons whichever one is there. Otherwise, I trade down with say, Washington who has to be in the market for a QB. Teams desperate for a QB tend to overpay. 

Whats the list / cutoff you're thinking of?

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Whats the list / cutoff you're thinking of?

Bosa, Josh Allen, Ferrell, Polite I"d take at 12. Not sure I could pull trigger on Sweat, Burns or Zach Allen at 12, in this point of the proceedings. I want NOTHING to do with Rashan Gary. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. There are a couple of other kids who might shoot up the board if they blow away the combine as well. I see no way Bosa or Josh Allen are there at 12. 

I actually think Sweat might be a combine hero and go in top 10 before it's over. 

16 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Bosa, Josh Allen, Ferrell, Polite I"d take at 12. Not sure I could pull trigger on Sweat, Burns or Zach Allen at 12, in this point of the proceedings. I want NOTHING to do with Rashan Gary. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. There are a couple of other kids who might shoot up the board if they blow away the combine as well. I see no way Bosa or Josh Allen are there at 12. 

I actually think Sweat might be a combine hero and go in top 10 before it's over. 

Okay. Good focus post.

I've read reservations about Polite's size. He's from U of F (my alma mater btw) and contrary to my standard practice of not watching college ball - I actually tuned in some (more) this year - to their games. Cant say I recall him killing it. He made some plays sure......but didnt strike me as some awesome talent - which means nothing. I wasnt scouting the game - just watching.

Archived